Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Eporting Maya to FPS. Anyone have any luck? Any other packages that work?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2006 08:51
There are a number of threads but none really have an answer. The best one suggests exporting to Max but that's a very expensive solution. Apparently Deep Exploration doesn't work for animations and none of the maya .X exporters I tried worked. There's the Direct X SDK pack but everyone says that one is a waste of time. Frustriating. I tried asking a Maya rep a week ago but couldn't get a straight answer. They keep saying they want people to use Maya for games but there doesn't seem to be the export support to make it useable.

On the same note if Maya is a bust are there other solutions people have used that work with FPS for animated characters? Just hate to get into yet another high end package for doing animations. Just need basic animation functions since I model in Modo and Zbrush anyway. Anyone used Gimp? Not crazy about it but it's free at least. frustirating about Maya. I picked up a bunch of educational material on gaming animation but none of it addresses exporting from Maya to games.
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2006 10:51
Milkshape. Someones even been nice enough to provide the FPSC animations for the stock characters for Milkshape. I belive it's like 25 bucks? Not bad, and people have good luck with it and see many members use this in the media section.
DJ Professor K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2006 12:31
The way for not paying for more, is to get the Max trial version, but before you install it, be shure you make lots of animated models, so you can export them to max and convert them before the trial expires.

You can always use milkshape, it's really cheap

My love is seperated in 2 parts, 1 of them is 3ds Max 7, the other; FPSC.
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2006 19:30
rah dude.

The direct SDK works fine in version 6.5 (I know that's not the newest version). Version 7.0 and 7.1 don't work with the SDK.

Just download the SDK and copy the xexporter.ddl into the plugins folder.

Then in the settings menu go to plugin manager and check the tick box next to the xexporter.

select the mesh you wish to export and click
file-- export---and set the format as ".X"

should run (takes about 20secs)

the script window should return a "result=1"

you need to bear in mind that you cannot export boned meshes that have have smooth bind applied to them unless you have done a whole bunch of stuff that may be a bit beyond the average poly-tweaker.

Maya suffers from the fact that most of the mel scripts written for it are done by inhouse production companies, therefore the IP rights remain part of the company and aren't available to thepublic. So there are a whole load of .x exporters out there, just not available to the general public.

I've been using maya for 1 and a half years now, and for general modeling (weapons and scenery), it's absolutely fine. Unfortunately the lack of support for the FPSC skeleton (I haven't been able to import the biped as Maya uses a different bone setup to max and milkshape) means that any characters you make will have to be imported and rigged in 3ds or milkshape.

If you already have maya, don't dispair. I've tried milkshape and I think maya is much easier to model in, the GUI is much more friendly. For FPSC modelling, I'd say 3ds is the best option, but if you already have maya, just get milkshape and you're all set.

butters.

ps have a bunch of maya tuts that I can link you if you want, drop me an email. I would also advise getting "basics of Maya", it's only £50 and it works you through some basic/detailed processes, and even comes with a CD full of Tutorial videos. Money well spent for any maya user.

Belseth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2006 22:55
Sounds like Max is the way to go sadly. I'll give Milkshape a shot. I had found other references to it.

Unfortunately I did try the SDK package but I'm using Maya 7.0 and don't even have an earlier version to fall back on. Odd that it never got updated since Maya is at 8.0 now. I did find a really great DDS converter in the SDK pack so I strongly recommend downloading it for everyone on XP, no good with Win 2000 or Mac. It's a lot to download for a converter but it's free and works really well.

So strange that Maya has never come up with their own .X export utility. Maya is weird in that it's way ahead of everyone in a lot of areas but is really backward in others. Incredibly powerful though so I wish I could use it. I guess with Max I can. They have put a lot of effort into making a bridge between the two. Ironically now that Autodesk has bought Maya there's probably little hope of an exporter. Got to believe they are going to try to keep games in the Max camp. Look at my situation, I'm having to look into buying both now just so I can export Maya animations. Just wish they'd give Maya owners a migration discount.
Cut scenes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2006 01:10
I have a question ok actually 3 do custom animations work being exported.
So with milkshape how do you do the import/ export.
I have maya 7 is there any way that i can downgrade to 6.5.

"People are easier to search when they're dead."--Captain Barbosa
The crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2006 01:16
Quote: "There's the Direct X SDK pack but everyone says that one is a waste of time. "

The directx sdk worked for me for about 2 or 3 months very well. But then it totally bombed out for some reason

Belseth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2006 02:33
I take it the SDK worked okay with 5.0 through 6.5 but doesn't work right with 7.0. Depressing.

"I have maya 7 is there any way that i can downgrade to 6.5."

Some software like Modo maintain earlier versions, I used and downloaded 103 up until recently. Never heard of a downgrade for Maya and I have to believe Autodesk is even less friendly about such things. I think I have a trial version on one of my disks that came with a book for 6.0 or 6.5 but I don't think it'd help. Hard to say but I have to say I wonder if it would work? I think they disable the plug in support so I'm assuming no.
transient
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2006 03:27
You can try these exproters.

You may have to bring the animated models into Fragmotion and export them into FPSC from there (it's only 20 bucks).

Don't use Milkshape for this, it was designed with HL1 in mind and is a bit archaic. Fragmotion is better and is being actively upgraded.

I also have to admit to being a bit jealous about some of the spare cash some of you guys have.

If I was able to drop Maya and use 3dsmax on a whim I'd be taking a holiday on a tropical island and buying something cheaper. But that's just me.

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2006 12:28
If I was able to drop Maya and use 3dsmax on a whim I'd be taking a holiday on a tropical island and buying something cheaper. But that's just me.

Yeah, I find it hard to believe people shelled out for maya 7 without even checking to see if it was compatible with .x

what a waste.

Cut scenes, if you have maya 7, complete your model, UV map it and everything, then save it as an OBJ file (no animation) then import it into Fragmotion/milkshape and export to FPSC

transient
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2006 13:57
Yeah, that no animation in .obj files thing is a bummer.

It would solve so many app-to-app issues.
Belseth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2006 01:32
Actually I didn't get Maya for games I use it for character animation. Trust my a lot of us aren't casually dropping the bucks for the high end packages. I'm 45 and live like a college student so I can aford the hardware and software I need. It's taken 15 years for the animation to start paying off so it's been a long haul and taken every cent I have. I wish I could casually pick up Max because it seems to be the real answer.

I'll check out Fragmotion, never heard of it. Pretty new to games. I just dug into Blender and it might be the best solution for cheap or free animations. The interface is a nightmare but there are some tutorial videos to get you over the nasty learning curve. It probably has the most non standard interface I've ever seen. If you want a high end package I recommend lots of Top Ramen otherwise check out Blender. It has a lot of powerful functions it's just a bit odd to learn because it's really shortcut driven and in the past the documentation was dodgy. They've made a lot of progress with the doumentation in the last couple of years.

You really don't need money. Blender is free, for texture painting The Gimp is close enough to Photoshop to be very useable. For non pro use and some pro use it's more than enough for most people. There are some staggering free texture sites out there as well. For gaming Maya is kind of a waste because 98% of it doesn't really apply to gaming. Max is more the package. Maya is insanely powerful if you are into character animation. If you put the work in the models practically animate themselve. Also physics are really easy in Maya where as they tend to be a royal headache in most packages. I'm a big fan of the Mental Ray renderer as well. Super fast and clean with a lot of power. I know Maya so I'd love to be able to use it for games. Just bizzare to me they don't have any game export support since they do talk a lot about games. The Scene builder in 8.0 is pretty cool but why go to all the trouble to come up with a set builder for games then not have a Direct X exporter? Like I say bizzare.
Belseth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2006 02:18
Unfortunately Fragmotion doesn't support any non game formats for models. Kind of a dead end for me. Personally I cant live without Modo. Drives me nuts to model in anything else. Even Maya the modeller really sucks. It does look like 8.0 made some good improvements but it's still mostly a Nurb modeller. Blender still seems the answer if you're on a budget.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-08 15:51:05
Your offset time is: 2024-10-08 15:51:05