Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / How do u make levels pitch black?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2006 04:55
Im making a scary game but its not scary enough because it still has sum light in it. how do i make it PITCH Black?

*You friendly neighborhood fpsc man*
jconxtc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2006 06:01
we know your making a scary game. oh beleave me, we know. anyways, the < and > keys set amb. light in test mode, edit the levelsetup.fpi to set it when compiled. BTW, no lights dosent mean scary, it means dark.

Carrara 5 pro and Hexagon, the 3dsmax killers.
Candle_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2006 06:37
You could use search or cover your eyes.

Steam Assassin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2006 06:40
Squint your eyes a bit.

I used to have one of those signs, but then realized how annoying it was...
HandK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2006 09:31 Edited at: 10th Sep 2006 09:31
Radar

Hi Shaka,

The thing is very very black doesnt make a game scary, it just makes it annoying to play. I garantee that if you do make it "Black", people will ether stop playing or turn the contast up.

Now, stop for a moment and think, what FPS games were scary? Now fair enough often the scaryones are the ones with "Low" light, like some rooms in Doom 3, but the first thing everyone who played Doom 3 did, was download the gaffer tape patch so they could have a tourch all the time.

What makes a scary game in terms of lighting is .... Shadows. Now this means that the game cannot be picth black, because there has to be light for there to be shadows. Now some people will say that its the gameplay that makes it scary, and they are right as well. But scary gameplay with shadows is alot better than scary game play when you cannot see anything

H&K
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2006 20:19
When you build your game set ambience to 0 and set red,green and blue to 0.
Make usre you have some kind of static or dynamic lighting.
Your level should be pitch black except for where the lighting you placed is.

Just to let you know just because a game is dark doesn't make it scary...it just means you are probably going to bump into a wall or something else that you can't see.

Warggoath Sinista
Years of Service
User Offline
Now look, game with no lights really aint scary. Look at System Shock 2, I think it is scarier than Doom 3, really. Scary game does not need
jumping enemies to scare you for a 5 secs, nor it does not have pitch black rooms, nor top graphics. As for me, scary games need disturbing scenery, disturbing music, disturbing enemies. Go play system shock 2 or silent hill games to see how they did it...

If by noise you mean uncomfortable sound, then pop music is noise to me.
Canadian Bacon
Years of Service
User Offline
Gosh guys you don't have to criticize like your a movie critic. all he asked was if one of you guys could help him get a dark room. i don't see anywhere if he asked if it would be scary

!!!Canad!!!
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2006 00:46
Canadian Bacon,
Please don't smiley spam.
For what it's worth this question has benn asked several times and Shaka refuses to search or read posts or stickies or his manual.
Under the circumstances I'd say they are being nice to him.
I did remove any posts that I felt were out of line and/or offensive.

Canadian Bacon
Years of Service
User Offline
forgive me for my actions

!!!Canad!!!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-08 13:29:38
Your offset time is: 2024-10-08 13:29:38