Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Difference between Level Preview and Build

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2006 21:41 Edited at: 19th Aug 2006 21:42
Does anyone know what the difference is between when FPSC runs in "test level mode" and when it runs from a standalone build? Accept of course that there is no intro screen and only one level. On my machine they don't act the same (as in one works and one doesn't) and I am trying to diagnose why. It would also just be nice to know the difference if someone does.

Some questions:

Both seem to use the same support files and the FPSC-Game.exe. Is this true?

What differences exist and is FPSC-Game.exe called with some parameters or something (assuming the above statement is true)?

Keith
Candle_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2006 23:51
Quote: "my machine they don't act the same"

What would not be the same?

keithml
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2006 00:01
There has to be some reason the standalone black screens and the "test level mode" doesn't. But from what I can tell they run off the same executable code and the build just has a copy of everything from the files directory that it needs. There doesn't seem to be much that is different but knowing what is different is the key. Any clues on what is different?

Keith
Candle_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2006 01:18
Have you tried to build the game with out anything fancy check?
Like turn off shaders full lighing etc. run just the min and build the game and if it works right then start to add things.
Or maybe should ask you if you started that way?
You haven't said what you have done so hard to say what to do.

keithml
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2006 01:53 Edited at: 20th Aug 2006 01:54
Thanks for staying with me here Candles. A mod moved my last post about Black Screening to the Bug Report section, so I am trying to stay off the specific bug and ask the more general question on "what is the difference between the two modes". To keep the mod gods happy I'll keep the specifics on my problem in the bug forum thread below:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=87044&b=28

I've answered your question there, so refer to it there. For the general discussion I hope to snare an answer here.

Surely there is someone out there (probably quite a few) who knows what the difference is between the two events from a file, executable, and parameter perspective.

Keith
Candle_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2006 02:07
I don't know what to tell you to do. I'm luck here as I have a few computers I can use and one seems to work ok with FPSC.
Intill they fix a lot of bugs with fpsc I'm just using it for making backgrounds for my Adventure Game I'm making.

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2006 15:50
keithml,

Clearly there are some differences betwween a test compile and a final build game .exe compile generated from your level(s)- this is bourne out by various issues that can crop up inside a game .exe as opposed to one in test run when often they do not show up.

There are numerous issues that can and do crop up in a finished game complie not just the specific one you encounter.

Now actually asking users here to understand what goes on inside the various compile processes is rather a tall order - I doubt TGC fully understand it which may be one and only one contributory factor to why issues exist. There are many.

I have not followed your thread in the bug forum so dont know the details = clearly It would be best if that was looked at as there is very little info here about your problem other than theres a black screen.

But clearly - yes there is a difference or otherwise you would not encounter the problem.

I have suggested that FPSC use a system whereby an acumalative compile is used by which a level and game is build on that basis - thus you load into the eidtor a level (the same level) that is saved to an accumalative build. When editing only any upadated work would need be added to the compile - not the whole recompiled every time you test run - nor at final build. That means at all times the editor would use levels whch are a true state of your development at any one time (WYSIWYG)- levels always being compiled accunmalatively on the fly - as you go. When you have finished all of your individual levels - your game is already compiled and all that would be needed to be done would be to finally pack them together in order with your front end and so on.

Not quite as easy as that and that might not solve such problems.

Anyway that will likely never be incorporated - its another story.

"I am and forever will be your friend"

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-08 06:38:38
Your offset time is: 2024-10-08 06:38:38