Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / [LOCKED] Can You turn off the buttons "Q" and "E"? Theese actionbuttons can help You cheat thru the game!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: MAFIA 2
Posted: 24th Aug 2006 14:57
Can You turn off the buttons "Q" and "E"? And how about other buttons?

For exampel:
"Mr Lee" dosnt want His Character to be able to jump in His game.. Is it possible to turn off the space button like "Mr Lee" wants to do?

I want to see a FPSC Professional! And lets make it REALLY expensive this time......
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2006 15:09
Edit the source you could.

(Talking like Yoda i am)

FPSC-Toolkit in the make.Progress log:
FPSC-Segments 35%---FPSC-Entity 's 0%---FPSC-Signs 0%
FPSC-Decals 0%---FPSC Characters 0%
SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2006 15:12
Just use another key, which no one is going to use, like the delete key.
Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2006 15:13 Edited at: 24th Aug 2006 15:14
It's a fairly simple prospect as far as I know although I may be wrong.

As you probably know you can edit the button positions in the Build Game Dialogue. From what I would assume, you could just clear the entry for the respective button altogether and voila, no Q and E (or whichever button you want to remove).

Of course, if that fails then Higgin's idea would work fine--just be sure to make it a totally out of the way button like "Pause Break". I don't think I've ever used that button in my life and I've never really taken any notice to it!

Evil has a new name. Demo out now!
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2006 21:50
I don't know why you would want to turn a movement function off.
Q and E merely function as strafe or sidestepping functions and I don't use them when I play an FPSC game myself and I still can't figure out why you wouldn't want the player to jump...
But you are designing your game and I am sure you have a good reason.
Heck,if anything we need a few more buttons to assign stuff to like I for inventory or M for map...stuff like that.
But this is just my opinion and doesn't really mean anything.

Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2006 21:55
I will try that Jiffy... Strange I didnt come up with that Myself? (Too many late nights with Lindsay Lohan maybe...) JK!!!

I want to see a FPSC Professional! And lets make it REALLY expensive this time......
Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2006 22:13
I agree Fred, but You shourld be able to turn them off if You dont want them! The BIG problem with strafe today is that the enemys never will discover You when strafing! That means that You can win the game if You use strafe all the time! I was strafing thru The Nerds game "Dark Corridors", and even if the game is quite big I wasnt hit by a single bullet! The strafe buttons needs to be fixed, so You cant cheat thru a full game! (The enemys never attack You when You are strafing!!!)

"I still can't figure out why you wouldn't want the player to jump..."

Not Me eather! I was talking about Mr Lee and He dosnt exist... (Or does He?)

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2006 22:24
Quote: "(Too many late nights with Lindsay Lohan maybe...) "

I'm not even going to try to figure that out.
If you strafe and the nemy can't hit you adusting the main AI of said enemy or giving the enemy a different weapon like a shotgun for close range or maybe a grenade launcher or something might help.
The enemy should detect you when you come within a certain range whether you strafe or not.Adjusting the script you are using for the enemy might help with that.
I agree that if you don't want to use a button when developing a game or if you would like to add an extra one if you want should be possible.

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2006 21:45
try this Fred. (OR anyone else whos interested.)

Make an L shaped corridor and place an enemy with main scipt "Static" and shoot script "shoot", facing down the coridoor towards the corner of the L.

Place the player start at the other end of the L, facing towards the corner. Give the player the colt.

Test game and walk to the corner. before you round the corner walk up to the wall and peek around so you can target the enemy.

You can shoot him until he's dead and 90% of the time he wont react.

Alot of the time the

"shotdamage=" command will not kick in, and if it does it is frequently cancelled out because the

"playerdist" command negates it. Even if it still activates (and starts the shoot script) usually it is looped back to the static script because the player cannot be seen.

This is an issue I tried to sort out using the sensei AI, but that just totally died on me.

you could just add a line like

shotdamage=1,plralive=1:

and make the enemy run forward (movefore=5,animate=5)

but I'm not using that, and I'm not sure if it will work.

Gemstone Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Unless the game is strategy-based, i.e. you're trying NOT to let the enemy see you, and you point it out in your instructions, most people are NOT going to even realize there's strafe.

Formerly JMC...
Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2006 23:18
Its possible to cheat! And thats enought to do something about it...

Gemstone Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Okay, dude, here's an idea. First of all, how do you know the update TGC's working on doesn't have a fix for it? Second, a lot of games include a strife element now. In the words of Robin Williams, it's not cheating, it's evening the playing field; you've seen the team, they should have their own telethon!

Formerly JMC...
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2006 17:46
I still can't figure out how it is cheating...

Silent Thunder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2006 22:02
i think it's because they don't shoot back when you peek around corners.

3.2 Ghz PD Processor, 2 GB of (667 Mhz) RAM, 10,000 RPM HD,
ASUS GeForce 7950 GX2 (1 GB of onboard video memory)
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2006 22:16
Try increasing the cone of vision or using a different AI script.

Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2006 05:46
Gemstone Games:
"Okay, dude, here's an idea."

First of all, My name isnt dude!!!

"First of all, how do you know the update TGC's working on doesn't have a fix for it?"

Yea! How do I know that??? I havnt even been talking about the update DUDE!!!
I am talking about the game engine as it is today!! Not what happends months from now...

FredP:
"I still can't figure out how it is cheating..."

Maybe You also shourld learn to read between the lines? Ofcourse, if You want Your games to work like this, it is not cheating ofcourse! But I am free to write My own roules in MY OWN games. That also means that I can call it cheating in My own games because I think it is! I have tryed many AI scripts without sucess, When You strafe You can kill Your enemys without any problems at all.. Im sure it is very funny for fps noobs to play a game when strafe, but it is a fact that the enemys dont respond the fire even if You hit the enemy every time.. We are not making games for two Year old kids here!!! (Not yet anyway...)

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2006 08:15
Somebody woke up on the wrong side of the computer...
Here is what I know.What it may be my opinion I am sure if you ask around you will find most people agree with me.
When you are playing a game you want as many choices as possible.
When you take away those choices you make the gamer unhappy.
As far as disbling the buttons,I beleive once you build your game there is a file called Setup in the folder.
Just erase the numbers for the Q and E keys.That might do it.
No guarentees but you might try it.
Did you try Intellimater,AI 2.2 or David's AI scripts yet?
And did you increase the cone of vision on the enemy?
There is also a variable called playerwithindistance.You might try increasing that.
These are all just suggestions.
BTW some of the enemy AI is so...well,not good...so that I have been able to walk up and blow enemies away at point blank range.
So it might not be the strafing.It might be the AI you are using.

Gemstone Games
Years of Service
User Offline
@Mr. Love:
Boy am I glad you're not Dr. Love, or we'd be in trouble.

To clarify, I try to keep a light attitude on the boards, hence my calling you 'dude'. I only use proper names when someone has kicked me into serious mode. And you, sir, have done just that.

Now, what I was TRYING to say was that the update, which one of TGC's people would not have announced unless they were close to finishing it, could allow you to disable buttons if you so chose. So far, the only thing they've clued us in on is a Save/Load Game feature, but I'm positive that's not the only enhancement.

Furthermore, insulting the moderators of these forums for trying to help you out is harsh and very unnecessary, especially in the manner you're choosing. I'm very impressed that Fred hasn't locked the topic yet given how you're acting. Like he said, there's a number of things you can do to adjust the game to your liking. But yelling at someone (a moderator no less) for posting on a topic YOU created answering a question YOU asked is hardly the way to get things done.

Your signature says you're waiting for FPSC Professional. Well sir, it may be a joke, but you need to learn some proper grammar and start acting like a professional before you start making those kinds of statements. Honestly, that last set of comments you posted gave me a migrane to sift through and try to understand, and I'm not even an English major!

Formerly JMC...
Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2006 16:54
Gemstone Games
"I'm very impressed that Fred hasn't locked the topic yet given how you're acting."

Maybe because Fred knows I wourldnt care! I have been here sence the EA days, and You Dude sence 5th Jul 2006(!) And already You are trying to learn the MODs there JOB(!)

"that last set of comments you posted gave me a migrane"

Poor poor You! I guess thats the only thing You have sufferd from in Your life...
I have met Dudes like You before. And they have always the same personality! Manipulating troublemakers that just spread Your hate, that is what You DUDEs live for...
From now on I want You to stay out of My way, and dont write in My threads ever more!
And dont worry, I wont write in Your threads as well...

The crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2006 17:12
Dude, the only reason I stop by these boards from time to time is to read the funny posts and problems people have with the mods. "Mr Love", you're a joke. Get over yourself. ...on second thought, don't I love to read your immature posts

To everyone else, keep on keepin' on.

Quote: "What it may be my opinion I am sure if you ask around you will find most people agree with me."

@FredP: I agree with you

Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2006 17:20 Edited at: 28th Aug 2006 17:48
"@FredP: I agree with you"

Go and lick [mod edit) somewhere else!

brummel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2006 17:47
[ModEdit]

My site is now updated with info and a teaser about my game The Peacemakers. My blog is now ready and i have written my first contribution!

Check it out now!
TheDude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2006 17:49 Edited at: 28th Aug 2006 17:49
Who is it that summoned my name? lol

Straight outta compton
brummel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2006 17:53
Quote: "[mod edit)"

I knew it.

My site is now updated with info and a teaser about my game The Peacemakers. My blog is now ready and i have written my first contribution!

Check it out now!
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2006 18:01
Quote: "Maybe because Fred knows I wourldnt care!"

Mr. Love,
I bet you start caring right about now.
You were doing so well.Then you had to go and act like an [mod edit].
Why?You know when you act like that and then you swear you are going to get banned.
You are a repeat offender so no slap for you.
The reason I had not locked this thread is that up until now I had no reason to.
If you don't want people to respond in your threads try these helpful suggestions:
1. Don't bother posting.
2. Don't ask how to do something.An answer requires a response.
You need to be nicer to people.Nobody insulted you or attacked you and your last copule of post were uncalled for.
I am locking this.It is really too bad.For a while it was an informative thread and we had an interesting dialog going.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-08 07:39:40
Your offset time is: 2024-10-08 07:39:40