Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / What is the maximum number of entities you can have in a level?

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2006 14:57
I searched the forums but couldn't find an answer.

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2006 15:30
FredP,

There is as far as I am aware no imposed TGC limit. There may be a limit if there is its not confirmed again as far as I am aware by TGC. I do believe they have said there is not one in the past. I may be wrong.

Of course they may be a limit a users system could effectively cope with while running a game as to its affects on gameplay. FPSC itself seems to bother little about the number of entities included in a level in terms of their influence on game speed. That obviously has some effect but it seems to be minimal as compared to say the source code or even a fault in any entities script that the engine does not like which can cause serious problems with slowdowns and affect all other entities and gameplay speeds. FPSC as with most engines does not like bad code.

I have 690 entities in one level - Not sure what happens if I got to 1024 which might be the next critical figure (in some engines sometimes power of two) - not got there yet.

The AI (entity) script limit is currently 200 and I cant actually have more than 198 or the games fail to run.

Segment nunbers affecting the map object limit as far as I am aware are not confirmed - you will know when you reach it as again your game wont run. I have exceeded it and have had to stop adding new segments to a level - however I have never actually looked to see or counted how many different segment types the level uses so I cant say what the number is in my case exactly.

"I am and forever will be your friend"
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2006 15:40
I had well over 100 entities in my level (although I am not sure of the exact number) and probably closer to 200.
I am making the level all over again but this time I am going to try adding something and then test it and then save it.
Doing that to test each and every little thing eats up a boatload of time but at least this way i am almost sure to get what I want without having and unnecessary entities in my level.
I am hoping that one day TGC implements a removal tool for entities,segments,etc. that you do not want in your level.
Until then,this seems like the best course of action.
And thanks for the quick reply.
I knew if anyone knew the answer it would probably be you.

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2006 16:01
FredP,

I thought everyone tested levels very frequently - not doing so can be dangerous to your health. I know it takes a lot of time - I have probably spent six months of my life waiting for test level compiles - but I always check everything I do in detail in test run before exiting back to level before saving - that way you avoid saving a bad or corrupted level which is what can damage your health.

Why on earth would you have unecessary entities anyway? You arnt having problems with game speed with 200 entities are you? Or are you concerned about final game compile size?

I keep thinking I should redo my levels - just cos I want to make them better - but thats unrealistic - I will always want to make them better - one has to draw the line somewhere.

I will just update and improve mine in the longer term on the fly as it were as improvements to the engine become available and I work on the detail and finishing in more depth.

Good luck anyway with your new level work.

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2006 16:26
I'm not sure if TGC did put a limit on the entities or it may have been the pc handling the entities, but I do recall crashes when going really overboard with entities. But it were far more then 690, I think it was over a 1000 or so. It was just some of the crazy tests I did run to find the limitations of FPSC.

http://www.gamefun4u.nl/index.html
GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2006 16:36
It could be my pc too.
It's a piece of junk.

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2006 16:39
Well if thats so it should not crash and by that I mean the user should be informed that they have reached a limit. Not that - that happens with the script or map object linmits either.

As with many other errors inside FPSC the users is returned little helpful information regarding any error.

Perhaps when FPSC gets to be a super/duper engine TGC could do something about that.

Lets just get the limits removed first please TGC.

Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2006 02:16
I think it all depends on how you use them. I mean if you use say 200 dynamic entities you will probobly have problems due to all of the work the engine has to do to keep up with them. I could be wrong. though through many conversations about this issue it seems to be a per user issue. some situations created by the user result in negative actions from the engine, while the same issues may be fine on another persons computer. I guess it's just how fickle the engine is and how it responds to your computer.

RF
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2006 03:56 Edited at: 20th Sep 2006 03:56
The number of dynamic entities in a level and the influence can be relative to the nature of them.

Numbers can be missleading.

Is the question is how many different individual kinds of dynamic entities or the total number of dynamic entities? There may be a big difference and I am not sure any user understands how the differences are actually seem by the engine and how the engine relates to them in any calculkations it has to do with regard to them. It clones entities so I would presume that from the point of view of pure calculations in real time of dynamic iinfluences 200 copies of the same entity would have far less affect than 200 different kinds of entities with just one instance of each being used.

Dynamic entities too need not necessarily require high levels of math to be performed by the engine in real time. For instance a light model entity may be dynamic but actually not do anything requiring dynamic calculations so does not need high levels of scripting code attached to them. Reducing unecessary scripting attached to dynamic entities is a good way to reduce the engines burden and is well documented as a means of optimisation.

Such entities can be spawned and removed on the fly also helping remove unecessary entity polys from any particlular scenario which may help keep all round fps up.

Remember that FPSC can render some content far from the immediate scene so check your level in wireframe and if there are any either static or dynamic entities unecessisarily rendering outside of any immediate scene view then you can take steps to remove them - every single extra fps you can gain for yourself means you can add even more entities.

This has all been answered before and is well documented somewhere or other.

The answer is you can have a lot of entities but probably not enough to add enough to make an FPSC game anything like as complex or as realistic looking as is in real life human type environments which if you live in any kind of modern metropolis is likely to be awash with complex objects.

Even simulating open outdoor type environments unless you are creating a game taking place in the middle of a Sand desert - the Natural world tends to be full of extremely complex biologies visually.

Some engines I use can place a forest of 1000 trees on a landscape but I would not suggest one would get away with that in FPSC unless they were all of one tree type - even then I doubt you would fit them in inside the FPSC world size. And what about the grasses?

Anyone care to try it?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-08 13:35:01
Your offset time is: 2024-10-08 13:35:01