Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / loosing segments names below icons after test run.....

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2006 12:49
Does anyone have clue why this is happening? I'm creating my own segments, some through using signsIII some without using it. When I do add them to my levels, the icon and name of segment in the segment library view appears (see picture 1 attached to this post)

After I do run my test game and return to the editor, the icon of the segment will still be there, but the name will be gone.

I can still select the icon, but I do want the description also and it's annoying that it's gone.

Does anyone know why this does happen and gow to avoid it? It only seems to happen with custom made media (mine and others people's also), all of the original media is fine.

http://www.gamefun4u.nl/index.html
GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2006 12:50
After running the test game, the names of the segments are gone

GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Davy B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2006 13:44
I haven't got a clue, that happens to me aswell, what segments creator did you use, e.g magic FPS.
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2006 15:00
It differs. At times signsIII and at times I do it just by and, editing fps files.

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2006 18:28
Benjamin A,

Its caused by FPSC confusion and you cant avoid it.

The exact reason for that confusion is Unknown to me and unspecified by TGC as far as I am aware.

I really dont understand why you are asking this as its an issue which everyone has or can have and one which everyone is talking about with regard to editor library improvements as well as the rest of the current topical editor and library issues.

This issue has been around scince early EA and has never been any different - I am very surprsised if its only now it is showing up with you. I have lived with it ever scince EA. It can crop up at any time and once it appears you are stuck with it forever. It cannot be overcome. I thought everyone else had the problem too?

It may well be related to the segment - max object limit when engine arrays get near to max limits and when the engine is under pressure particularly with those having complex levels then FPSC is prone to all kinds of confusion setting in both in editor and at game run time.

Lee is quite well aware of the issue scince EA version when it was discovered and reported and scince many times by myself and others.

It is as is the problem of removal of library items and many other editor issues such as the Game build dialogue issues just one of those that make the editor a complete mess and hassle to work with.

I am very surprised as I have said its only now you have discovered this problem.

The editor is a mess and it was reported as so as said well back during EA development. Doing anything about it may not be easy without a major overhaul and I guess thats why it has not been done to date.

Hopefully when TGC are able to finish their concentration on the engine - then at some later time they will take a look at Editor improvements. Lets hope so.

Sorry I cant help further I recon you are stuck with it until TGC do something to change it.

"I am and forever will be your friend"
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2006 20:11
Quote: "I am very surprised as I have said its only now you have discovered this problem."

I've had the problem before, but I'm working on a segment pack now and it became a bit annoying and left me wondering if I'm doing something wrong or if it's just another FPSC issue.

Quote: "This issue has been around scince early EA and has never been any different - I am very surprsised if its only now it is showing up with you. I have lived with it ever scince EA. It can crop up at any time and once it appears you are stuck with it forever. It cannot be overcome. I thought everyone else had the problem too?"

Could well be, but I'm not keeping track with every issue that is around. Sorry for bringing it up.

The strange thing is though and that's why I'm brought it up, that ot ONLY happens on my pc when using custom segments. If I only use FPSC segments, the problem doesn't appear at all. It comes as soon as I add a custom made segment to my level. That is strange so that made me wonder if it's was my fault.

Quote: "I really dont understand why you are asking this as its an issue which everyone has or can have and one which everyone is talking about with regard to editor library improvements as well as the rest of the current topical editor and library issues."

I'm only asking because I was wondering if I made a mistake somehow.... again I don't keep track of all the issues. So once again I apologize for bringing it up.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2006 20:16
It happens to me all the time; even when I use segments that aren't custom. It is a bit irritating; I just have to remember which one is which, when I have segments that are similar.

-Keith

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2006 21:08
Benjamin A,

Sorry I had not understood that you had seen the problem appear before. I meant no offense. I must apologise - no need for you to - quite right to keep these important issues in the forefront.

You are probably correct regarding the custom segments as I have many.

"I am and forever will be your friend"
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2006 23:48
It's OK uman

Now I at least know what's going on, so I do better work at some good icons that at least give a good representation of the segment.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-08 15:18:12
Your offset time is: 2024-10-08 15:18:12