Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / GDK Request Object delete mesh

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK is my friend
Posted: 18th Aug 2006 14:21
I would like a function that would enable you to place an object1 over another object2 ie terrain object. Have both objects overlapping and delete from the terrain object (object 2) the mesh data. Glue object1 to object2 and then when you update the terrain you will have a crater created at the intersection of the two objects. This would allow for bullet dents to be placed in walls and craters in terrain objects left over from explosions etc

fubar
Kaiyodo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2006 15:01
What you're suggesting is a boolean operation on arbitrarily shaped meshes which is both computationally expensive and incredibly complex to solve correctly for all cases. It's not something you want to be doing in real-time.

This is overkill for the effects you actually want anyway. Terrain craters can be achieved by moving the heights of the terrain points down around the area of the explosion. Bullet dents in walls are better done with decals. You can get a decent depth effect using bump/normal mapping. It's not perfect, but it won't cripple your machine

Kaiyodo.
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2006 15:46
It might be worth looking to see of the CSG functions made their way into GSDK

Come to the last Unofficial DBPro Convention (http://convention.logicstudios.net/)
Supplying "NO" since 1974...
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK is my friend
Posted: 21st Aug 2006 02:59
thanks for the suggestions

fubar
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service