Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Jungle Texture and Layer fog queries

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2006 18:48
Hi!
i am a new to FPS creator and i was wondering if anyone knew where to find a good jungle wall texture? I read about the open space thread and really liked the Punisher game jungle level concept.

also . . . I tried to create a cliff effect with the segments from model pack 1, but you have to build tons of layers both upwards and downwards for it to look even slightly tall and this is slowing my framerate right down. Does anybody know how to create a layer fog so it gives the effect of a bottomless pit? Suggestions would be greatly appretiated

1 last thing . . . (sorry!) I am probably going to have a big problem doing cutscenes. Is there a way to make text appear onscreen such as objectives or character speech? once again suggestions would be greatly appreciated . . .

P.S: sorry but i didnt really know where to post this as it had multiple questions

"In ancient times, cats were worshiped as gods. They have not forgotten this"
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2006 21:52
Jungle type environments would be best created with a mix of sements and etities for use in walls, cliffs, rocks, trees, grasses and so on.

These could be used around the perimeter and throughout a level. Large or smaller areas of terrain could be added. Decals could be used to good effect to provide foliage.

How much you could get into FPSC and maintain decent fpos is the issue.

I have been in a mood to test this out in recent times - however I again suggest waiting for the forthcoming update and see what it brings. It may for instance help with some issues such as making it easier to achieve better wortking terrain. It may not.

Layer fog - well FPSC at the moment dont support volumetric type fog but you could use a combination of local or glaobal fog and decals with transaprency applied to good effect if done with some cleverness. Again there are issues with both fog and decals so its not easy. You cetrainly may encounter some difficulty in achieving good quality effects. The official sprite pack may have sonme useful content - dont know as I dont have it - I make nmy own currently.

The cut scenes you would do with the story zone - but its currently effectively broken.

That seems to be a lot of things listed you will have some difficulty with I know - but thats FPSC for you. A lot of things are not quite working as well as they should or could do.

"I am and forever will be your friend"
Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2006 22:44
Quote: "The cut scenes you would do with the story zone - but its currently effectively broken."

I havn't tried this yet with my own media but I was wondering what was broken about it?

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2006 12:10
If you use a story zone in any level besides the first it will screw your game up.

Namnung
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2006 18:45
Thanks for the advice, i will try to use the decals to make the jungle walls. I might just try to make a level with cliffs that only has small outside areas but add in area fog for those instead of inside aswell. Its a shame the story area is broken but i guess thats life . . .

also do you know where i can get the official sprite pack (or is it the same thing as model pack 1? just checking . . .)

"In ancient times, cats were worshiped as gods. They have not forgotten this"

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-08 11:41:18
Your offset time is: 2024-10-08 11:41:18