Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / What is wrong with FPSC

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Okay, I bought FPSC to see what all the hype was about. I have been using DBP primarily, but FPSC looked interesting to try on the side and see if I could do some quick things with it. There is a big problem with it:

IT IS THE SLOWEST PIECE OF SOFTWARE I HAVE EVER USED!

I am running an AMD Athlon 64 3200+ with 1gb RAM and a 256mb ati graphics accellerator or something, and it can take up to 30 minutes to test a small level. It always takes long on the lightmapping, and when I do compile a game, it takes a million years still to load your game to play it. What is wrong with this thing?
bdgbdg
Years of Service
User Offline
Change the setting to soft lightmaps (or no lightmaps), no shaders and low res texture while you test the game.

Only use them when your building the game. Btw, READ the manual...

Project FPS - started development.
Advancement Games
Years of Service
User Offline
I did read the manual. I will do that then, until the final build of the game, but, when I do build and play the game, it goes god aweful slow even on a very good computer and takes ages to load. Is there any way around that?
bdgbdg
Years of Service
User Offline
Don't use big open areas, don't have too many dynamic entities. (Not more than 7). Also try to make the textures with less-resolution. It should do the job.

I also like to use Automatic doors (I find them "speed increasers").

Project FPS - started development.
Advancement Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the advice.
Silent Thunder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2006 03:40
Quote: "I also like to use Automatic doors (I find them "speed increasers")."

i thought it was automatic floors.

that's weird it works just fine with speed issues for me.

3.2 Ghz PD Processor, 2 GB of (667 Mhz) RAM, 10,000 RPM HD,
ASUS GeForce 7950 GX2 (1 GB of onboard video memory)
seth zer0
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2006 07:09
okay i have every thing you got in my rig beside the grafixs card i have a nvidia geforce 7600gs 256 and the my games run fast but on the loading thing use softlights it load real fast and it looks the same almost not much dif. and every thing else dose not mater just full shader 512 textures and all that will still let you run at a good 30 to 35 fps witch is nice not the best but nice and the entiy thing use as much as you want just 3 to 4 per room or else thay ack dumb like running in place or worse nothing automatick door are good it keep up the fram rate but dont turn on automatic floors it slowes dont the fram rate but the doors really dont matter but try useing automatic doors its better
seth zer0
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2006 07:10
(and the my games ) sorry. and my games
Silent Thunder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2006 07:23
uh, next time use the edit bar.

and the shaders only apply to the scifi stuff, i read that somewhere and it seems to be true at least for me.

3.2 Ghz PD Processor, 2 GB of (667 Mhz) RAM, 10,000 RPM HD,
ASUS GeForce 7950 GX2 (1 GB of onboard video memory)
Advancement Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks, I'll try some things out then.
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2006 22:41
AND,FPSC is still,in development...as Update 1.02 is released,i dont think TGC is ready yet

and indeed its a little slow.but it builds a level fairly big and detailed in like,6 minutes on an Nvidea GforceFX 5200...(with 1GB or RAM)

so i dont call it slow...

Advancement Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Not with my computer, it takes over an hour at times to build those types of levels, so I do have to disagree.
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2006 22:52
Strange...

altough my computer does hate shaders...it works fairly quick.

so for myself i can only call Update v1.01 slow.the others are fast enough.

Gemstone Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Okay, there must be something wrong with your system. I've been able to test complex levels [as in more than 7 dynamics (characters AND items combined) and going two to three levels high] in about the same amount of time Accel Leon did, and my comp's got half your specs with a 3100+ AMD Sempron.

Well at least I was until the updates. I haven't even tried V1.02 yet and probably won't until the update that has the Save Game feature. But prior to the upgrade I didn't have a problem with the software's speed on this computer.

Formerly JMC...
Walking Dead Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2006 05:59
I hope a new patch comes out soon.

When there's
no more room in HELL
the dead will walk the EARTH
Advancement Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, I am really not sure what is happening with my system. I think you are most likely right. They run slow as hell as it is at times with other programs now.
TheDude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2006 22:49 Edited at: 9th Sep 2006 22:54
I dont know what you guys are talking about here, which is rather mysterious if you ask me, software surely does work a wonder. Before I downloaded the updates, I read the forums about the problems and everything and became a bit hesitant. But when I used the upgrades, everything was fine and fast! Except for some minor issues I figured out on my own. Better than V1 anyways, with all settings at a medium level.

Perhaps in this case on this particular thread, maybe it's conflicting with something with DBPro, maybe a piece of code you've written or some kind of exe, although I'm not a programmer, so this is only a hypothesis.

Another way to make the games faster is editing the textures provided, ie. lowering the resolution, if you have photoshop, use the cutout filter, etc.

Also the amount of lights placed in a level affect the performance of the engine as well. Place the lights carefully.

The best tip I can give you is changing most of the entities to 'static' entities, NOT all of them. Still use physics to a great advantage. In my opinion, I don't think it is necessary to have EVERY single entity dynamic. For example, you can have a bunch of stacked barrels that are static, and a couple of dynamic barrels on the ground that you can move around.

Straight outta compton
Advancement Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the advice. I find, as I have been looking through the FPSC source code, that the code is quite sloppy. I think I might just use FPSC as a level builder, and program my own game engine for it.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-08 12:44:23
Your offset time is: 2024-10-08 12:44:23