Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / GDK Function request.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2006 10:59
I would like to see a few functions added to the GDK:

1. dbMemblockFromObject()
2. dbObjectFromMemblock()
3. dbMemblockFrom3DSound()
4. db3DSoundFromMemblock()

These functions would enable objects (and their children) to be converted into memory blocks which could then be encrypted and saved to disk. The file(s) could then be loaded , decrypted in a memory block and converted back into objects. What do you think?
Miguel Melo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2006 16:17 Edited at: 26th Aug 2006 16:18
I'm sure that's not trivial for objects: they are probably made up of several pointers that point to bits around memory. Since their case would not be a simple linear memory dump, but a chunks saver/loader my guess is the DBO format already is as good as it gets.

I have vague plans for World Domination
Charles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2006 11:53
The DBO format is fast but TGC needs to start thinking in terms of security. Imagin putting a lot of work into your 3D objects. Now imagine someone ripping your 3d objects and making little changes to them and making a game of their own. I suck as a graphics artist but I STILL want to make sure that I don't end up speeding up someone elses developement time at my expense.
Miguel Melo
Years of Service
User Offline
I now understand what you meant Charles. You're right: We should be able to use a custom decompressor/decripter to load a 3d object (say a .dbo) to memory and then load the dbo into an object from there.

Barnski
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2006 21:10
The DBO Loading code is available, isnt it?
It shouldnt then be too difficult to extend it such that it can load objects from a memory location, instead of a file.

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2006 11:02 Edited at: 29th Aug 2006 11:03
I would like to be able to load everything from a resource... That would be a good start

Come to the last Unofficial DBPro Convention (http://convention.logicstudios.net/)
Supplying "NO" since 1974...
Charles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2006 12:13
It's nice but no substitute for data encryption.
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2006 12:22
Quite true - although would be useful with encryption.

Come to the last Unofficial DBPro Convention (http://convention.logicstudios.net/)
Supplying "NO" since 1974...
Miguel Melo
Years of Service
User Offline
@Barnski: AFAIK what's available are the structures of a DBO, so I guess you could study that and create a loader (although you would be re-inventing the wheel).

I am not sure, however, if you can "submit" an object fully created "outside" for the GDK to use internally. As far as I know, you can only introspect the stucture/buffers of something that has already been loaded and _maybe_ (not sure) lock the buffers and munge it.

Barnski
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2006 20:55
You re right Miguel.

Then the easiest way is that the TGC developers extend the DBO Loading code such that it can load from a memory location alternatively.

Charles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2006 04:11
In other words, it's what I've been saying earlier: have TGC create some functions to turn objects (children and all) into memblocks and the reverse. That way you can save the memblock to desk, encrypt it, load it, unencrypt it and convert it back to an object.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-17 08:00:55
Your offset time is: 2024-06-17 08:00:55