Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DLL Talk / .net v2.0 DLL + STYX?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2006 15:10
Before deciding on whether to purchase Styx, I'd be interested to know if anyone has successfully created an MS .net v2.0 DLL in Visual Studio 2005, loaded it into Styx, and accessed the DLL's methods and properties???

Particularly, DLL's created using C# as opposed to VB.Net.

Ta.
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2006 15:40
Quote: "Particularly, DLL's created using C# as opposed to VB.Net."

That makes no difference, the only thing different is the pre-compiled lang syntax, after compilation (CLR) its all the same.

Regarding your question, sorry I havent used Styx.

EsteemDE
Years of Service
User Offline
If you are only going to use it for .Net DLL's, do not buy it. .Net DLL's can be used with DBP without STYX. All you have to do is write about 20 extra lines of code and the functions can be called like normal. STYX just makes it so those extra 20 lines of code are not needed (and those near 20 lines are online and can be copied&pasted).

Search Google on the topic of .Net DLL's in C++. You will find a page with the required code very quickly. I use C# as my language and the code was available in C#, VB, and C++ .Net.

STYX was never required for .Net DLl's and should not have been marked to seem like it >_>
empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2006 04:32
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2006 11:09
Quote: "STYX was never required for .Net DLl's and should not have been marked to seem like it "

I disagree. For someone like me, who does not code regularly in .net languages and just wants to create simple Dlls, it's perfect.

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2006 14:42
EsteemDE, your comment about pasting 20 lines of code to get a .NET dll to run natively in DBP is seriously misleading, or highly misinformed, or I have missed something very key in my years of dealing with the topic, and writing dbp tpc's.

I would suspect that ZKAT8IT, APEXnow, Exeat, myself, and many others would be very curious to see this 20 line paste technique you speak of.

Lets see

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2006 16:39
Oh dear...this could be a mass pact to bury heads in the sand. I recall the fiery "debates" about the whats, whys and wherefores of the best way of creating DLLs. What if it was all a waste, and you could all in fact of resolved this by pasting a 20 line code snippet into your apps

empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2006 19:49
Nobody would need the bunch of available tools that convert .Net DLLs to Win32 DLLs, if it were just be a matter of 20 lines copy and paste to the source code.
What you can do (and what STYX actually uses) is to make those .NET Dlls COM interface "compatible". That means you use them similar to ActiveX DLLs.

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2006 20:38
oh, and we all know you cant use a com/ax dll in dbp natively

so the statement was indeed false.

ZKAT8IT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2006 21:52 Edited at: 27th Oct 2006 21:55
EsteemDE: What 20 lines of code are you talking about? I've found no such thing. If there had been such code I would not have written a program to export methods and properties of a .Net dll so it could be used in any other programming language, even as a plugin dll for DBP.

Although, the method of doing it directly in code MAY be possible, it would be very complex and way more than 20 lines of code. Also, you wouldn't have a string table to make it as a plugin for DBP.

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120
Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2006 17:16 Edited at: 1st Nov 2006 17:16
Quote: "Nobody would need the bunch of available tools that convert .Net DLLs to Win32 DLLs"

technically speaking, the release of the CSC.exe allows you to compile your code to native form. Though that wouldn't really convert an already compiled application/library.

Wouldn't mind knowing if there is somewhere which has an MSIL Reference. Only way I've learnt much about it was compiling source of things and then using the profiler to read the source.
Don't care much about converting for DBP use, more about the MSIL itself. I think the only place it's outlined is in the C# Specification emacs.

Intel Core 2 Duo E6400, 512MB DDR2 667MHz, ATi Radeon X1900 XT 256MB PCI-E, Windows Vista Business / XP Professional SP2

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-23 04:09:51
Your offset time is: 2024-06-23 04:09:51