Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DLL Talk / Dark basic Pro DLL's. Can you use the dll's legally?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2006 01:02 Edited at: 6th Oct 2006 03:01
I found a program the extracts the functions from dll files. I want to know if you can go into the dlls that the dark basic pro has in them use the functions that was extracted and write the code in C++ and use it. This process is called dll injection where it uses the address to run a command using parameters.

I have want to build a kind of Ide for Dark basic pro. Just something simple in notepad except I use C++ commands along with the functions that I extracted.

Edit: I do not know C++ but I am learning it so this is all theory and will most likly never be done for a few years...till I learn C++.

jinzai
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2006 05:16
Well, it extracts the prototypes. Any application that can make the call to Windows "LoadLibrary" or "CreateProcess", among others...can load a dll. If that process knows the function prototype, it can make a dll call.

That is how DBPro works. I would not advise trying too much of that, because...you do not know the underlying system in DBPro. There is a function that DBPro calls in a dll it loads...if it finds it..."ReceiveCoreDataPointer", or something like that. This is where you can get at DBPro internals, at least some of them.

Where I think your concept has utility is in exposing some object-oriented functionality to DBPro applications. Not by manipulating DBPro in some marionette-type fashion...that would be folly, imo.

No, you should expose the constructors to some nice classes to DBPro apps...that is what they need.

btw, this is an excellent way to learn C++...it is trial by fire!
Gamers for sale
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2006 14:22 Edited at: 6th Oct 2006 03:04
I found a program the extracts the functions from dll files. I want to know if you can go into the dlls that the dark basic pro has in them use the functions that was extracted and write the code in C++ and use it. This process is called dll injection where it uses the address to run a command using parameters.

I have want to build a kind of Ide for Dark basic pro. Just something simple in notepad except I use C++ commands along with the functions that I extracted.

Edit: I do not know C++ but I am learning it so this is all theory and will most likly never be done for a few years....till I learn C++.

Temperary Link:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&b=10&t=86737&p=1

Will be updated when I get the chance to make a new thread.
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2006 13:48
Any program that converts machine code back to C is extremely expensive and/or totally incorrect. You've probably found a program that just extracts the mangled function names.

Or do you mean a clean-room reverse engineering ?

Either way, your on dodgy legal ground.

Visit my web site to download Humans On A Planet & BallZ
Gamers for sale
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2006 19:43 Edited at: 4th Jan 2007 21:22
Thanx! Now I know what to do for my project!.

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2006 15:29
im pretty sure that sig image is too big.
please remove it or it will be deleted
thanks

Gamers for sale
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2006 02:16
I fixed this sig.

Warning Caffine Driven Post!!!!
Gamers for sale
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2007 00:49
My question has changed a bit from what I named the thread. Can I use the Dark Basic Files inorder to create a IDE? Example: Like the compiler.exe, dlls, keywords ext.

the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2007 18:32
Using the files will be fine. Distributing them is another matter. TGC own the copyright and distributing them in any other form than an exe produced by the dbpro compiler will probably be frowned upon.

By way of demonstration, he emitted a batlike squeak that was indeed bothersome.
Gamers for sale
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2007 22:16
Then how are people distributing IDE's then?????
I have seen several on this forum.

IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2007 23:19
Anyone who is using one of the alternative IDE's already has DBPro installed (either full or demo) and therefore already have all of the required help files, keyword files etc installed. Codesurge for example is just a single executable with no extra files at all.

John Y
Synergy Editor Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2007 23:22
Search the DarkBasic Professional forum for details on how to access the compiler etc.

Get the new DarkBasic Professional IDE for only $19.99/~£9.85
Http://synergyide.thegamecreators.com
Http://www.digitalzenith.net
Gamers for sale
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2007 23:38
So, you can make an IDE just only for freeware.

hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2007 01:43
You can make an IDE for DBP and charge for it or give it away for free or do whatever you like, but only the IDE. You can even demand that people only make freeware games if they're using your IDE. However, you can't make an IDE and distribute the DBP files with it. The user has to already have that installed.

In order for Codesurge to work, the user has to already have DBP installed. The IDE searches the registry for the DBP installation path so it knows where to get the help files, keyword files, etc. from. When you compile your project, the IDE sends the DBP project file to the compiler, and with a few secret tricks with the Windows API and memory mapping, you can find out what the compiler is doing and show that to the user of your IDE. If you need any details, you can search the forums or email me privately, as IDE writing is actually a very complex beast and not as easy as you might think.

Good performance is better than a good excuse.
CodeSurge -- DBP Editor for serious programmers.
Gamers for sale
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2007 00:27 Edited at: 17th Jan 2007 00:27
I need help figuring out the layout of my program.

@hyrichter - maybe you could help me with the layout because of your experience of making an ide.

Go to this link:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=96546&b=8&p=0

Go to the part that it says question on the bottom of the thread.

Gamers for sale
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2007 00:43
I am having some problems with filemapping because of data loss.

The Dark Basic Professional App gets the string of data, but it would return a fraction of what I sent in the other app. I Used another Visual Basic App to get the string of data and it returns it fine. When I try to get it in the Dark Basic Professional App it would return somewhere around half of the string.

I would send something like "I want to send this string of data" and it would return "is string of data".

I found a picture on a site explaining filemapping and I think this is the problem of the Dark Basic Pro App.

Basically the data is divided into two parts which only one part is recieved by the the Dark Basic Professional App.

I am using the open filemap 1,"filemapping name" and read filemap string "filemapping name".

Is there a way to get the other missing data or the whole stream of data of the filemapping stream using a Dark Basic Professional command?

Question for creator of the Enhancements Pack plugin:

How could I solve my problem using Dark Basic Pro commands or how could I use your plugin to fix this problem.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-16 04:37:22
Your offset time is: 2024-06-16 04:37:22