Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Level Design Contest Entries.....Your Chance To Play Them!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2006 23:15 Edited at: 28th Aug 2006 23:16
Honestly, I think the last contest theme was vague at best, and confusing. The only requirment was to have enemies coming at you constantly, but for a level design contest you have to have some sort of movement so you can see... well, the level. I know my enemies spawed right after you killed them (They weren't just being knocked down) and in one section I had multiple spawning enemies in one go. So IMHO, sorry Higgins, but the theme was kinda confusing, resulting in levels that apparently didn't live up to some peoples expectations or definitions of what it was supposed to be.

I am completely in favor of the judging sheet to keep it organized. Sounds like an excellent idea.

I agree with Benjamin A about using custom media. Sometimes the base stuff lacks.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2006 23:45
I think that you nailed it, D13. I understood the 'spirit' of what Higgins' idea was, but the parameters weren't really hashed out enough I guess. Although Ben's level was good (with plenty of custom items/segments) it was pretty much contained in a single room. The picture I had in my head was someone in a bunker beating off enemy squads coming from all directions; or a level off of Serious Sam.

Perhaps I could list what is allowed like this (for example):

Custom Segments: ALLOWED

Custom Entities: NOT ALLOWED

Custom Music/Sounds: ALLOWED

.....Or something to that effect (not saying that's what's going to happen in the next one; just as an example of a restriction). I've also thought that having an "Anything Goes" competition (Custom anything is allowed), where there is no theme; but there are basic criteria to judge with (gameplay, graphics, sound, level design, fun factor, etc.).

-Keith

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2006 00:00
We could allow people to use custom entities provided that all forum members had access to them.
I think that using stock media as far as entities would be good.Then it would definitely be the level design that would be judged.
I can't wait until you get this lined out.I think I might enter this one.

SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2006 00:31
FPSC was made so you can import your own media, I cant see why we must stop that for a contest. There is only so much you can do with the stock media. But having to give out your media would be a joke if you spent days on it, I know you mean if you want to, but your not going to be allowed to use it if your not giving it away for free.
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2006 00:36
I completely agree with you. Also I don't see the point of allowing custom segments, sounds and music, but not custom entities.

http://www.gamefun4u.nl/index.html
GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2006 00:58
Higgins,
I do agree with you on having to make your media public.That is a decision that each developer must make on his or her own.
I do disagree with your opinion about stock models.It may take more effort than using custom media but it can be done.You did it yourself when you desgned the level for the WWII level design competition.
As far as custom segments go anyone can use the free FPSC entity maker or the free version of Signs to make custom segments in seconds.It's not like making a model.
And while I can't carry a tune in a bucket you can get free software to help you make music and sound effects.
Maybe instead of just using stock media we should be able to use and free media available on the FPSC forums.
Although I do have to say that it does seem unfair to say you can use other non-stock media but you have to use stock models.
This is all just my opinion and I am not trying to offend anyone.
In the end those wiser than myself will make those decisions.

Candle_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2006 04:55
I think winners should wait out one Contest and give others a chance.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2006 05:45
If we ever get more than 10 entries for a contest, then I can see instituting that rule. Until then, we need all the entries that we can get (quality ones preferred of course).

-Keith

DamonV
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2006 09:42
Hello KeithC,

I have a quick question about the next competition then, you said you should have everything posted on your birthday (Sept 2nd, Happy Upcoming Birthday); however, does this mean then the next competition will start when that information is released, or will it be a seperate day afterwards that the next level design contest will begin?

Thanks.

- Damon
SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2006 10:07
If the winners have to sit out the following contest, then whats the point in taking part? I do this for fun and to try to win a prize, I dont want to have to sit out. If your bad at level design, tough, thats your problem.
Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2006 10:29 Edited at: 29th Aug 2006 10:30
Keith (and anyone else who can help, naturally),

I'm personally loving the choice of theme but I have a question. Are we allowed to use levels we're already working on for other purposes as our entries? I could imagine your stance going either way so I wanted to make sure first.

The reason I ask is because I believe that Project Luna: Episode III would be perfect for the theme and would love to enter it, but I'm not sure if that's allowed because I've already started work on it and would be using it for other purposes (as in, releasing it as the actual Episode, heh).

And, for anyone who's interested in Project Luna, it would mean the episode would be released much quicker .

Evil has a new name. Demo out now!
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2006 11:14
Quote: "If the winners have to sit out the following contest, then whats the point in taking part? I do this for fun and to try to win a prize, I dont want to have to sit out. If your bad at level design, tough, thats your problem."

Let's address the first issue.If the same person wins every month then nobody will enter the contest.Now you have no contest.
Second of all this contest was created so people could show off their level design and give the communtiy an opportunity to show their talents.Getting a prize should not be your top priority.
I personally think that if you win you should sit out the next contest since you are the one that gets to pick the next theme for the contest.Nobody is going to pick a theme that they suck at.

Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2006 11:19
I agree, Fred, especially with the "Nobody is going to pick a theme that they suck at." comment, as it is very true. Maybe, though, since it seems to have caused a bit of a problem I would suggest maybe only the actual first place winner being excluded (since if they choose to be a judge they won't be in the competition anyway).

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2006 11:47
Quote: "I would suggest maybe only the actual first place winner being excluded (since if they choose to be a judge they won't be in the competition anyway)."

That is what I meant.

Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2006 12:08 Edited at: 29th Aug 2006 12:08
Ah, I see, Fred. Well yeah, I personally think it would be a fine idea.

Sorry to go totally off-topic (I don't want to stray the subject of an important thread like this!) but did you recieve the e-mail I sent you, Fred?

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2006 12:48
Got it.

SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2006 13:03
Well its not the end of the world if I get told to sit out a contest if I win the last one. I think if I do end up winning I might be a judge.
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2006 14:10
The way I want to work the whole "winner sits the next one out" issue is as follows:

If you take first place twice in a row, you will be exempt from submitting an entry in the next competition; of course you are welcome to be a judge anytime you win 1st place (which will require a sitting judge to step down, in order to maintain 3 judges at all times).

As far as entering a level that you have already been working on; I would normally say that it's OK. However somepeople may get a bit upset at the headstart you would get. But, since I plan on giving everyone the entire month of September to do their level in; I feel that would have been enough time for you to complete a level of "Project Luna". So I say go ahead and use it; however, it will still have to follow the criteria I have yet to lay out.

Today's the 29th; I would like to have the rules posted by the 31st. Once I post the rules, the competition is officially "on".

-Keith

Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2006 14:23
Thanks for the clarification, Keith.

Can't wait to get the criteria so I can really get things going .

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2006 17:08
Happy birthday,Keith.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2006 17:21
Not till Saturday; but thanks for the early wish, Fred.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2006 22:10
Just to let everyone know, this thread will be unstickied on September 1st (the one in the showcase will remain stickied though) to make room for the Official Rules of the September Contest.

-Keith

DamonV
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2006 08:39
Hello all,

I realized before the competition begins I should ask an important question about my capabilities of entering the contest. Are people with the trial version of FPSC allowed to enter the competition? Or am I going to need to buy the full version before hand?

Thanks for any help.

- Damon
Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2006 08:42
Damon, while I'm not a judge I'm fairly sure I can answer this one for you.

From my recollection (unless circumstances have changed) at least one judge is not in possession of FPSC and so can't run .FPM files. Because of this, the maps need to be an .exe and since you can't export maps to .exe in the Trial Version, you need the full version to enter.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2006 15:50
Jiffy is correct. I'll put that in the rules as well; good point, Damon.

-Keith

DamonV
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2006 19:00
Alright,

I shall order the full version today then.

Thank you Jiffy and KeithC.

- Damon
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2006 08:23
I'm unsticking this; the sticky in the showcase is still active though. It will be replaced with next month's entries eventually. Thanks for checking out the contestants work!

-Keith

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-08 11:33:10
Your offset time is: 2024-10-08 11:33:10