Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / [Dark Physics] Physics Editor?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2006 22:31
Hi,

I want my objects in the level to be dynamic.
So I tried to use Dynamic Meshes, but from my error i got, and after searching the forum i found out that this command is not supported.

I have also tried to use the Convex body, but the result is by far the worst i have seen. and it doesn't match up with the Objects Vertices.

So i figured that i can use boxes, spheres, etc. and limb them together to form the desired shape of the object (in this case it is a chair).

Would this method work and is there an Editor that I can use to do this? or would i have to write my own? :/

Thanks.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2006 00:48
Yes it would work. I'm building an editor which will do exactly this. But to make it worthwhile, it needs a lot of functionality, so don't expect anything in the next hour or so

Alfred
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2006 02:07
Quote: "Dynamic Meshes, but from my error i got, and after searching the forum i found out that this command is not supported"

Acording to me Dynamic Meshes are supported, only that you can´t collide 2 Dynamic Meshes. This is weird, because the demo that is given with DP collides many dynamic meshes. Maybe it has something to do that all the objects are clones and use a common physx collision file (p-map or supplementary data structure).

Hallowed are the ori.
Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2006 12:43
BatVink,
That sounds good. will you let me know when it is done? (if you will release it publically).

Alfred,
yes, that is what i meant. that two Meshes can't collide with eachother.

@TGC,
Really, is Dark Physics this limited that we need to write an external editor just to get complex models integrated properly? or am i completely on the wrong side of the river?

On another point of view, writing an editor would be a good idea.
that way it could work as a limb model editor, that is integrated with darkphysics. so if i want to build a chair, i can create some boxes and limb them together. Then in the Game, i can destroy the chair and watch it split up into smaller limbs, as they break.

that wouldn't work very well if it was a whole mesh. so good job anyway on forcing us to use this method which will look better.

Medieval Coder
Years of Service
User Offline
An editor shouldnt be to hard I have been thinking of one myself but as a level editor to piece things together. That way you can position stuff, make particles, and other stuff.
If I could ever finish it...

Alfred
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2006 18:36
I already made a little editor. Here´s a screen-shot. It works by separating all the object limbs and then assigning them a box, mesh, or cloth collision (cloth doesn´t work yet because phy make cloth from limb is still not active). Of course, you must assign them manually. You can also make joints by linking 2 objects . It saves all the links, limbs, separations, physx boxes, etc as a physx joints file "*.apxf" which can be loaded and interpreted by my main application.

Hallowed are the ori.
Alfred
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2006 18:36
Until now:

You can view the editor in normal, advanced or isotropic modes.
It has a fast mode.
When you click on an object it highlights.
Ability to select the highlight mode.
You can save and load the "*.apxf" files directly.
Nice interface.

Hallowed are the ori.
Alfred
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2006 18:38
I - can´t - upload - more - than - 15 - KB - per - post!

Hallowed are the ori.
Alfred
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2006 18:41
Other features:

Test - play - pause - reset your joints - simulation and modify the joint parameters to suit your needs.
Many sliders and buttons to quickly achieve desired results.

Hallowed are the ori.
Alfred
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2006 18:52 Edited at: 12th Oct 2006 19:03
Finally, here are the screenshots:

Sorry for posting so many times in a row, but my connection doesn´t allow for anything else.

Hallowed are the ori.
Medieval Coder
Years of Service
User Offline
How were you able to tell once an object was clicked?

Looks very good!

Hoozer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2006 01:37
Alfred,

that seems like a real good piece of work! (When I see such things I start thinking that my little "PhysiX-Competition-Game" is without chances, if such talented people also participate!)

At TGC I must say, that Dark-PhysiX seems to me much more restricted than the PhysiX-SDK (for C++), cause some things are so important, but can't be done (as far as I read the forum-posts), like: Cloth deleting (reseting the scene produces sometimes ugly bugs with the mash, if I just delete the object with the delete object command), continious-collision-detection also would be great (my game needs a complicated workaround to reduce the "tunneling-effect"), etc.

But I'm sure that TGC will implement these things soon, cause they have to convert the methods/functions of the PhysiX-SDK into DBPro-Style (that's how I explain it to me, why they only cover some areas of the PhysiX-SDK).

At destructable objects I must say, that we can exspect some cool stuff, if TGC implements the possibilities of the PhysiX-SDK (deforming meshes since Version 6)!

Hoozer

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 10:52:49
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 10:52:49