Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / "Error: The FPM File is Corrupt" ... not a happy bunny...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline

Last night (ok, this morning, about 3am-ish) I was working on my level in FPSC and my pc died. Well, it rebooted without warning to be exact.

Now, I can load up FPSC, but whenever I try to load my level, I get the message: "Error: The FPM file is corrupt" and it closes it.

Has anyone else encountered this?
Does FPSC not have a "recovery" or "repair" ability for the files?

It seems a bit daft (not to mention large on HDD space) to keep making copies/backups of your main file every time you make a significant change...

Does anyone know of any way of recovering the data? or do I just need to cry a bit, put it down to experience and start all over again?

*lives in hope*
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2006 18:26
Personally I dont know of any way to recover them if you dont make backups.

I dont know what the FPSC files in the temp directory hold and I would think that one would need to contact TGC about the technical issues regarding them perhaps. I presume they may conatin info about levels but I dont know of any documentation which describes if they are of any user to the end user.

I thought that FPSC created a separate world file description of the last level worked on but cant be sure if such a useful file exists nor if it can be opened anyway in the editor - Someone here no doubt will have a answer to that if you wait a lttle for some more replies.

Ay! - always make backups as regularly as you can especially if you have made much progress or have just completed some important work in your game.

"I am and forever will be your friend"
Lunarwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Ah well, cheers anyway.

Back to the ol' Drawing Board I guess... heck, you live'n'learn, right?
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2006 19:57
I have had that happen to me...at least the "fpm file is corrupt" part.
Then when I ran FPSC again the .fpm file loaded fine.You might try that.
Then again,if your pc crashed in the middle of working on it there is no telling what happened to it...

bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2006 00:32 Edited at: 23rd Aug 2006 00:46
In a perfect world all software would do incremental backups of your work. Most don't, however.

I'm crazy when it comes to backing up, and I love to brag about my backup scheme...programs can be replaced, your original work cannot. I cringe whenever I see people running one hard drive on their system, with all their eggs in one basket, so to speak.

Check out a program called Syncback, there is a free version as well. You can schedule timed backups, every few minutes if you want, of any folder or file on your system.

My backup scheme is:
1. Two separate hard drives that contain data only, separate from my main OS drive, and I use Syncback to synchronise the files on them.

2. Get some sort of drive imaging software, I highly recommend Acronis TrueImage, it has saved my ass countless times. Don't rely on XP's lame system restore...

3. Make a Bart PE disk (http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/). Hardcore, yes, but it gives extra insurance against the "worst case scenario".

Good luck

Oops and I almost forgot, get an uninterruptable power supply for your PC, just do it, NOW.

----------------------------------------
"Your mom went to college."
My FPSC stuff at http://hyrumark.zftp.com/FPSC/hyrumarkfpsc.htm
Lunarwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
All wise words .... now all I need is to get paid this month...

Will do when I am richer tho

kraM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2006 08:41
You may also want to see why your box is rebooting. I'd disable automatic restart, it's just more MS bull. Why reboot the system with out any clue as to why? I'd rather see the blue screen, at least I'd know what happened. Anyway if you want to disable it, just go to Control Panel and hit System, then go to the advance tab, then hit Startup and Recovery - Settings button. Once open just uncheck "Automatically Restart" in the System Failure section. You will get the Blue Screen the next time your box takes a dump, but like I said it's better to know why, then just to have the OS reboot and let the problem go on and on and on, without a fix. And yes you can always go back and recheck the "Automatically Restart"

Surfin' The Apocalypse
Lunarwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks kraM - nice tip
Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2006 12:09 Edited at: 23rd Aug 2006 12:20
As far as the "Error: The FPM File is Corrupt" goes, I've had that happen to me twice but luckily it only affected me the first time.

While making the second episode in my game, Project Luna, I happily began to open the FPM to see that exact message and, believe me, if you saw my face that moment then you would have nightmares for years. Yes, I was annoyed.

That said, I learnt from that mistake. I backup EVERY single FPM that I make when I make enough changes, and even though I've had that error again, it didn't matter because I had made a backup only a day or so earlier.

Both FPM's that have gone corrupt have never gone back to normal unlike Fred, though.

EDIT: And backups of FPMs are hardly hard on HDD space; they're what, 100kb?

Evil has a new name. Demo out now!
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2006 12:41
Quote: "While making the second episode in my game, Project Luna, I happily began to open the FPM to see that exact message and, believe me, if you saw my face that moment then you would have nightmares for years. Yes, I was annoyed."

I call that the FPSC look and you can have that look for a variety of reasons.
One reason I have had that look is I spend forever designing something with FPSC and you can put one more entity in and to adjust your project so the entity goes with the flow of your game you might have to redo the whole game.
About a month after I got FPSC my pc crashed and I had to reboot it with the original OS cds that came with the computer.
While it did make a backup of everthing I had on my pc before it rebooted as if I had just turned it on for the first time almost all of my stuff had to be reinstalled and any install programs I had on my desktop were erased permanently.
You can imagine the fun I had contacting all sorts of sites with e-mails which began "Dir sir,I am an idiot..."
The positive way of looking at it is if your .fpm is corrupt and you can't use it anymore you can make it again and make it better than it was the first time.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-08 07:45:32
Your offset time is: 2024-10-08 07:45:32