Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Build issues.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2006 18:14
Hey. I need some help.

I'm running V1.

obviously I've had no problem building games in the past, as I had the FOTF demo out. But all of a sudden FPSC wont build anything.

It initialises, but then I get a debug 0,0 error.

Doesn't matter what I do, what level I choose to build, or if it's arena/single player. Always get the error.

I was planning to just install FPSC twice, and copy only the levels files to the new install and try building there. I've edited so much stock stuff that a re-install would set FOTF back by weeks.
But my issue is that FPSC won't let me install twice. It'll only let me repair. I was wondering if anyone knows how I could make 2 installs?

If that's not possible, has anyone got any ideas on how to fix this?

butters.

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 25th Sep 2006 18:47
It seems that the install program checks the registry, so simply renaming the folder doesn't help. The only thing I can think of is to copy the entire folder to another location (desktop), then uninstall and reinstall. Then copy the contents of the folder (desktop) back to the new install.

Of course there is no guarantee that something won't get lost in transition or that all of the older files will overwrite all of the newer ones.

The forum provides a means to hide our true identity. Too bad we always screw up and let it be seen.

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2006 19:11
Ok. I backed up the entire "files" folder (almost an hour), then I reinstalled FPSC, overwriting all the stock files, the executable, everything.

I then tried to test a game, and got a subscript out of bounds error.

So then I figured that my old files might not be compatible, so I made a 1 segment floor and a player start,and tested it on the fresh install, and that got me the same error. I can't think what to do. If I can't get it to work, I've lost everything!

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2006 19:32
here's a screen of the error message.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 25th Sep 2006 19:34
After you uninstalled, did you delete the "The Game Creators" directory from the "My Programs" folder?

If you did an install over the top of the remaining files, some of the older files would not be overwritten.

The forum provides a means to hide our true identity. Too bad we always screw up and let it be seen.

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2006 19:37 Edited at: 25th Sep 2006 20:00
If I try to uninstall, the uninstaller crashes out.

if I try to manually delete, I get access denied.

If I repair, it doesn't make a difference, same error message as above. even with only a player start marker and nothing else.

what the hell do I do now?!

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2006 21:23
*sob*

Connor Higgins
User Banned
Posted: 25th Sep 2006 21:32
Whaaa!! FOTF will not be realeased soon

(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!
tschwarz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2006 21:39
It sounds like something is locking one of the files. To delete the folder you might try starting your computer in safe mode. or you can also try to rename your fpsc directory and then do a new install.

Good luck,

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2006 22:19
Butter fingers,
I posted in one of the other threads but just in case you missed that you might check your scriptbank.
If you have more than one script by the same name in your scriptbank it will cause an error like that.

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2006 23:01 Edited at: 25th Sep 2006 23:25
Butter fingers,

I fwel deeply for you as I have had similar problems once before.

I know its frustrating. As long as you have backups of everything I would not feat that you will lose everything and wont be able to proceed. Theres an answer somewhere.

Not sure I can point anything helpful out :

When you are going through prcedures of installation/removal make sure that you do it following a reboot and you may have to exit FPSC an reboot often whrn trying to solve probs like this.

FPSC keeps its temp files in MyDocuments Temp Directory. When attempting such things as reinstalling/removal when you have probs - after removal always empty the temp folder before rebooting - FPSC always leaves one file it wont let you delete - presumably the last in use held in memeory - (sometimes if you try to remove/re-install while this is in memory FPSC can refuse your action} - on reboot check the FPSC temp folder again and see if you can delete any files still there - If not dont worry about it.

Only then should you try a reinstallation after rebooting if you are having problems.

Before attempting all this you may also have to delete any other and all instances of FPSC and it files i.e. clean your system of any references it may make to any file dependancies anywhere on the system.

All of this is rather servere action so I would try everything else first.

I have said this before : when I had a similar problem I went through all of this and got it fixed - god knows how - just by deleting everything relating to FPSC I could find numerous times - removing/reinstalling and so on many times until I got past anything stopping the correct installation and functioning of FPSC

Later again it happened once more when I recieved the same error message as you have specified and I discovered that it had been caused by exceeding the script or map object limit so no matter what I did until you reduce to below the limit FPSC wont run.

In the bug reports Board theres a thread which I posted regarding the error message 108 - 10181 - caused by exceeding the script limit - resulting in similar difficulties of not being able remove/install FPSC correctly. It game me serious headaches too. In fact there was no need to do so I discovered and had wasted much time as the answer was simply to reduce the number of scripts.

On speaking to Lee at that time he comnfirmed there was indeed such a limit which had been unknown to users previously.

Heres the link to the thread.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=67052&b=28

Its a large thread and if you are going to read it you might as well read it all or browse to somewhere near the bottom where the results of solving the issue and findings are at least in my case.

You can see what happened to me is almost exactly as it is with yourself.

Cant say it would help you but it might.

Good luck. Dont give up you'll crack it in the end I am sure.

If all else fails I would try just removing FPSC or deleting the folder and copying back a complete "Copy" of the FPSC folder and all of its contents - a previous installation when it was working correctly - that should solve your problem as it should put you back to a fully working version.

Users do backup I hope and that should include occassional complete backups of yor FPSC folder in its entirity - when something serious goes wrong - thats when you realise the value of them.

"I am and forever will be your friend"
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2006 23:16
I might've exceeded the script limit you know. I can't see how it suddenly went crazy and started noticing, but that's gotta be it, because when I add the scriptbank backup, I get an error.

I'll try it out and get back to you.

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2006 23:22 Edited at: 25th Sep 2006 23:27
Ive added to my post so read that first before you do anything drastic.

Ah - Scriptbank backup - that could be naughty. I did the same and made a copy - renamed them all so I could edit them and make my own scripts up - but you have to watch the limit then.

Anyway just a count of the total number of scripts in all of the scripts folders inside FPSC combined is what you should be looking at - not only those in use in your game as FPSC counts them all in accessing the limit.

The limit is 200 and I have have only been able to get 198 in there so it may be slightly variable around that figure.

Hopefully FPSC does not count others if it can trace them outside of the FPSC folder structure and I would not trust it even not to do that.

As a matter of interest anyway let us know how many you have?

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2006 23:27
Quote: "Hopefully FPSC does not count others if it can trace them outside of the FPSC folder structure and I would not trust it even not to do that."

That would suck but like you said I wouldn't put it past FPSC.

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2006 23:31

You get to learn never to trust it or what it should do in theory.

Its like most things computers - it somethimes gets confused poor thing and I would rather trust my judgement and logic when things go wrong.

Clear thinking which is hard to do sometimnes overcomes most problems if you can anylise them - a matter of a process of elimination My Dear Watson.

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2006 00:36
it was the scripts!

I installed grave matter yesterday, and it never said it came with new scripts. That took me just over the limit (201)

I've got it all back and working now and I'm happy as a carebear.

Thankyou Fred, Xplosys and Uman for the suggestions that got it working, and everyone else who posted to help.
I was seriously freaking out there!

Butters

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2006 01:48 Edited at: 26th Sep 2006 01:50
Butter fingers,

I am glad it prooved to be the script limit and therefore able to be overcome albeit at the expense of removing the scripts.

Now you know the cause you may not need remove too many scripts if you need them - just keep an eye on the magic 200 figure and if you come to a stop again simply removing a single script will often allow FPSC to run properly again without problems - no need for drastic action. FPSC is quite happy as long as the limit is not exceeded.

This is a serious issue as is the map object limit - they have been and are the most important issues facing users of FPSC who are trying to make serious games where the environments are varied of a large and complex nature and its likely that to achieve a professional result over many levels they may need to utilise a large number of entities having custom script behaviours designed to provide originnal and interesting gameplay well over and above the default FPSC capability.

They are serious issues as there is absolutely no user workaround. You cant work around them only restrict or reduce your development in line with them. They can stop a large games development dead in its tracks.

These two issues alone are the reason I stopped my own development with FPSC around six months ago. I just cant add the level of content needed to meet with the game design plan and gameplay requirement.

Lee has promised to remove the script limit and will hopefully be promted by this - or a reminder request direct is in order.

The map object limit I have also previously asked Lee to remove on more than one occasion though I have no confirmation that it will be.

All users should be aware of these issues and there may be others reporting such error messages not able to find a fix and FPSC failing to run simply due to these issues that they are unaware of. So if anyone encounters siimilar errors then its worth considering FPSC limits.

The map object limit is unspecified as I am aware and I believe in my testing that its limited to numbers of individual segment objects used in a level - Thus its maybe less critical than the script limit which is a global limit and not level specific.

One note on the Map object limit - it behaves differently to the script limit and shows up differently - one shows up in editor and the other a user deos not realise exists until a game is compiled and the compiled game.exe fails to run so thats a good reason to compile and test final game.exes reasnably often before you go to far and realise if you can whats going on and have to backtrack in your game building.

Testing often can save a lot of headaches and allows a user to quickly summarise what they have done most recently and undo it if they encounter serious problems. Not to mention saving a great deal of time invested in labour.

Just something that users encountering fatal errors to be aware of.

Have fun.

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2006 02:39
Uman, did you ever consider that you can cheat the script limit, by making Fpi paths to non existant scripts and adding the missing scripts to the BUILT game's script bank after building. Effectively with this method every enemy in the game could have his own set of behavioural scripts. (so long as there were no more than 200 per level)

wait. Wait. I just realised how stupid ^ that is

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-08 15:16:45
Your offset time is: 2024-10-08 15:16:45