Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm trying to get working with DP but running into all sorts of issues with collisions and meshes. Static to Dynamic meshs with the pmap-less error for one. The error message is not exactly helpful and there is no real explanation of why some meshes work and others don't. It'd be great if this was fixed so it worked no matter the perf hit or at least more explanation of what's going on.

Another is scaling objects. I've attached an object to this post. When I load it (ignore that the textures aren't there) and then apply a scaling (say 300 in each direction) or a rotation even, the mesh does not match up with the object being displayed.

Another is the snippet below. I tried using a terrain mesh on a box (just trying to simplify the code to smallest code sample). The ball doesn't move. But if I watch it in the debugger, the ball jumps and gets stuck in the collision mesh. Thoughts?

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2006 10:37
Dynamic meshes will not collide with static meshes but you can have them colliding with simpler shapes such as static boxes. While dynamic meshes can be useful for certain situations I would not recommend using them in the main. If you need more detail for a shape then perhaps use a convex mesh.

There was an issue with mesh scaling in the first release. Have you installed the update? This may resolve the problem.

In your code snippet it looks like the sphere is stuck inside the box. All kinds of strange things can happen from this. Adjusting the position of the sphere so it is outside the box will sort this.
jenkmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Mike.

The sphere inside in the box isn't inside the box when the collision mesh is a box. Why it the terrain mesh so different on a cubed object?

I'm pretty sure I installed the update but I'll do it again just to make sure.

As to different mesh collisions. There is a game called golfcross. It is played on a golf course with a golf ball that is actually shaped like a rugby ball http://www.golfcross.com. I'm trying to do simulations of this game with DB and DP. I need the ball to be an acurate mesh and would like a golf hole that isn't just a flat plane. Got any suggestions on how I'd setup the meshes for that. I went straight to a static mesh for the hole and a dynamic mesh for the ball but as you said that doesn't work.

Thanks!
jenkmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
Following up...

* Move the ball up higher. It now falls and then gets stuck in the mesh. No idea how to explain that.

* Yep had the 1.01 update.

* Anyone with thoughts on how to do the golfcross ball and hole, I'm all ears

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 04:23:56
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 04:23:56