Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Why is it so laggy?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2006 03:37 Edited at: 31st Aug 2006 03:39
I don't know why this scene was so laggy, i know it wasn't my computer's specs (look at signature) I was using custom walls and had tons of stuff behind them, could there be a problem in which the game is rendering the stuff behind the walls even though you can't see it? Any ideas on how to fix this problem?

check out the screenie, 2 FPS!!!
also, polygons in scene 50,000???
It went to 40fps when i turned the other way where there is nothing at all, thats why i thought it may be a problem with the walls.

3.2 Ghz PD Processor, 2 GB of (667 Mhz) RAM, 10,000 RPM HD,
ASUS GeForce 7950 GX2 (1 GB of onboard video memory)

Attachments

Login to view attachments
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2006 05:11
Indeed rendering of objects that cant be seen may well be going on.

At 2 frames per second it looks like you got the SLI (Serious Lagg Issue) in the area you are standing.

It matters not what your computer spec is - it will never be powerful enough to make much difference in these instances.

Its an engine thing.

There are loads of threads here concerning gameplay speeds and optimisation issues. You will need to read up on the best methods to use in mainatining acceptable fps.

Search the forums and you will find what you need - threads are everywhere.

"I am and forever will be your friend"
Jiffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2006 05:52
Is the 2FPS constant? Because pressing TAB to get full statistics slows down gameplay considerably. When not pressing TAB you'll see a small thing at the bottom that says "F:x" (x is the framerate). Chances are this will be faster than 2FPS but also make sure you haven't pressed a particular key (somewhere near "Y" or "U") which caps the FPS at 5.

2FPS is seriously slow so chances are that you've got some major design problems as far as dynamic objects go.

Evil has a new name. Demo out now!
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2006 06:40
Bullshock has a FPSC level viewer on his site:

http://www.seqoiagames.com/seqoiacorp/index.html

Even if you try to seal an area in you can get some serious leaks.
Maybe using this will help you find out what the problem is.
Unfortunately,I am afraid that Uman is right.There are some issues with the engine (I am not even going to start on the editor) and it doesn't matter how powerful your computer is.
Doors,windows and even segments can have polygon leaks and if that happens then that can be the cause of the slowdown.

Silent Thunder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2006 07:51
yay, i fixed it! Apparently my custom segments has problems and i replaced them with some of the default ones just at the places where you could "see through" to other parts of the level and it worked somehow.

Quote: "2FPS is seriously slow so chances are that you've got some major design problems as far as dynamic objects go."

actually, i had 21 dynamic entities including characters and doors.

3.2 Ghz PD Processor, 2 GB of (667 Mhz) RAM, 10,000 RPM HD,
ASUS GeForce 7950 GX2 (1 GB of onboard video memory)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-08 11:31:01
Your offset time is: 2024-10-08 11:31:01