Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Sci-Fi Viewscreen

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Does anyone have any idea how I might be able to create a giant "window" which I could use as a Starship "view-screen"? basically a large space with the skybox showing through?

(without leaving a caping hole in the map straight out to space, of course )

Any suggestions would be most welcome!

Thnx in advance
Lunarwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2006 02:03 Edited at: 22nd Aug 2006 02:08
**** OR ****

Can anyone give me any idea how I can alter the [Sci-fi] Window:Large segement to make it a little more transparent and remove the Bio-Hazard symbol please?
Candle_
Years of Service
User Offline
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2006 03:18 Edited at: 22nd Aug 2006 03:20
If you are not good at making new entities or segments - Your easiest option would be to use the current SciFi Window you refer to and use a different texture for the glass if you dont want to have to make one.

Firstly you might try this - if you can find another window with plain texture - place one in level (Remove later) - in editor try and right click on the glass part to go to the glass entities properties - look see what the texture name and location is is? Write it down - now you know where to find a plain glass texture - you can look directly for one in the FPSC folders if you want. Now in editor place your SCi-Fi large window and again right click the glass if you can to go to properties - look for the textiure and change it to the plain one you found earlier. That should do it.

Slightly harder to do ....

Not sure if it would work correctly but you could find in the FPSC folders another plain glass texture used by another window - one that has no symbol on it.

Then find the script file of the Sci-Fi large window you wish to use - open it in notepad and look for the name of the glass entity it uses - close it but dont save - no need.

The entity would also show up in the entities library in editor.

That done you can open the Sci-Fi Large window segment - glass entity script file in notepad and change the reference to the new plain texture file name and location that you wish to use. This done you can save it.

The transaperncy can also be indicated in the script file or possibly in the editor by right clicking on the glass entity and changing the transparency setting. You can set this as o, 1, 2, 3 or 4 and see what if any difference it makes. Ideally though to get a transparency perfectly to the level of transparency percentage you may want you would have perhaps to make a new texture with alpha channel with transparency amount controlled in the making of it. On of the defaults should do you until you learn more of these things.

That may all sound complicated - its not.

Just try and follow the steps one at a time and you will get there. No hurry as once you crack it you will have learned something valuable and it gets easier from there on in.

Remember dont change anything critical or unecessarily in any script or anywhere else for that matter. Best advice is to backup anything you play around with in case or mistakes - before you start.

In fact its a good idea to back up your whole FPSC installation after install and frequently thereafter.

Hope that helps a little.

"I am and forever will be your friend"
Lunarwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Candles Games & Uman : Thank you both very much, I will give both your suggestions a go and let you know the outcome
Lunarwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
SUCCESS!

@Uman: Thanks for the info! Whilst I was on limited time (on route to work) when I originally posted this, and therefore used Candles Games' option, the notes on how to achieve this made a lot of sense and were v.useful. Cheers!

@Candles Games: The thread you pointed me to worked perfectly for what I needed. Many thanks!

(and FredP: thanks for your window mod!)
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2006 09:51
No problem.Glad to help.And thanks to Candles and Uman.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-08 06:34:44
Your offset time is: 2024-10-08 06:34:44