Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Change the Icon

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
What's the best way to change the exes icon? I used Resource Hacker but the exe did not work after the icon was changed.

Thanks!
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 23rd Sep 2006 00:42
Yeah, that's a problem. People will tell you all different kinds of ways to do it, but I haven't seen one yet that works.

Sorry.

The forum provides a means to hide our true identity. Too bad we always screw up and let it be seen.

mr midi
Years of Service
User Offline
You can download a free icon maker program here http://www.icon-maker.com/

Then just right click on the icon for the .exe and change it in the properties window.
Thats how I do it anyway.
Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2006 09:54
I figured people would have learned this through common windows experiance.

RF
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2006 16:23
Most people don't realize that changing the icon causes the program to stop running. It's not a Windows thing, it's the way the FPSC .exe Icon is put into the program by DBP. Changing the icon will cause the program to NOT work anymore and I have not seen anyone do it successfully yet.

If someone has done it, please post the game and explain so we all can do it, but for people to keep saying that it can be done without doing it just frustrates others who want to do it.

The forum provides a means to hide our true identity. Too bad we always screw up and let it be seen.

Evil Star
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2006 17:59
It's been done with the FOTF demo, ask Butters

the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2006 18:50
Icon changer by Ngin.

Or my tool pro fix. It fixes the exe after using a resource editor such as reshack to edit the icon and other resources such as the version info.

By way of demonstration, he emitted a batlike squeak that was indeed bothersome.
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2006 19:05
@the_winch

Sound good. Have you actually done this and had the program to work after? Can you post a simple .exe with a changed icon and icon info?

CLiPs
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2006 19:18 Edited at: 23rd Sep 2006 19:20
I just tested out the Icon Changer by Ngin and it worked perfectly without a hitch... I went ahead and built the sample game that came with FPSC that simple arena one and changed the icon and then ran the game and it went flawless... Super Huge Koodoo's to you for such a fine product....

----------Edit------------
xplosys you should ask for permission for this program to by hosted on your site many would use it I am sure....

Have you downloaded your CLiPs today.
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2006 19:23
I did the same test and was surprised. It seems like the last time I tried this (although it may have been another program, I can't be sure) it didn't work. I am also impressed and will indeed link to it if I may.

Now to see what we can do about that nasty text (no offense TGC).

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2006 19:46 Edited at: 23rd Sep 2006 21:54
Many thanks to the_winch for this info. All of it worked as advertised and I for one will be recording the process as well as using it. It's one more hurdle out of the way. We can now make our own branded games with the new save and load feature.

NOTE:

I would like to get permission to redistribute or link to the program "Icon Changer" by Ngin. I don't know him. If anyone has contact info for him I would appreciate it.

Lewis
VBOTB Developer '10
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2006 23:41
use resource hacker.

google it. it works.

Lewis From OsborneCreations.co.uk
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2006 01:22
I would just like to add, that I did not change the Icon for FOTF, I packed the demo with FPS Pack and it changed the icon by default. I could have changed that icon to anything without any problem, because it isn't the .exe its an overall .exe.

but im downloading that other app now to try it out.

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2006 18:32
Quote: "use resource hacker.

google it. it works."

Resource hacker will indeed change the icon and the information associated with it, and then the game will NOT function. But fear not. Once you have the changes made, us "pro fix" by the winch to repair the exe and it will work once more.

Snowblind 44
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2006 23:04 Edited at: 30th Sep 2006 23:05
To make an icon:

Nothing fancy. I suggest making it with the GIMP
and saving as .bmp(64x64)
and then bringing into paint, then click "save as" and name it with ".ico" at the end.

Example:myicon.ico

Then I suggest using the Icon Switcher from Ngin.

Must_Have_High_quality_Guns_With_Hands.
Wait. COREPAK 2 is here! My wait is over!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-08 15:19:52
Your offset time is: 2024-10-08 15:19:52