Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Level Design Contest Entries.....Your Chance To Play Them!

Author
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2006 06:15 Edited at: 26th Aug 2006 01:09
OK, I know everyone's been waiting for this list of entries to test out themselves; so without anything further, here they are (Winners listed first).

1st Place: Disturbing13

2nd Place: Candle

3rd Place: Higgins

The Runners Up:

BenjaminA

Xplosys

Luke314pi

OJA

I hope you have as much fun playing these levels as we did. Thanks again for all the Contestants, and the Prize Donors.

Happy Hunting.

-Keith

Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2006 07:40
@ Candles- Very cool, I was kinda expecting those guys but not minis LOL.
@Higgins- Awsome, I love the zombie farmhouse theme. It brought me back to night of the living dead
@BenjaminA- Very cool and great look, I hope your pursuing a full project in that style, its so much differnt than what we normally see in FPSC projects
@Brian-Very nice and believable looking trainstation.
@Luke- I found the tables very helpfull with those zombies
@Oja- very creepy atmosphere,loved the prison section.

Connor Higgins
User Banned
Posted: 24th Aug 2006 13:50
Hey D13 i thought your game wus amazing it scared me with the lsrge monster thing

super cool timmy turner has fairy godparents and i am not a mad science teacher i am a real boy so FAIRIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lunarwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
D/L and playing them in order, so:

@ D13: Veeeery nice I found the sniper rifle!
Could you have a word with the cultists though, ask them to summon something nicer next time? like a bunny or something??

custom models are superb
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2006 15:29
There was a sniper rifle? Dang it.

brummel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2006 15:31 Edited at: 24th Aug 2006 15:31
I couldnt find it either but i managed to complete the mission anyway. Great games everyone!

My site is now updated with info and a teaser about my game The Peacemakers. My blog is now ready and i have written my first contribution!

Check it out now!
Connor Higgins
User Banned
Posted: 24th Aug 2006 15:48
i died so i had to stop

super cool timmy turner has fairy godparents and i am not a mad science teacher i am a real boy so FAIRIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lunarwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
@Candles: How wonderfully random! ...not quite what you expect in the graveyard there...

V.Original
Medieval Coder
Years of Service
User Offline
I dont usually come here.....to...this place....

However I must say that disturbing did a great job modeling and animating the enemy type thing...

Lunarwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
@ Higgins: "Geet owf my laaaaaaand!" I feel like a red-kneck already

Creepy, jumpy, creepy and spooky! Nice game, and I'm glad you get the shotgun fairly quickly - how many of those guys where there? Horaay for Zombies!

Good Job sir.
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2006 16:34
How many games can you play where the enemy spots you and screams..."Infidel"?
It would be nice to know where the sniper rifle was...(hint,hint).
I thought all of the entries were good.Now you see why I said I'm glad I was not a judge.I would have had a hard time picking the winners.
The overall quality of the entries was much,MUCH better than the first level design compeition,with the exception of Higgins' entry which was good.The others from the first one were subpar,even for an FPSC game.
If there is another level design competition I hope that you all put the same kind of effort into the entries as the people did this time around.
But now to the important question...
Are any of you going to release the custom media that you used to make these levels?
I know Higgins is going to be releasing his as part of a pack.
What about the rest of you?

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 24th Aug 2006 17:45
Close your eyes and let your mind drift back a year, or even six months to when the demos and levels displayed in the Showcase section were all the same, dull, boring thing.

I, for one, am impressed not only by these levels, but by the growth of the community as a whole. The level design, graphics, models, etc... we are seeing now are really impressive and getting better all the time.

Let them ask if anyone has made or sold a game. Let them doubt the ability of this engine as driven by those with skill, ingenuity and ability. I don't see limitations. I see challenges, and apparently, so do you.

Great job, everyone.

Happy game making.

Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2006 19:46
@FredP-ever wonder what was in those alcoves in the main cathedral (final area)

and yes I'm releasing the enemy models but not the weapon models

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2006 20:02
Quote: "@FredP-ever wonder what was in those alcoves in the main cathedral (final area) "

If you are talking about the really high areas in the cathedral,yes,I did.
I couldn't figure out how to get up there though.
So I whacked that really big,ugly guy with the starting weapon...
Rats,I was hoping you would release that rifle...I liked it.
You could make that level into a game if you wanted to.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2006 20:16
That big boss never attacked me at all (even when I shot at him several times)...until I shot one of his candlesticks....that really pissed him off!

brummel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2006 20:26
He only attacked me when i was in range. So it wasnt too hard to beat him.

My site is now updated with info and a teaser about my game The Peacemakers. My blog is now ready and i have written my first contribution!

Check it out now!
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2006 20:56 Edited at: 24th Aug 2006 20:57
Quote: "@BenjaminA- Very cool and great look, I hope your pursuing a full project in that style, its so much differnt than what we normally see in FPSC projects"

Thanks! I'm glad you found it different, since that was the idea of it. I already did a full game in this style.... just adapted the level for the competion. The full game (and a longer demo, screenshots & video) are here: http://www.gamefun4u.nl/page9.html

I'm downloading the other entries now to see what they've made.

http://www.gamefun4u.nl/index.html
GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2006 22:08
@FredP- yeah im using that in a steampunk genre type game later on. It's supposed to be a stempunk clockwork driven version of an MP5.

Quote: "I couldn't figure out how to get up there though."

As for the Sniper rifle, climb the stairs and hug the wall and you will "wall walk" to the alcoves.

Quote: "until I shot one of his candlesticks....that really pissed him off!"

LOL cool yeah i had some problems with his scripts. At first he would run across the room and push me against the wall till I passed through it, so I decided to make him immoble.

SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2006 00:28
Quote: "The overall quality of the entries was much,MUCH better than the first level design compeition,with the exception of Higgins' entry which was good"

Urm, Iam not sure what you mean by that fred, can you please explain?
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2006 02:01 Edited at: 25th Aug 2006 02:04
Well I've downloaded the top 3. All of them cool games! I thought Higgins game was quite funny, and Disturbing13's game was awesome, very good looking. Candle's level was very original.

But, I hope I'm allowed to have some critism on the judging results. The theme of the competition was wave based and even though all top 3 games looked really cool and played pretty good, there was only one wave based game in it. Higgins and Disturbing's games were just normal levels (but very cool looking and well done levels), with actually no swarming at all. Only Candle's level had real swarm in it, be it very short. I know it's hard to create a swarm game in FPSC, but imo at least the winner should represent somewhat of a wave based, but that wasn't the case at all. 2 out of 3 weren't swarm games at all and still won, so I'm dissapointed with that result.

I'm still going to play the other entries to see of others got closer to the theme.

GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2006 02:41
Ben, I was actually going to have more zombies in my level, but it lagged for me so I had to cut it back, making it less like a wave based game.

Wave based games are when the enimies keep spawning and come for the player. I had problems with the script I was using, so the zombes just walked into walls most of the time.

I hope to do better in my next level.
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2006 04:19
Quote: "The overall quality of the entries was much,MUCH better than the first level design compeition,with the exception of Higgins' entry which was good"

I meant that in the first level competition you had the only good entry.the other two were some slop thrown together so they could enter the contest.
Your entry into this level competition was even better.
I meant it as a compliment.

Lunarwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
@ Benjamin A: Nice game, Benjamin! it had a very polished, finished feel. The menus were good, as were all the custom models. A refreshing style change, too.

Plus, its the first of any of the demos thus far that I actually paniced in! the only one I ran out of ammo in!

All the models (right down to the "bullethole" decals),music and pacing all kept in with your theme - well done!
Lunarwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
@ Brian: Compliments... so many compliments - where to begin?

Well, the actuall level design was superb; I was ducking behind pillars and benches all over the place to avoid the barrage of bullets...

I loved the detail put into that level - the train itself was awesome (so much so I was a little dissapointed I couldnt get in there and shoot out the windows!) and the posters/grafitti gave it a believable touch - after I'd slain the enemy forces, I went round the level and checked out all the posters

Plus, it reminded me of Max Payne! now that cant be a bad thing, eh?
Lunarwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
@ Luke: Damnable flesh-eating critters!

Dunno about Shotgun Fury - I'd have preferred Minigun fury! (lol)
interesting idea, too - "drop-zombies"! Imagine if you could round them up and use them in bombing raids - after all, you wouldnt have to worry about breaking their legs on impact!

Nice game all-round, especially once you reach a table...Well Done!
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2006 13:15
Lunarwolf.. thanks for the comments!

Lunarwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
@ OJA: Love that music! brings me right back to Dawn of The Dead (the first one).

Level layout was good, with plenty of places to duck and cover.

One critisim, tho: alot of the times, the enemies just seemed to be standing there or running on the spot in the middle of the room - were the scripts having problems?

Overall tho, well done
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2006 21:56
@Lunarwolf

Thanks for the comments. The train in this one was just a place holder, but I'm working on a better model and one I hope to be able to actually use in game.

For those who don't know who Brian is, it's me. I'm not sure why they used my first name instead of my forum name.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2006 22:01
Sorry about that, it was almost Midnight when I put it all together. Brian was the name in the file download, so I used it as I had forgotten who's it was. If any of the other entrants wants their screenname (and it's not already up there), let me know.

-Keith

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2006 22:05 Edited at: 25th Aug 2006 22:07
Disturbing13; when you figure out the specifics of next month's Level Design Contest, I need you to either contact me with it, or post it here (also, if you are abstaining from the competition, you are invited to be a judge). Then I can start working on the rules, etc.; to give everyone an "official" heads up on it, before September starts.

Also, anyone donating prizes needs to post here, or contact me as well.

-Keith

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2006 22:15
No problem Keith. I just didn't want any confusion about my post. Thanks for your efforts in the contest and the forum as well.

Luke314pi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2006 23:14
On that same note, I am the Luke referred to above.

Thanks for the comments guys!
Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2006 23:22 Edited at: 25th Aug 2006 23:23
My bad, thought I already stated the theme in the other thread. I was going with Horror of any type, but it must cotain some sort of puzzle element in any form.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2006 01:10
OK, fixed Luke. D13 do you want to judge this time, or enter?

-Keith

Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2006 02:23
I'll be a judge, and I'm also putting up a choice of one of my packs as a prize.

kraM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2006 04:32
Wow, Congrats to all! I would not have wanted to be a judge for that one...

Ps. Hey, xplosys/Brian nice choice of music (lol) I'm glad to see some of my work in-game

Again Great Work Everyone!

Surfin' The Apocalypse
SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2006 04:40
I saw my really old park bench in xplosys game and my jail segments. I forget I released that bench
freakshow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2006 05:13
when i try to dl one, i cant get on ozarkgames.com. It says the operation times out...

Project:V, where something always lies in the shadows...
Formerly Crazy Al
Candle_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2006 06:18
Try flashget
Thanks for the kind remarks. Everyone have nice games was fun to play them all.

yarden
Years of Service
User Offline
Please I am new here maybe will be able to bring me instructor to the beginners to the software?

fps creator Of course

Thank you to the origins!
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2006 18:52
@ Freakshow; I'm not sure what the problem is, did you try them all? Let me know if you still have a problem.

@Yarden; I'm not sure that you've got the right thread for that post, but I'm sure everyone will tell you to read the manual and use the search button (not trying to sound harsh).

@Everyone:

I wonder if the judges votes should be made public or not? I like the way Rich (Opus Games; and others) dissected the games with their strengths and their weaknesses. For the record I placed Higgins in 2nd.

I'm just really happy to have recieved so many great entries this time around. It looks like I'll be running this next one; which D13 has deemed to be "Horror, with a Puzzle aspect". I'll brush up on the rules, and solidify everything (except the prize pool, which is usually fluid). I'll try to have everything posted by my B-Day (Sep. 2nd), both here and in the OG forums.

As I've said before, the OG site is changing quite a bit; I am almost finished with all the custom graphics/pages (members have been seeing WIP screenshots for sometime now). I will try to incorporate (with the help of The Old Man) a button/section on the main page to take you to all the official instructions/submission page. Until then, everything will be in the forums.

I hope to make this one even better. As D13 has chosen to be a judge this time, he is exempt from entering the next competition and will be taking my place as a judge.

-Keith

Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2006 19:32
D13- Great job man! I really enjoyed the level. I really liked your ghosts.

RF
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2006 20:00
Quote: "I wonder if the judges votes should be made public or not? "

I don't think so. We have appointed the judges, now lets let them do their job without scrutiny. There will always be those who disagree and I'm sure some hard feelings will come of it.

Just my 2 cents.

DamonV
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2006 21:40
Quote: "I wonder if the judges votes should be made public or not?"

Many competitions which I have seen, the comments and votes that the judges made are posted; I believe mainly so that the entrants and public can see how the judges voted and what they liked and disliked about the entries.

To some people it might be seen as a good idea, and others it might seem like a bad idea. For this particular competition I don't think the votes and comments should be released. If that was the intention it should have been something that would have been announced at the beginning of the competition. It may be a good idea for the next competition; however that will depend on any factors that are weighed in considering it.

Just my two-cents.

- Damon
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2006 22:30
I think I'm going to create a more clear-cut set of "guidelines" to follow for the judges (such as graphics, sound, design, fun factor, etc.); kind of like a template to follow when judging and giving their comments/critique, which is important for the game developer to....develop.

The actual votes therefore will remain privy to the judging committee. The more clear I make things from the start, the less confusing and frustrating the results in the competition will be.

-Keith

SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2006 22:35
Keith, how about a kind of form the judges fill in for each entry? On the form would be the areas which need judging with a score of 1-10. Maybe this would be released for people to see how good they did. Maybe all the scores for an entry would be rounded up so that the judges wouldnt be giving out their scores.
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2006 22:42
Yeah, some kind of worksheet for them to fill out with places for comments would be a good thing to create. I'll have to try to fit it into the schedule.

-Keith

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2006 22:55
Yes that would be good, since I still think it strange to have a theme for a competition and yet most of the winners of competition didn't really stick to the theme.

I guess sticking to the theme should make a considerable part of the points given on the worksheet. Or get rid of the theme, but that will take out part of the challenge also.

If an excellent game didn't excactly stick to the theme and others did, but may not be as excellent as the game that didn't, then the excellent game should not win. It's a bit like having a airplane competition, but letting the winged car that doesn't fly win.

I really hope that the value of having a theme and the importance of sticking to the theme will be taken into consideration.

The competition is great, the prizes are great, the entries were cool, but the results really suprised me.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2006 23:02
Personally; I would like to have a Level Design competition that is based on actual level design using only stock media native to the original install of FPSC (no TGC model packs at all). Anyone can put cool entities in a game, with sweet particle effects; but it takes a special developer to use what's at hand and design an engaging level.

-Keith

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2006 23:12
On the one hand a good idea, because now it feels like the most cool looking one did win, not the one coming closest to the theme.

On the other hand, people may loose interest in the competion and the whole challenge to excell in using custom media would be taken out.

So perhaps sticking to the theme competition idea, you could throw in theme's like best use of custom media or most original script used or best custom wall segments and so on. Basically stick to stock media unless specified otherwise.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-08 11:35:47
Your offset time is: 2024-10-08 11:35:47