Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / BSPs - PAKs & Textures: Getting Them To Work Altogether

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2002 01:13
ok, i really want to get this stuff right in using BSPs.
i can create MAP files using WorldCraft & the environment looks just fine while in WorldCraft as far as each OBJECT or ENTITY having the desired TEXTURE, etc.

QUESTION: how do you export the BMP file (or texture file)?

i then EXPORT this file into a MAP file & crunch it to a BSP file. now, when i goto DBP & try to call this up, if all sorts of unpridictable results dont happen, my BSP IS NOT textured in my DBP app.

i have also tried 'other' MAP apps to no avail. i can use the example that 'pathfinder' showed me in another thread but just cant seem to get ALL of my files to work together.

please....does anybody have any GOOD tutotrials or step-by-step examples on this? 'pathfinder' has shown me that there IS at least some hope

will gameSpace be mine (and other's) answer???

and i thought C++ was being 'hard'
United We (Still) Stand
The Darthster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2002 02:44
You can create .bsp maps from worldcraft as well, you know. I don't know exactly how it works, but just search for the map name in windows 'find files or folders' and you should find a .bsp file. Anyway, to use worldcraft maps you need a .wad file, I use the default half-life one found at C:\Sierra\Half-Life\valve\halflife.wad. Put that in the same directory as the bsp map and the textures should load correctly. I don't know how well this works, I only tried it once and it worked.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2002 04:46
depending on what you've used as a base depends on what your need and where...

in general if you have a half-life map - then get something called Wally (from fileplanet) and extract the textures you use as jpg and then placed in the same folder as the map ... or you can just place the .wad file they came from there, however as Half-Life.wad is 35Mb and not ditributable without HL which redistribution of it is illegal - blah blah... more hassel than worth.

if its one of the quakes, then place the textures in a directory called textures - try to keep thier structure within there as well.

i've still have alot of tests to run on dbpro's BSP setup to be able to customise gameSpace and the BSP exporters specifically for use with engines.
However right now the Quake BSP Compiler supports Quake 1 format and compiles the bsp world and exports everything it requires then packages it into a single pak file.

This prevents any file or structure corruption. As i add project controls for multiple levels objects and such - it'll be possible to develop the entire graphics portion of the game within gameSpace and simply build the project.

Holy jumping mother of god NOOOO!!!...
CD On CD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2002 09:38
darthster & raven:

thanx!!
i think i might just be able to 'hang on' for awhile yet.
your gameSpace sounds GREAT! and would probably save so many DBP users many headaches! so far from what i've seen,,,creating a simple BSP (at least for me) has become a heachache. you have to use 1 app for building say the MAP file, 1 app to convert the MAP to .X or .BSP, 1 app to create the PAK/WAD file, etc, etc! just to create the BSP one has to use too many DIFFERENT apps.

i'll tell you what,,,,i had to close down DBP & was thinking about just giving up on the whole program for awhile!! you 2 have given me some NEW hope!

in the meantime maybe i'll just put off with the BSPs for now & try 'other' things. (oh boy)

United We (Still) Stand

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-18 06:15:18
Your offset time is: 2024-10-18 06:15:18