Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Lack of Instructions

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I just loaded the FPS Creator and notice right off the bat the lousy user manual. It is almost totally useless.

I can't find how you can delete rooms, items or characters. Or to more or delete doors around.

Without simple editing tools as the above, this development tool is just bad. If you want to make changes to an existing game, I had to start from scratch.

IF anyone knows how to do the above or can point me in the right direction to some online information on how to use the FPS Creator, it would be very kind of you.

PS, Is it possible to change the sounds? When I jump, it sounds like he is throwing up.
HandK
Years of Service
User Offline
Manual Online.

You look? Or only look at little printed manual?

H&K
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2006 00:37
Quote: "I can't find how you can delete rooms, items or characters. Or to more or delete doors around."

To delete a room right right click on the room.
For an item or character left click on it to pick it up and then right click on it to remove it.
Open up the FPS Creator folder and then open the Docs folder.
The manual is in there and it has all of this information and more.

BULLSHOCK 2
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2006 01:37
if you go to your FPS creator user directory (default is C:/program files/thegamecreators/fps creator/) you will see a folder called "DOCS" in that folder is a PDF manual, that will explain everything.

http://www.seqoiagames.com/seqoiacorp/
lionel101
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the replies and where I can find the information.

Maybe they should put this kind of information in the small manual so we know where the full manual is located for us to review.

Looks like this forum is a good one for getting feedback to problems.

Thanks again.
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2006 13:27
Quote: "Maybe they should put this kind of information in the small manual so we know where the full manual is located for us to review."

I guess we assumed most people could figure out:

Start - Programs - The Game Creators - FPS Creator - FPS Creator Manual.

Especially as it's right under the link to launch the program.

"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender, Futurama
No pixels were harmed in the making of this post
"Don't ping my cheese with your bandwidth"
BULLSHOCK 2
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2006 22:02
Quote: "Especially as it's right under the link to launch the program."

I dont know about everyone else, but i hardly ever use the start button, i have every thing i need in shortcuts

http://www.seqoiagames.com/seqoiacorp/
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 29th Aug 2006 22:07
Quote: "I guess we assumed most people could figure out:"

Never underestimate the young, impatient mind.

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2006 22:47
Quote: "Never underestimate the young, impatient mind."

So true.

But really before you come onto a product forum ranting about how useless the manual is, would you not think - even for a second - to just check and see what is actually installed?

I mean moaning about the little getting started guide I can understand if you think that is all there is - but it is totally obvious he didn't even read that, because what does the final sentance of the Introduction (page 1!) say? Or the very final sentance at the back of the booklet? They both say there is a full PDF manual on the CD.

Hell, what is the 3rd option on the menu when you install FPS Creator?! Oh wait.. 'Read FPS Creator User Manual'.

Still, I agree with what you said, even with all the pointers that do exist it's obvious if people want to ignore them, they are going to anyway.

"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender, Futurama
No pixels were harmed in the making of this post
"Don't ping my cheese with your bandwidth"
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2006 23:15 Edited at: 29th Aug 2006 23:24
The first thing I always do after installing any new softaware is go directly to the installation folder and look for a folder called "Docs" or look to find where any help file or manual is located.

I useually then briefly look through any such documentation to at least see what categories or headings it covers information for. That way the first time I encounter any probs I have an idea that the manual will help.

I do this even though I am fairly good with understanding most programs and rarely need to read the manuals just to get started.

But all people are not the same - not that excuses not even looking to see if a program has supplied help or documentationm files. Some people just dont even make any effort and dont see anything wrong in that I guess. They are not likely to get very far in this field without some serious change of approach to the level of effort and involvement needed.

With most programs I must I admit, I am used to seeing a help button in menu inside the program and that is certainly to be recommended.

Its both easier and suitable for a wider range of humans many of whom we know from experience dont look around much of their computers file structure looking to see what it contains.

As a click and play product many would I presume install FPSC fire it up and expect to just click and play and be able to do everything they need to do including getting help from within the program environment.

Its just the way most kinds of programs most people are used to working with are - they have a help file link in the menu - not that will be of any use if a user dont look in the menus either.

Gamemaking and game making software is not quite like anything else they may have encountered.

Personally I dont use the start programs menu for programs I use regularly anyway I use a desktop Icon and dont usually use the link to the manual in the Windows start menu, but would have looked if I could not find the manual. I always have a window open to my file browser too and when working in any program and always go to a programs folder structure when working with them.

Thas just the way I work but everyones different.

"I am and forever will be your friend"
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2006 03:37
I think you will find every once in a while we have a new forum member that thinks they can just push a few buttons and...abracadabra...they have a game.
I have found the manual to be a highly useful and informative resource and I still stand by the statement I have made several times...It is not possible to reach peak potential in FPSC without reading the manual and using it as a reference.
FPSC is like anything else in life.You are only going to get out of it what you put into it.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-08 07:48:53
Your offset time is: 2024-10-08 07:48:53