Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Question to staff regarding FPSC media license

Author
User Deleted
Posted: 6th Oct 2006 15:47
hello,

I made a program a while back which speeded up the process of making basic segments, the program would take 2 user supplied textures and apply them to copies of .X meshes originally found within the WW2 meshbank.

the program uses these 5 FPSC meshes :

meshbank\ww2\france\rooms\bunker_storage_area\floor_a.x
meshbank\ww2\france\rooms\bunker_storage_area\wall_mid_a.x
meshbank\ww2\france\rooms\bunker_storage_area\corner_mid_a.x
meshbank\ww2\france\rooms\bunker_storage_area\wall_mid_a_e.x
meshbank\ww2\france\rooms\bunker_storage_area\corner_mid_a_e.x

The program would duplicate the above meshes and use them for the new custom segment pieces, ultimately placing the duplicates in a new folder. I understand this is fine for myself to do this for my own project. However i have decided that the community may benefit from this program and wondered if there would be any complications in releasing a program which makes duplicates of FPSC meshes for use with custom segments.

would other people be able to distribute segments made with the program including the FPSC meshes ?

I am sorry if this is confusing I just want to make sure what's right and wrong before i commit to any further work on the program.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give.
Candle_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2006 18:29 Edited at: 6th Oct 2006 18:29
I think you can't do that as your are giving away a script from the program.
if you look at signs you will see it just has a path to any scripts that it would use in the game to the fpsc scripts folder.
I could be wrong.

Wehtam_
User Deleted
Posted: 6th Oct 2006 18:58
Cheers for the reply, the program generates its own script. The only problem would be that, if users wanted to share their segments with other users, they would need to distribute the 5 meshes above.

The program itself will gather everything it needs when activated, from within the users FPSC directory. I suppose I could say that distribution of your textures is fine but the meshes are property of TGC. Actually, seeing as all what they need is the textures to make the segments.... they wouldn't need the meshes anyway.......
Candle_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2006 19:09
Right you just have to add the paths to the meshes.

tschwarz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2006 21:20
Right, Just don't supply the meshes, since users of fpsc have them already. Just point the path in the fps to the existing meshes.

Looking forward to seeing what you've done.
Wehtam_
User Deleted
Posted: 7th Oct 2006 13:55
Cheers for your help guys, i started to confuse myself then
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2006 20:46
I've asked TGC about this in reference to a segment pack I'm working. You cannot include the original mesh, but you can just point to them. That should be a problem, since normally everyone has them installed.

Just a side note..... wondering out loud do we need another program to do this? We've got Signs, Magic FPS, the segment editor and even more perhaps.

I really rather see someone create a character adding application or so. Segments and entities have been beaten to death by 3rd party apps, we've got an excellent selection. Why make another one? Why not make something new and innovative?

http://www.gamefun4u.nl/index.html
GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
Wehtam_
User Deleted
Posted: 7th Oct 2006 20:56
Quote: "I made a program a while back"

Quote: "i have decided that the community may benefit from this program"
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2006 23:07 Edited at: 7th Oct 2006 23:07
I see, my mistake, thanks for correcting me on that!

http://www.gamefun4u.nl/index.html
GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
stormboy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2006 02:32 Edited at: 8th Oct 2006 02:34
In your case I would suggest simply making your own
segments, that way you will not be as easily disturbed
by the copyright zealots.

Not that I think you should need to! Like,
it's a couple of plain ol rectangular mesh objects,
what's the big deal, me knows not!

Hey, if you want original meshes for this,
I'll do those you need for nothin'. Just ask.

BTW, all talk of the media licence is vapour anyway,
noone provides it when requested, it's a bluff, and
a waste of creative energy thinking about.

peace
Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2006 11:32 Edited at: 8th Oct 2006 11:33
Quote: "BTW, all talk of the media licence is vapour anyway,
a waste of creative energy thinking about."

I just wanted to clarify that you are claiming not to understand that TGC can sue and will win if they choose to. I also am clarifying that you don't understand that TGC will not stand by and watch you pirate their media. I further more clarify that if you do pirate their media to others and they do find out and they feel it is enough to go after you, chances are you won't be able to pay both the legal and awarded compensation.

But I am just clarifying that you don't know that, if you do then I feel sorry for you.

Wisemen are hard to find, they are tarnished by sayings and quotes that are not of their true nature.
stormboy
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I just wanted to clarify that you are claiming not to understand that TGC can sue and will win if they choose to. I also am clarifying that you don't understand that TGC will not stand by and watch you pirate their media. I further more clarify that if you do pirate their media to others and they do find out and they feel it is enough to go after you, chances are you won't be able to pay both the legal and awarded compensation."

I ain't pirated nothing, I'm a paying customer, and,
I can make my own meshes. Your clarifications are no more
than bullying tactics as a weapon, and hijacking someone elses thread, instead you could have offered something, but no,
just threats and more gas.

On the other hand I realize that creating a wall segment is no big deal, and, it ain't worth suing anyone over!
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2006 09:05
stormboy,
I have read some of your posts regarding copyrights,the license,etc.
I can assure you that if TGC thinks that you are pirating their media they will do something about it.
Quote: "I ain't pirated nothing, I'm a paying customer, and,
I can make my own meshes. Your clarifications are no more
than bullying tactics as a weapon, and hijacking someone elses thread, instead you could have offered something, but no,
just threats and more gas."

Just because you paid for FPSC does not mean you can ignore the terms of the license.
I am not accusing you of such.I am just making the same point that the above gentleman was trying to make.
Quote: "BTW, all talk of the media licence is vapour anyway,
a waste of creative energy thinking about."

No.There was an acutal license that came with FPSC.You might want to read it.
I am not going to go and find a copy of the license because for some reason you were incapable of finding yours and reading it.
I see you have issues with copyrights,licenses,etc.
The point is that somebody worked hard and spent their money to make certain things and they have a copyright and a license.
And do try to quit picking fights with people.Some people on the forums are actually trying to help you.
My best guess is that I,much like the last person who was trying to help you,am wasting my time.But my fingers can use the exercise.

stormboy
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "In your case I would suggest simply making your own
segments, that way you will not be as easily disturbed
by the copyright zealots."

Quote: "Hey, if you want original meshes for this,
I'll do those you need for nothin'. Just ask. "

Keep up the good fight!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-08 15:20:07
Your offset time is: 2024-10-08 15:20:07