Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2006 00:21
So we cant use Dark Physics alone to run the collision in a First Person Shooter eh? From what I've been reading it sounds like the raycasting doesn't work properly(yet)? Am I wrong or is it truely not possible to use ray casting to detect collision from a gun?
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2006 05:22
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=88061&b=30

Raycasting to a physics body for bullet detection is not ideal, because it is not precise. Imagine the difference between casting to a character controller capsule vs. casting to the actual model.

Come see the WIP!
Medieval Coder
Years of Service
User Offline
You can use the mesh but its slower.

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2006 09:38
Sparky's collision DLL is so fast that mesh raycasting isn't even noticeable.

Come see the WIP!
Bluedemon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2006 17:37
So the product I paid for doesn't work but a free .dll does? That kinda bums me out.
CTF Freak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2006 17:38
It does work and it works great! its just raycasting isn't its strong point. take a look at some of the examples and try to do that with sparkys dll. It won't happen in ten years if at all.
Dark physics is definately worth the money.
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2006 18:34 Edited at: 9th Sep 2006 18:35
Dark Physics does work, but it works in a different way. You're raycasting to a physics body, which is a simpler shape than the actual model (for dynamic objects).

For example, a character model might be represented by a capsule object. Raycasting to a capsule object is pretty lame. Using Sparky's is a great way to increase the accuracy for things like shooting.

Sparky's is perfect for the job. I raycast to the model, then apply the force to the physics body in the spot of the collision. Pixel perfect and wonderful.

Come see the WIP!
Lani
Years of Service
User Offline
I´ve found that a combination between Dark Physics and Sparky´s can work wonders - Raycasting with Sparky´s is pretty damn nice (as Cash Curtis says), while Dark Physics handles (not surprisingly) Physics really well. So far I´ve not had need for other tools.. though to be honest, I do kind of fear implementing Dark AI into the project I must say. Still, there´s nothing for it, in fact I should probably just get cracking I guess .
Bluedemon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2006 13:25
Well even though it would be easier to have it all in one package, I do agree that the combination works well.
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2006 14:04
There's a bug in Dark AI right now that will prevent you from updating the AI position every loop. It resets the action of the entity each time you do. I only update the AI position if the distance is >= the height of the model.

But even still, it works pretty well. The AI and model aren't always aligned, but it's certainly good enough.

Come see the WIP!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 22:39:57
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 22:39:57