Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / the license agreement for physx

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
"If an enduser wants to commercialize a game, they must complete a standard license contract with AGEIA"

so if i wanta sell my game i have to make a contract and pay more money to be able to sell the work ive made? or is it a contract without involving money or what?

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=72668&b=21

PLEASE ANSWER MY THREAD!
RalphY
Years of Service
User Offline
Randivark
Years of Service
User Offline
thnx for that, i guess i wont bet the physx, sry for not using the search feature

PLEASE ANSWER MY THREAD!
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2006 19:30
Quote: " i guess i wont get the physx"

Why? The license costs you nothing

Randivark
Years of Service
User Offline
it doesnt? has it changed.. it seems like to use db pysx you have to go through a h#ll of lot of contract stuff with ageia? or was that just my impression with all the talk about either 50,000$ or doing some mistyrious "supprt ageia" thingy? have i misunderstood completly?

PLEASE ANSWER MY THREAD!
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2006 23:56
Randivark - it really isn't very complicated and this has been proven by Freddix who has signed a license agreement with Ageia. Basically if you intend to sell a game that uses Dark Physics then you need to contact Ageia and talk things through. As long as you support the Ageia PhysX processor then there is no fee to pay.
Randivark
Years of Service
User Offline
support it? like use it in an engine or just say " i support it"

and its done?

PLEASE ANSWER MY THREAD!
ESP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2006 18:48
Hi Randivark,

I think Mike means that one has to have a part of your app/game that will not work without the card. Our app. is heavily cloth based, and we are going to force the use of the card.

Robin

P.S. my local store is to stock the Asus card.
Randivark
Years of Service
User Offline
well to do that noone would buy my game... noone (almost) buyes a graphic card for one (home-one-person-made) game....

and 50000 is rather on the expensive side.

no other way?

PLEASE ANSWER MY THREAD!
Lani
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2006 16:52 Edited at: 14th Sep 2006 16:52
You have to make some features that are only available when using the PhysX card, but you can of course turn off those features for people that do not have the card - it just has to run better/be prettier with the accelerator than without - at least as far as I understand. And I wouldn´t worry about it until you have a game that´s good enough to sell, since Aegia is not likely to sign an agreement with you until such a time.
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2006 16:54
Supporting hardware doesn't mean that your game must only run on the hardware. What is important is that you take steps to ensure your game runs better with the hardware and this can be achieved in all manner of ways such as increased complexity when the PPU is present and so on.

Before you get put off by the issue of the license I think it would be wise to look at the situation and think whether you are realistically going to make a commercial game. The reality is most people won't fall into this category so it may never become an issue. For those who progress to making a commercial game then it has been demonstrated that acquiring a license isn't particularly time consuming on their part.

I think worrying about the license right now is a little premature. If you are unsure about all of this then maybe for now take a look at the demo and see what you think. You can find the trial version here http://darkphysics.thegamecreators.com/downloads.php After looking at the trial version of Dark Physics if you decide it is something you like then get the full version and experiment with things and see if you want to take it further.
ESP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2006 17:41
Hi Randivark,

I do remember buying my first '3d' card for Black & White. What a crap game, but the card sure was fun.

Robin
Randivark
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2006 23:06 Edited at: 14th Sep 2006 23:06
black and white 2 is great though, ive heard.

ill figure out the physx thing later, i havent even bought dbp yet!
i just kinda fell over when i saw the 50g for something from tgc. they usually sell stuff for less than 100$.

this topic can be closed now

PLEASE ANSWER MY THREAD!
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2006 00:17
Quote: "ill figure out the physx thing later"

No point in closing the topic when you don't yet understand the license.

It's simple. Make your game run with the hardware and the license is free. Your game can run without the hardware as well, they just need to see a difference.

That's it. You never have to pay a dime. They don't even expect anyone to pay that price, it's only designed to help them sell their physics cards.

Come see the WIP!
Slayer93
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2006 01:51
I think how dark physics made it without paying (correct me if I am wrong)

Dark Physics can support the hardware(water, tons of things can be fying around, ect) which is why they got it commercial without paying. But it doesnt have to be using the PhysX card because many people without the card can still use Dark Physics.

And what Cash Curtis said

Quote: "They don't even expect anyone to pay that price, it's only designed to help them sell their physics cards."

Naruto is the ninja...not really

ESP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2006 01:57
Hi All,

And reading their site, it seems that we may soon be able to model fluids without the card.

Robin
Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2006 03:41
this code doesn't qualify for the free license

where-as this code does

it's as simple as that.

Intel Pentium-D 2.8GHz, 512MB DDR2 433, Ati Radeon X1600 Pro 256MB PCI-E, Windows Vista RC1 / XP Professional SP2
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2006 08:14
I doubt that,

Isn't it more a case of your game must look better with the ppu running, ie more debris, more objects etc, like GRAW did, as i fail to see how simply enabling the ppu would qualify for a free lisence as anyone could do that in 10secs.

Hallowed are the ori.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2006 10:02
Raven, it's not quite as simple as that. That would result in a game that looked identical in hardware and software mode (unless the software version was unplayable )

As has been said in numerous threads, you need to pass the "Grandmother" test. That is, your Grandmother should be able to see the difference when played with hardware.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 21:24:59
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 21:24:59