Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Fpsc Licence. Multiple Installs

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2006 01:29 Edited at: 23rd Aug 2006 01:30
There is a thread that has been locked, in which someone asked how they could use the friends version of FPSC on a different computer.

Obviously the replies were all allong the lines of "Haa Pirate" etc

I have FPSC installed on my computer, I dont use it, its there for when my Nephew comes round, (Stupid Summer Holidays), whence he sits there for hours makeing FPSC games. There however is also a copy of it on his computer.

Now I dont think Im doing anything "Morally" wrong by doing this, it was bought for him as a present, only one version runs at a time. And if worst came to worst I could simply uninstal it and reinstal it as nessecary.

However I get the feeling from the above mentioned thread, that this is in fact illeagal. Can anyone, give a company stance on this. I realize that most people here are not spokesmen for THC, and so if you want to reply with opinions, then please make it clear that it is just that, an opinion

H&K
Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2006 01:51
In my opinion, I don't think TGC would have a problem with this... Although it may technically be illegal, I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

But that's just my opinion...

I don't want to see a FPSC Professional!
BULLSHOCK 2
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2006 03:45
Althought i beleive the license says you may install it on computers that you own, I still personnaly think that its ok. as long as one version is running at a time, and the same person usses both versions, i dont see a problem. -[my oppinion]

now in the case of the thread i locked, the person wanted to know how he could get his freinds version of FPSC on his computer, so that they could both work on the game, which is the definition of piracy.

http://www.seqoiagames.com/seqoiacorp/
HandK
Years of Service
User Offline
Ah, dont worry about the other thread, that was definatly a case of Piracy. The only problem about locking it, was that I had wanted to post this question there, and not create a new thread.

I just feel more confortable now saying things like, "The enity works right on his computer, but on mine its green (Or whatever)", without getting flamed.

I still expect to get flamed, but Its a lot nicer getting flamed when you know other people thing you are right as well

H&K
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2006 16:58
i got FPSC installed on 3 computers

1)My own
2)My dads
3)my little brothers.

so im illegal i dont own 2 of the three...

NAH jk,i think you may install it on different computers,aslong as the computers are in your own house.

e-Drome Productions website,we renewed one with 1GB of webspace and Paypal!w00t!

e-Drome website
SkyCubes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2006 04:23
The question here is not what any one person "thinks" or "feels" is appropriate or legal. The question is 'What does the license agreement say?'.

Let's take a looksie...

1.1 You are permitted on a non exclusive basis to:
(a) load the Software into and use it on a single computer which is under your control;
(b) transfer the Software from one computer to another provided it is used on only one computer at any one time;

Define "Transfer"...

Transfer: to convey or remove from one place, person, etc., to another: He transferred the package from one hand to the other.

Doesn't get any more black and white than that folks.

"Trust no one" --Deepthroat (X-Files)
HandK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2006 05:10 Edited at: 24th Aug 2006 05:18
As a totaly pointless reply to skycubes

Quote: "(b) transfer the Software from one computer to another provided it is used on only one computer at any one time"

Simultaneity is something we rarely think about - we just accept it as a fact of life. However, thinking matters through, it isn't obvious at all how one can determine whether or not two events at two different locations happen simultaneously, or not.

Absolute simultaneity is a hypothetical coincidence of two or more events in different points in space for all observers in the universe. It is shown in the theory of relativity that there may be always observers for whom simultaneity won't correspond to the same moments in time and therefore simultaneity is always relative.

More simply two events happening in two different locations that occur simultaneously to one observer, may occur at different times to another observer

More simply still, just cos you say that its not being used on two computers at the same time, doesnt mean it isnt

Then we have the problem of the basic unit of Time, I could argue that the most basic "One time", would be decribed as Now. This though then begs the question of how long is now. I could not argue with the person that said that today is now, and therefore it could be argueed that any two events that occored today took place at the same time.

Thosands of dinosaurs species became extinct across the globe at the same time. Fairly resonalbe statment. Yet this event took at least one day, and in all probability several months. Yet we are willing to credit it with "Same Time"

H&K
Bloodeath 6 6 6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2006 06:08
why cant we use it as once, because well to be honest, if its in your house by your family why does it matter

www.Disorder-Creations.com
Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2006 07:46
Skycubes said:
Quote: "The question is 'What does the license agreement say?'. "

No the question asked was:
Quote: "Can anyone, give a company stance on this."

Skycubes it also says in most games license agreements (that I have read), that you are not permitted to loan the game... Have you never loaned a friend a game?

As HandK said he could uninstall/install FPSC every time his nephew comes over, seems a bit pointless to me... It would be nice to hear an official stance on this particular subject...

I don't want to see a FPSC Professional!
BULLSHOCK 2
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2006 15:03
I doubt TGC will say anything about this subject, because if they did, it would in some ways be like voiding the license.

I think as long as only one person usses and benifits from the software, its ok.

http://www.seqoiagames.com/seqoiacorp/
SkyCubes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2006 16:29 Edited at: 24th Aug 2006 16:30
Handk,

Interesting post. Still scratching my head in wonder, but I'll get there

Traxas,

Quote: "Can anyone, give a company stance on this."

You are correct in that this was the inital question posed in this thread. However, as I have clearly pointed out in a purely objective manner, TGC has in fact responded to that question. Since the license agreement was developed and imposed by TGC, they have already given their answer.

Of course, that doesn't stop folks from speculating on the morality of their choices, nor will it probably end any debate here about it, but the fact remains that the initial question was asked and offically answered by TGC.

"Trust no one" --Deepthroat (X-Files)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-08 07:42:30
Your offset time is: 2024-10-08 07:42:30