Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / A minor update to FPSC by Natflash

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2006 17:34 Edited at: 14th Aug 2006 17:36
Hello peeps, I've just finished playing around with the FPSC Source Code, and have decided to share the (minor) update with you, although I have'nt done much; I've just made a few tweaks for speed, also when you use the screencapture feature (F12) it saves straight to a jpg so theres no faffing around converting it.

If there is anything you want me to try to implement just ask and I'll give it a bash, or if you find any bugs tell me about them and I'll try to find out whats causing it.

BTW Dont ask for a flashlight I'm working on it.
Oh and save/load will be very hard if I attempt it.

To install just put it into the root directory of your FPSC installation.

***REMEMBER TO ALWAYS BACKUP YOUR ORIGIONAL FPSC-Game.exe***
I will not be held responsable if you mess up your FPSC installation.

Download Link
http://www.natsam.co.uk/Natsam/FPSC-Game.zip

Enjoy!

Visit http://www.natsam.co.uk to find out about my games.
[href][/href]
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2006 17:57 Edited at: 14th Aug 2006 17:59
i screwed it

no backup!

YAY!

re-install!

EDIT:

fixed!

now lets see if it works...

e-Drome Productions website,we renewed one with 1GB of webspace and Paypal!w00t!

e-Drome website
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2006 18:01 Edited at: 14th Aug 2006 18:05
it cant find a dll...

time to change some files!

MFC71.dll cannot be found,re-installing the application may solve this problem.

that isnt good...

e-Drome Productions website,we renewed one with 1GB of webspace and Paypal!w00t!

e-Drome website
brummel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2006 18:18
Thank you! A faster FPSC is always welcome.

Dont forget to visit my website for scripts!
Dog
Years of Service
User Offline
Please post feedback. I look forward to hear how the patch worked. Thank you for your hard work and sharing with the community Natflash.

Natflash Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2006 20:12 Edited at: 14th Aug 2006 20:19
Your welcome guys, but sorry I forgot to put in these additional files, you need to replace your existing files with the ones attached, put them in the same folders as in the zip.
Sorry for any confusion.

EDIT Dont use the file attached (I attached the wrong one) use this download
http://www.natsam.co.uk/Natsam/FPSCreator.zip

Remember to backup your origional files!

[href][/href]

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2006 20:21
what does the source fix actually do?!

I need the source not to steal priority from enemy entities. at all.

do you think thats possible?!

Natflash Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2006 20:49 Edited at: 14th Aug 2006 20:50
Quote: "I need the source not to steal priority from enemy entities. at all."

Could you explain that a little more please, then I'll see if its possible.

[href][/href]
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2006 21:04
Natflash,it still misses the .dll,is it my computer,or your version of FPSC?

e-Drome website
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2006 21:06
Ok, if you have a look in the source there is a section about characer entities and priorities, you may be able to decipher more, but from what I could understand, it took priority away from what it considered to be 'inactive' characters. I think this basically explains why some characters refuse to respond until shot. It might also explain the 'animated walking but not moving' bug with waypoints.
I figured if the engine didn't take priority away from characters, they would operate more effectively. The consequent strain on the cpu may make the game unplayable, but I think its worth a try, cuz if the CPU could handle the extrain strain, the gameplay would improve so much.
I hope that's clearer! I'm not entirely sure myself, but I'd really appreciate you lookin into it!

get back to me,
butters

brummel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2006 21:23
You mean you want all your character always active? Thats what i would want too.

Dont forget to visit my website for scripts!
Natflash Games
Years of Service
User Offline
OK butters, I'll take a look into that.
@Accel Leon, well I dont really know whats wrong, I've checked my FPSC directory, and I cant find anything to do with a MFC71.dll

[href][/href]
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2006 21:31
i guess my whole computer misses it and you do have it.

e-Drome website
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2006 21:38
Natflash. I'm writing a new AI for fpsc. It's kind of different from anything before, but some of it relies on waypoints (check the Sensei AI post in here). With the current random waypoint bug, the new AI sometimes (unfairly) fails. Also, so issues with entities not activating when there are like 3 guys is just plain annoying.

Basically I'm asking if you could colab with me on this. If you can remove the character limiting, my AI would run smooth as a nut, and we'd have a wicked little package to give the community. A new exe with a new AI!

Natflash Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Well I've managed to remove the entities priorities, but they all seem to be playing the same animations at the same time and move in the same direction and motion, so it looks stupid and if one entity cant get past a wall but the other can none can they just stop and run on the spot, also if you kill one they all die. I dont know what I'm doing wrong here but its pretty wierd.

[href][/href]
bdgbdg
Years of Service
User Offline
Great JOB!!! Continue your work. Fixes and patches are always good (I think).

I'm unknown
Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: MAFIA 2
Posted: 15th Aug 2006 00:47
It dosnt work! dll file is missing error...

I want to see a FPSC Professional! And lets make it REALLY expensive this time......
Natflash Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Well heres the dll, I dont quite know where it goes, I found it in my compiler directory, try putting it in the root folder of FPSC.

[href][/href]

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Bongo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I think this basically explains why some characters refuse to respond until shot. It might also explain the 'animated walking but not moving' bug with waypoints."

I had that problem at first but I found out that all you have to do is tap the "page up" button and have enemies slightly off the ground and they move around just fine and follow waypoints perfectly. You can't tell that they aren't actually touching the ground. Plus I always increase their view cone to at least 80 or 90 so that they don't have tunnel vision.

Quote: "Also, so issues with entities not activating when there are like 3 guys is just plain annoying.
"

I don't have that problem at all anymore. Raising the enemies slightly off the ground fixed all those issues I had like that. I'm making maps with up to 5 or six enemies activated at a time. I hardly ever make a map with all the enemies spawning at the load of the map anymore. The only problems I DO have now is the messed up enemy animations. (mainly when you shoot them and they fall down and then get back up and do that floating swimming animation,.. but that seems to only happen with the default enemy animations. I've downloaded some user made enemies with custom animation and custom AI and that problem isn't there. Further inspiration to learn how to model and animate and write scripts for my own enemies.

I like pie.
Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2006 10:35
Quote: "I need the source not to steal priority from enemy entities. at all."

Personally I believe it doesn't and that the waypoint bug is an error in environment rather then execution. I mean I do recall having a waypoint system set up and it worked perfectally, even at great distance (500 units). The 'stealing of prioity' is just giving less calculating time to further entitys and that is SMART. I don't see how this will cause entitys to stand still, even at distance they have their scripts run.

Finally, there should be an 'allways active' field in the entity properties.

Okay, you need to 'attach' the dlls to the exe or some crap like that. currently they aren't associated or what not so crap happens. Don't ask me, DBP isn't my Language of Choice. See if you can bother one of the DBP'rs instead.

Nat, are you saying that saving variables is hard just to get people off your back? I can tell you what you need to save for a quick patch. All you really need to load another level is to change the level number in memory before the startgame is initiated. (I haven't read that part in a while so I am not really getting technical with it)

Quote: "Well I've managed to remove the entities priorities, but they all seem to be playing the same animations at the same time and move in the same direction and motion, "

You are appearntly running one enemy as all enemys (recives the duhh) basically it sounds like you removed a condition that changes the script read but still have a for next changing the entity selected.

Finally, WHAT does this do?

Your Mod was deleted by the Government.
Natflash Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2006 14:25 Edited at: 15th Aug 2006 17:20
No i'm not saying its hard to save variables, I'm saying its hard to save everything but as you said, it can be done easier, if the game starts at level two when its loaded, I guess it can be done by like you said changing (or loading) the level number into the memory I might try, but by no means is this another Riker 9, I'm making no promises.

[href][/href]
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2006 15:23
The sharing of Dynamic Entities think time in FPSC is not much different than it is in any other engine, not much different from any sharing related to computers or anything else in real life even.

It has to do with the math and the laws of the wider universe in general.

Its like haveing a cake and cutting it up into pieces to share it out so if some recieve a bigger slice then others have to be satified with a smaller one - eventually if there are two many wanting a slice - then someones going to go without completely and you know what happens then - they starve.

Thus you have sharing set up the way you have it - give a large slice to one then take it away and give it to another - - Lee made it so for good reason at the time.

Trouble is there is just not enough to go around.

Whats needed is an actual bigger cake. without getting into very much complex detail :

Bigger cake = a more efficient engine where the overall level of handling of data all round is improved - quite dramatically.

Its actually more complicated than that as there are many other things other than AI think time and Sharing of time amongst dynamic entities that affect the overall fps, gameplay speeds, character behaviours and so on - pathfinding, high poly counts, texture handling and the serious lagg issue and much more contribute to the eating into the cake and take a big slice away from dynamic entities which are only one part of the problem of engine speed issues and resultant Dymanic entity bad behaviours.

We can think of various ways this might be helped along but its vastly complicated involving many issues - some of them may be relative to the editor and compile issues and there you are stuck as we dont and will apparently never have the source to that.

Natflash Games,

I applaud your efforts and am sure you will learn a great deal from working with the source and make a valuable contribution to the community.

Your a braver man than I.

Personally if I were to work with the source it would be after any update when I can see where FPSC stands at that time.

Still I wish you good luck with your work and welcome your most valued contribution to the knowledge base of user findings.

I thank you for your endeavours.

"I am and forever will be your friend"
Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2006 01:06 Edited at: 16th Aug 2006 01:07
@Natflash Games

I do believe there is a savearray command so that you would only need to save the arrays

entityelement
player
weaponslot
weaponammo
playerinventory

and variables

gunid
level

include
camera position x()
camera position y()
camera position z()

is it annoying to setup, yeah. Won't blame you if you don't try.

find
if (plrkeyW)=1 or (plrkeyS)=1 or (plrkeyA)=1 or (plrkeyD)=1
movement=1 : if crouchmode<>0 then movement=2
and add
tcameraspeed#=(speed#*playerspeedratio#*(0.5+(cameradampen#/2.0)))*(35/screen fps())

give or take, that should speed up the player when fps is low.

Your Mod was deleted by the Government.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-08 06:34:34
Your offset time is: 2024-10-08 06:34:34