Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / FPSC-Game modification

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2006 17:09
Well, weeks ago a friend asked me if I could modify the source code of the FPSC-Game.exe to her needs. Now, time is always an issue and wading through somebody else's code isn't really an amusement. However, she asked nicely and so I took some time and did it and while I was at it, I added some more stuff.

It certainly has bugs and therefore I need 3 to 4 testers.
NOTE: This is really a side project, and it'll take a while till I get around to fix bugs.

Anyway, this is new:
- 12 new conditions
- 22 new actions
- 4 global variables
- entity timers
- Load/Save level
(not to be confused with Load/Save game, but you can start from a stored level after you quit the game, for example)

here's the read me

There are three requirements for testers:
1) you need to be good at FPSC scripting
2) you need a program that can extract .7z files
3) you need to leave you email address here.

And once again: This is only a SIDE PROJECT. I'll answer your questions, but I will not respond to feature requests in this thread at this point in time.

Play Nice! Play Basic! -- Styx PlugIn- Coming Soon!
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2006 17:17
Quote: "1) you need to be good at FPSC scripting"

i cant script very well...

This sounds OK dude,i think this will be usefull!

FPSC-Toolkit in the make.Progress log:
FPSC-Segments 35%---FPSC-Entity 's 0%---FPSC-Signs 0%
FPSC-Decals 0%---FPSC Characters 0%
keithml
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2006 17:19
I'd like to test your project. In fact, if you don't mind I'd like to join you in adding to it. I have been playing around with modifying it too. The compiled version seems to have some quirks though ...

Email me at keithATonecatwebDOTcom

Keith
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2006 17:20
Quote: "I'd like to test your project. In fact, if you don't mind I'd like to join you in adding to it. I have been playing around with modifying it too. The compiled version seems to have some quirks though ...

Email me at keithATonecatwebDOTcom"

can you do this?

Quote: "1) you need to be good at FPSC scripting"

keithml
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2006 17:48
Now Accel Leon, How insulting!

While its true I am just getting into FPSC, I have been a software developer for a long time and have written a number of interpreters and compilers. The FPSC script part is the part I picked up first.

As for adding to your DBPro code base "empty", I am serious about that. I'm pretty good with DBPro and have also developed a shareware plugin for it that provides datastore access among other things. You can check it out at:

http://www.onecatweb.com/whiskerstore/whiskerstore_sales2.htm

I'd love to collaborate on the source code part of this. I actually did add my own level loader in the place where it processes the winzone and increments the level. It was nice of TGC to keep that to one line of code, but the compiled source just doesn't seem to be the same as the distributed game. Just minor problems, like some transparent textures that shouldn't be, but not the same. I'm curious if you are experiencing the same problems, and if not, what is different about your DBPro setup.

Keith
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2006 18:10
he means you need knowledge of FPI scripts.

you need to know how to make scripts for FPSC without DBP...

brummel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2006 18:21
@empty

This is great news! I am personally looking mostly forward to the new scripting commands but save and load is always welcome too. I wish you good luck with your project. How much of this modification is done? Answer me in %.

My site is now updated with info and a teaser about my game The Peacemakers. My blog is now ready and i have written my first contribution!

Check it out now!
empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2006 20:10
@keithml
Quote: "I'd love to collaborate on the source code part of this."

Thanks a lot for your offer, but except for two or three things that are left and except for killing the bugs, I've pretty much completed this project. For now, at least.

Quote: "I'm curious if you are experiencing the same problems, and if not, what is different about your DBPro setup."

Yes, transparency is a problem. I had some issues with the bulletholes, as the default image (grey background) isn't really transparent.

@brummel
Quote: "How much of this modification is done? Answer me in %."

Everything I mentioned above is done... including bugs.

SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2006 15:19
Are you going to add save and load menu buttons so people with no scripting knowledge can just pick where to place the buttons?
empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2006 17:18 Edited at: 25th Aug 2006 17:20
Well, I'll do some example scripts that people could use for their title page, level setups and game menus.

In case someone missed it: this mod is in public beta:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=87488&b=25

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 25th Aug 2006 20:16 Edited at: 25th Aug 2006 20:27
Just for my clarification:

Do we need to initially create the file (FileName) to be used to store the level information before using STORELEVEL or any other condition/action that uses the file or does STORELEVEL create the file if it does not exist?

If we need to create the initial file, I assume that the file should be in the same directory as the game.exe and is it restricted to type, as in .txt, .dat, etc...?

Thanks for your work on this. I intend to wear-it-out this weekend and I'll get you feedback.

empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2006 21:07
No.
STORELEVEL=X
where X is the file name. If the file exists it'll overwrite it else create it. If the file name doesn't contain a path it's written in the files directory.

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2006 21:23
Ok. Thanks.

What about the file extension.

Is it STORELEVEL=storemylevel.txt or just STORELEVEL=storemylevel

Does it give it's own extension on creation or do we need to supply it and if so are there any restrictions?

empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2006 21:54
You can name give it whatever file extension you like, or none at all. It doesn't matter.

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2006 22:01
Thanks again.

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2006 20:10
This is really excellent work.

I'm using it with some new scritps I wrote, and the enemys are now actually having propper gun battles. It's a much less lonely experience in FOTF!

Thank you so much.

A few new commands along the lines of entitytargetalive= and rotatetotarget etc could be useful, but I realise this will take some instigation.

Also, is there anyway to encorporate a throw grenade command, that could make a non-grenade holding entity launch grenade flak? could be very useful with my new ai.

thanks again for this wicked update!

peace
butters

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-08 07:40:10
Your offset time is: 2024-10-08 07:40:10