Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / mix of 2D and 3D (isometric)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2003 17:37 Edited at: 12th Apr 2003 18:23
could someone plz tell me how to place the camera so that it would be a good isometric view and also how to follow the character so it stays in the middle of the screen(im using DBPro oh yeah its in my sig oh well)
oh and also could you tell em how to create a map for isometric im not sure if it would be a 2D square or a flat 3D plane. thx in advance. and plz dont tell me to look at the tutorials becasue i have and i dont understand them enough yet. i can copy and play with the numbers but that about it. plz help me even a code snippet or two might help. thx AGAIN in advance

Just got DBPro. After a lots of small things to learn, i plan on creating an Isometric RPG
I consider myself: ABSOLUTE NEWB!!!!!!!!!!
UberTuba
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2003 19:02
you cant do 3d isometric in darkbasic. The closest you can come to it is placing the camera miles away from the area ure veiwing
and use the command
SET CAMERA FOV
and set the angle to as low as possible.
the real reason people use isometric is that its quicker that true 3d
but isometric in db is just an alteration to true 3d, with no speed diffrence.
Id go for 3d myself as 2d in DB is
also youre walkin b4 tou can run.

This is my list of things 2 do before making an rpg
Hello World
Make a space invaders clone
Make a simple platformer
Make a simple fps
Do some modelling and artwork
Realise that making an rpg would take faaaaarrrr to long,
And do something else

Life is a terminal disease.
You never survive it.
Jonny_S
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2003 19:49
HAHAH very nice advice Darfluff, I agree though jumping in at the deep end baad idea, i did it :-s not clever

CURRENT PROJECT - FIGHT OF THE CENTURY VIST
http://www.freewebz.com/supermonkeysmansion
Armeggadon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2003 20:36
lol yah i know an rpg will take a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo etc... ng time. thats why i am startgin small. my goal is to make an isometric rpg EVENTUALLY but i need to learn first and i realize that. BUT i still want to make one. im just learning first with very basic things. but scratch that for now. so how do i make a top-down perspective. could you give me a snippet for the camera. possibly. thx if you do. if you dont then &^$@&%$@*^$@. nah j/k. if you dont then i dont care. ill probably learn eventually.

Just got DBPro. After a lots of small things to learn, i plan on creating an Isometric RPG
zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2003 20:57 Edited at: 12th Apr 2003 20:59
Armegeddon, Look at my post in this forum "Isometric tile engine"
It contains a code snippet and simple map that you can compile and get a good idea on how to handle Isometric display. You will just need to create 4 simple isometric bitmaps. The beginning of the code explains how to create isometric tiles. You can create them in paint in under 5 minutes. Just make one and fill it with different colors.

If you are interested in just a top down tile engine I can post that as well. But believe me, It's not that much more difficult to handle a diamond isometric map, and it looks a thousand times better.

CloseToPerfect
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2003 01:19
just center your character in the screen and then place the camera relative to his position.

Armeggadon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2003 02:53
ok. thx for your help and zenassem ill look into your post.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 11:05:58
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 11:05:58