Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Good FREE animator?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2006 04:29
I have maya 7. But, I have a problem.

To my depression, FPS creator seems to only support Character Studio files... And I don't want to have to buy 3ds max 7 AND character studio. Are there any FREE programs that can animate for FPSC?

Death is only the end of the physical realm, eternity in the astral plains awaits you. But people are ugly there, and there are not very many multiplayer video games. So stick with earth for a while.
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2006 06:23 Edited at: 6th Oct 2006 06:24
Quote: "3ds max is CRAP. I recommend you get maya 3d, and an exporter.

Too bad they have no refunds =-(

Don't tell people that 3ds max is good, when it's not, or Autodesk will die in buisness and have to send messengers door-to-door.
"

I thought you already had 3ds max and decided it was crap? By the way Character Studio has been included with max for a while now.

The truth is, FPSC supports ANY type of bone animation, with any number of bones. It sounds like the problem you and everyone else is having is exporting your animations so FPSC will recognize it.

The beuaty of 3ds max is it is a long-established package with any type of importer/exporter available for it. There is a free exporter for 3ds max called the Panda directx exporter that works flawlessly.

Now, what exactly is the problem you are having with Maya? Do you have .x exporter for it? Animating for games is a bit more complicated than animating for production. You can't just go crazy and start keyframing everything and hope it comes out OK.

If you post a more detailed description of what you are trying to achieve then maybe I can help you. I use 3ds max, but there are some universal rules that can be applied to any 3D package.

----------------------------------------
"Your mom went to college."
My FPSC stuff at http://www.hyrumark.com
Darth Valtar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2006 09:30 Edited at: 6th Oct 2006 09:31
Heck I've been using Milkshape to texture and animate then from Fragmotion export to direct x and 90% of the time things work out. Now, If I can get my new custom character animations for actors to work with a bit of fpi scripting, I'd be cooken then. It is a matter of personal opinions and how much time skill trial and error your willing to put into what ever your tring to make. As soon as I can and when it's done I'll give an example of real flowing lava,water and slime to show that almost any kind of animation cna be done in FPSC. Even swinging cables like in HL2 or chains in DOOM 3 can be made you'll see.
Person99
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2006 06:06
Really? Huh.

I didn't mention it, but I did actually buy 3ds max once. And I won't get it again. It was #7. I got a trial of 8, and nothing interesting.

The problem I am having with Maya is I don't have a .x exporter, yes.

Milkshape's animation is frame by frame... I don't like that.
The only place I consider FBF is 2d games of mine.

Death is only the end of the physical realm, eternity in the astral plains awaits you. But people are ugly there, and there are not very many multiplayer video games. So stick with earth for a while.
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2006 06:26 Edited at: 7th Oct 2006 06:28
Quote: "The problem I am having with Maya is I don't have a .x exporter, yes."

Just did a quick google search, here you go, .x exporters for almost all major 3D apps:
http://www.quest3d.com/index.php?id=102

----------------------------------------
"Your mom went to college."
My FPSC stuff at http://www.hyrumark.com
Person99
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2006 09:25
Woot, thanks! Ahh, life is ok.

Belseth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2006 21:50
Got to ask if anyone has had any luck exporting from Maya and what you used. I tried the 3D Quest exporter and it didn't load. I even downloaded the Direct X SDK. The loading was extremely complicated but I never bothered because every web reference I found said the Direct X SDK exporter didn't work and wasn't worth the time. I found a couple of others but none worked. Kind of at wits end and decided to break down and get Deep Exploration because it seems to be the only solution for Maya. I even tried to talk to a Maya rep a week ago at a show and tell and couldn't get a straight answer. Seems direct exporting really isn't supported in Maya. They want people to use it for games but they aren't doing much to support gaming. The Level creator in 8.0 looks pretty cool though. Odd they'd put the effort in and still not bother with an exporter.

On a side note if you are looking for a good DDS converter download the Direct X SDK package. It came with one bundled that worked great. You'll need XP to install it but it's the best one I found. A couple of others I tried were real buggy, this one is rock solid.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-08 15:20:46
Your offset time is: 2024-10-08 15:20:46