Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / Entity can´t see Player?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I am fiddling with implementing Dark AI in a project, and having some success.. however, a very important part is for some reason not working, namely getting an entity to "see" the player.

Whatever I do, the "AI Get Entity Can See (119, ai get player x(), ai get player z(), 1)" command always returns 0 - even when the player is directly on top of the entity in question (the AI entity is number 119).

I´ve tried setting the view distance, and tried leaving it on default.

The player ai entity is set correctly, as is the friendly object. I can get the entity to follow the player no problem, which makes it even more confusing.

If you need more details, please let me know and I´ll provide them. But I´m starting to think I´m missing something fundamental to the "see" command.

Any advice much appreciated,

Thanks for reading.
HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2006 14:21
Any chance of making a small demo of what you are doing say a cube and a cone, having said that(funny shouldn't that be write) I though I saw an AI demo on doing this.

Dark Physics makes any hot drink go cold.
Lani
Years of Service
User Offline
Well I am going back to the basics (no pun intended) and it seems there are some anomalies with the "can see" command, not that it isn´t working (at least I won´t conclude that yet), but it´s not behaving entirely as I expected - still, that could be because I simply don´t know what to do with it at this time. Will keep you updated .
Lani
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2006 14:13 Edited at: 28th Aug 2006 14:14
Ok, this is the essence of the problem:

the following (very simple) code, should return a 1 or 2 for the "cansee#" variables, the "enemy" (the evil evil cube) obviously reacts to the player entity (the nice sphere).. but the checks to see whether the enemy can see the player return 0 all the time, which I don´t understand.

Any help much appreciated, I know you can do it

edit: the controls etc are very simple simply to test, the end product features something a little more complicated
HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2006 18:03 Edited at: 28th Aug 2006 18:08
well if I make height ground both 1 you get zero if to far away and two when sttting on it.

edit
reading your post again I see that not what your after ,your looking for away that says it saw you or you saw it.
??

HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2006 18:26
just remebered this one

AI Set Console Output On 1

shows whats going on, make main prog a windowed prog.

Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2006 23:07
This is a bug in the CAN SEE command, fixed for next update.
Lani
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2006 23:10 Edited at: 28th Aug 2006 23:21
Quote: "This is a bug in the CAN SEE command, fixed for next update."

Good news, no wonder I couldn´t get my head around it then. Any idea on when that update will be? I can live without it for now, but any info on when I can fix this (to pass on to the boss) would be good.

HowDo: Thanks for your replies No I am simply in need of a check to see whether the enemy can see my player entity, and if so execute some commmands.

As a side note, the AI system in Dark AI seems to be geared for shooting, and not for implementing melee combat, since there´s apparently no way to make enemies go close to the player - they move away if I approach them. I assume I would have to disable the automatic behaviour in that case?
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2006 15:56
Quote: "Any idea on when that update will be?"

Soon, I can't say exactly when.

Quote: "the AI system in Dark AI seems to be geared for shooting, and not for implementing melee combat, since there´s apparently no way to make enemies go close to the player - they move away if I approach them"

Check out the AI SET ENTITY ATTACK DISTANCE and AI SET ENTITY AVOID DISTANCE commands to change the distance that entities approach/run away.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 11:22:53
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 11:22:53