Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Thank You DGDK Forums

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I recently purchased a copy of the Freeware Dark Game SDK. I must say that I have bought quite a few products from TGC and have been very pleased with all of them. I am sure DGDK will be no exception.

I have used Dev-C++ in the past, and I really like the IDE. I decided to follow Lee's MS VC++ 2005 Express Guide posted on the forum. After 5 hours of checking and re-checking my configuration I gave up for the day. I returned this morning to see if I could solve the issues I was having and found all the answers I needed on the TGC forums. In less then 10 minutes I had corrected the errors and all is working beautifully.

I have only had TGC products for about a year, and a Forum member since March of 2006. I seldom post, as I am not much of a posting type of person, though I do like to read.....alot. These forums are one of the main reasons why I have bought products from TGC and will continue to in the future. I just wanted to say thank you too all who have posted here, weather it be to ask or answer a question. And in the case of DGDK Forum, a big thanks to Philbert McTwitch, who's name seems to appear in every thread.

Chucky
Miguel Melo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "And in the case of DGDK Forum, a big thanks to Philbert McTwitch, who's name seems to appear in every thread.
"

Well, nothing is perfect, is it?

I have vague plans for World Domination
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2006 22:20 Edited at: 8th Sep 2006 22:21
What a cheek!

Glad to see that some has found - and lets not beat around the bush here - my superior knowledge useful.

Come to the last Unofficial DBPro Convention - register interest by Saturday 2/9/06 (http://convention.logicstudios.net/)
Demoing at the last Chichester Convention : Humans On A Planet
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2006 22:33
Pfft, he just likes the publicity

j.k

Chucky
Years of Service
User Offline
I see these forums also have a sense of humor, unlike a few of the Forum areas around here.

But I really am greatful. Sometimes it can be very difficult getting an answer, and getting one that is correct is even more so.

Really the only reason I purchased DGDK was to be able to play around with the DBO files I have created in FPSC. Which load up perfectly in my test's so far and I couldn't be happier.

The speed increase is very impressive. I can't wait to see what its capable of.

BTW, I have been using irrlicht for its use of OpenGL, does anyone know of another freeware library for C++?
Miguel Melo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "BTW, I have been using irrlicht for its use of OpenGL, does anyone know of another freeware library for C++?"

Ogre3D is always the default suggestion. It's a pretty powerful and stable engine, but I feel it is a bit too over engineered: It feels a bit like "coding patterns masterclass". You also have to lunge around lots of dll's which is something I don't particularly care for.

I really like dbp/dgdk's api: it may feel old fashioned but you can "get it" in byte-sized chunks. If only it had the level of support/rate of updates Ogre3D has it would be perfect.

I have vague plans for World Domination
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2006 23:39
Its certainly the easiest graphics API system to use - and I feel all the free ones are over-complicated too. With non-simple docs. too.

Come to the last Unofficial DBPro Convention - register interest by Saturday 2/9/06 (http://convention.logicstudios.net/)
Chucky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2006 00:01 Edited at: 9th Sep 2006 00:01
Do you know if TGC is planning on adding OpenGL to the DGDK? Don't get me wrong I, DirectX is great.....though I like the look and speed of OpenGL.

Maybe you fellas can answer a question I have about DirectX and OpenGL. From what I have read and understand about graphics API's (DirectX and OpenGL) are the following true/false?

Since OpenGL allows the application to talk directly to the graphics card, would it be safe to say that an application built using it would have more processing power for the other areas of the application?

Does DirectX have the opposite effect in that the processor will have to interpret what the application wants, then send it to the graphics card?
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2006 00:04
No OpenGL for DarkGDK.

I dont think there is much speed different between OpenGL and DirectX - the only advantage between the two is that OpenGL can be used on more than one OS...

APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2006 00:14
Chucky, look out for LibCON as well if you can find it.

It used to be here - http://www.photoneffect.com/

But it seems to be down, so I'm unsure of the state of play.

Paul.

Chucky
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for clearing it up PM, and thanks Apex I will make a search for it.
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2006 00:24
Chucky, this is quite possibly one of the most unique links I have - http://fraktali.849pm.com/graphengines.html

Chucky
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Chucky, this is quite possibly one of the most unique links I have "

Holy cow. Now thats a list. I quickly browsed about 30 links or so. Sadly most are dead.....too bad really....some looked very interesting.

Alice is still around though and is on version 2. I was really surprised to see that. I will look more at them when I have some time.
BTW, where did you find that link?
JohnD99
Years of Service
User Offline
This is an up to date list of 3d/Gaming engines, complete with ratings:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=57438&b=22

Without a doubt Dark SDK is extremely easy to use.

I just wish that all the features in the documentation were implemented!
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2006 17:11
Chucky, I found it quite a while ago, and yes, alot of them have probably sizzled into dust, but an interesting place since although some may still about that can be learned from as well, i.e. source examination.

Paul.

AlbertoT
Years of Service
User Offline
the only advantage between the two is that OpenGL can be used on more than one OS...

Opengl is also more user friendly than direct x

Alberto
flibX0r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2006 04:17
I quite like this engine list because it has reviews and a search feature

My avatar now brought to you by the Facepunch Studios Gold Member fads

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-17 05:00:47
Your offset time is: 2024-06-17 05:00:47