Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / A Quick Question to Everyone

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello, I just have a quick question for everyone. On average, how many enemies does everyone put on one map typically? Please tell me I need to know for something I'm trying to figure out.
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2006 12:48
It's not a set amount of enemies. It depends on what else is going on in the map. As a basic rule I use this: the player never must be able to see more then 3 enemies at the time. If he encounters more at one time, the game performance will suffer, a lot.

http://www.gamefun4u.nl/index.html
GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2006 14:11
I have 7 active in one location though not quite all necessarily to view at one time. Still they all have an accumalative influence on performance and its pushing the limits somewhat in an otherwise also complex level. Much optimisation is required to achieve this.

One would have difficulty in inserting a large number of people or perdestrians in an outdoor city level. Add some vehicles moving around and considering any other dynamic entity requirement - its asking for a lot in FPSC.

Loading and unloading such entities is about the only way to AI achieve optimisation and still keep relatively decent numbers in such scenarios I would think, but designing that in is difficult and limiting to the game level design and restrictive on where the player can go and how he gets there.

The only other option is to stick to sparsely pouplated and make like its that kind of game.

Hers a tip : If you want to show some characters at long distance or at locations you cant get to - say high up in a window in a building try using a decal with some people images and remove them if necessary when you get near. The FPSC world is a little small to make it believeable but you might just get away with it with the right lighting and so on. If its dark you wont necessarily need a full AI character.

Its surprising what you can get away with. You might even use simple very low poly models at distance and invent your own LOD system - now theres a thought for the creative thinkers and innovative users here.

If someone else dont do it I might.

Well say thank you - I'm full of helpful information.

"I am and forever will be your friend"
Bane
Years of Service
User Offline
ok I was just wondering because if I place more then 10 enemies on the map my game always crashes. Oh well I'll compensate for that by making shorter levels but making more.
Candle_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2006 05:50
You can have more by having them spawn with a trigger zone so you have more but not at the sametime.

Cyborg
Years of Service
User Offline
I have ten but all split up

Quoth the raven "Nevermore."

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-08 06:39:31
Your offset time is: 2024-10-08 06:39:31