Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Fallin' Frank 1.0 (with Online Score System!)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2003 10:41 Edited at: 19th Apr 2003 11:10
Hey group!

Well after approximately 7 to 8 months of work, I have finally finished my Fallin' Frank game. I posted one other message here many months ago when I first had implemented the online score feature and the game was at Alpha 7 I believe. This is definitely the largest project I have ever started and finished entirely by myself (graphics, sounds, and coding), but I am glad its done. I will be continuing the game when people have feature requests or discover bugs, but aside from that it is a very complete game!

A very thorough readme file is included with the game that provides you with the full story, development background, controls, objectives, and everything else there is to know about the game. I am very interested in finding out what your average frame rate is while playing this game. I have tested it on a variety of computers and most of them seem fine, however since I implemented sound I have only tested it on this one computer, and I am averaging around 75-80 FPS. I have quite a powerful computer though (Pentium 2.4 GHZ, 512MB DDR RAM, Geforce 4, etc.) so I'm worried that it may not be as fast on less powerful computers. To see the frame rate, press the C button while playing and the number will appear in the upper left area of the screen. Please let me know your hardware specs as well.

The game itself is all 2D and done in DarkBASIC Classic! However, all menu systems have been modelled and designed in 3D to visually enhance the quality. I realize that creating the whole game in 3D would probably have been even easier than making it with 2D sprites, but I have not seen many 2D games made in DBC with success.

One feature that I have been complimented about in the past is the unique online score submission! From within the game, you can submit your highscore either locally or to the online top-ten list, and see the results immediately! Not only that, but now you don't only get on the top score list because of your high-score, but there is also another filter which checks by what floor you make it to. I am hoping that it works fine for everyone, but have not tested it on a wide range of computers yet! Let me know the outcome.

I could go on for the rest of today talking about the game (and it is only a little after 1 in the morning so that'd be a lot of talking), but I think its much funner for me and you if you just download the game! Below are some screenshots, the actual description of the game, and links!

Screenshots

Objective & Information

Fallin' Frank is a completely free, fast-paced game in which you must continuously dodge rising platforms (and unhealthy items)! As you progress, the platforms increase in speed. Every 100th floor you clear, the platform design will change (each one is very unique). The objective is to stay as close to the bottom of the screen as possible, because the red laser beam at the top will fry you if touched! As the game progresses, your score goes up in higher increments. There are also 16 items that can be collected (bonus points, power-UPS, power-DOWNS, and specials), each of which will either help you in your adventure, or badly interfere with yoru conquest. Some of the items have instant effects (such as the platform and player speeds, bonus points, and instant death), while others can be saved and used when you desire (Super Frank, Time Stopper, etc.). When you do get fried by the beam, you can submit your score online or locally, and try to become the best Fallin' Frank you can be!

[center]Major Features

* 3D Rendered Menu Screens
* In-game music and menu music
* Entertaining voice and sound effects
* Ability to submit your high-score either locally or online (right from game)
* Randomized platform arrangement and increasingly fast speeds
* Score algorithm which increases score value each time platforms get faster
* Scrolling backdrop
* Mouse Navigation Ability
* 10 platform designs (smoothly transitions every 100 floors)
* Different expressions for player
* Live stats while playing
* High-score includes your rank, name, score, and floors cleared - Sorted by score OR floor
* Touch of Gravity
* 16 Powerups, Powerdowns, specials and bonuses
* Ability to jump across platforms
* Frame rate limitter and preventor (can't submit online if frame rate is less than 45)

[center]Minimum System Requirements

Pentium II 300 MHZ
64MB RAM
Windows 95/98/ME/2000/XP
Direct 3D compatible video card (8MB)
Direct X compatible soundcard
Direct X 7 or higher

[center]Links & Download

Main Home Page: http://mogwai.volcanicsoft.com

Official Fallin' Frank Site: http://mogwai.volcanicsoft.com/downloads/ff/index.htm

Direct Download Link: http://mogwai.volcanicsoft.com/downloads/f-frank.zip

[center]Closure

Once again, this game has taken me far more effort and time than any other independant project yet (in particularily the online scoring system). I am offering it for free, but would like feedback and comments on it! This is also my final project for my programming class. We got assigned an end-of-the-year project in which we had to create any game, that has a score system and arranges the scores in a certain order. I figure this game will do! Please visit my site, use the forums, or e-mail me and let me know what you think! G'Night!

http://mogwai.volcanicsoft.com
Newest Game Released: Fallin' Frank 1.0
darkCorridor
Years of Service
User Offline
WoW I haven't had time to download > YET < though i will in abit but from what i see this looks very good

[br]mikey
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2003 12:02
I'm downloading now - in the meentime I just thought i'd point at that the scorechart isn't as unique as you'd hoped - sorry :/

You may have got the idea first though I don't know, butmyspacebarjustbroke,darn.

iCantTellYouHowInfuriatingThis is , woot it just unbroke.

Ok where was I !? Credit where it is due you probably got there first, but I got the first finished game with one ! Episode V: Battle for Hoth is a retro competition prize winner and downloadable from the Banshee website. I was also going to do a netscore for our Jetpac game too and mentioned that quite a lot a few months back in discussing the game, but never did...

Anyway, your game looks like it could be quite fun - so i'm off to play...

Pneumatic Dryll
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2003 15:54
What a great little game!

The best I could do score-wise was 11000 of the bottom of the hiscore chart though, which leaves me to wonder if the game plays at the same speed on all machines or whether I was that bad at it!?

Pneumatic Dryll
Whisper Wind
Years of Service
User Offline
Very good! Nice work.
Joeyjoejoe Shabadoo
Years of Service
User Offline
:-s

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 07:12:08
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 07:12:08