Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Some questions.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2006 19:08
I was just wondering what exactly does FPSC support?

1: What is the renderer like? Can it render realistic shadows, bumpmapping, normal mapping, parralax mapping etc?

2: I noticed in another thread that grenades and rocket launchers arn't supported in multiplayer. Can this be added by the user via script/code?

3: Can FPSC be used to create anything other than an FPS game? I'm interested in creating a top-down or side scrolling shooter as well as an FPS.

3: What is the maximum texture resolution?

4: does FPSC support volumes, such as water volumes, physics volumes, damage volume etc etc?

5: Does FPSC have a terrain editor?

6: How dynamic is the level editor? I saw a video showing some of the features and it seemed that rooms and walls could only be one height from what i saw of the video. Is this true or can the level be created with any shaped room you like?

7: Does FPSC support optimization such as occluding parts of the level that do not need to be rendered until it is in the players view?

8: Is the maximum multiplayer count 8, or can it be set by the user? ie, 16,32,64 players?

9: Is there ragdoll support and physics contraints?

10: Is there support for dynamic lighting?

I think i have some more questions, ill post those as soon as i can think of em

Thanks for any replies.
DJ Professor K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2006 13:56 Edited at: 17th Oct 2006 09:16
1. See it by the pics, its the best way to tell.

2. No

3. No and it will never be done, why you think this is called FPS Creator?

3a. (or your 2nd 3). 516x516

4. Water by default no, tbut theres water now made by the community, psysics in a sort strange way, yes, dmg volume? i didnt get it.

5. No

6. Its true, but you can create enteties with diferent heights, and placed them in the map to create bigger strangly shaped walls and such.

7. Right now..... no

8. I think its 8 max, dunno since i never checked, and no, its level default numb. of players (FPSC still isn't tweaked for MP, wait for future updates)

9. no, this isn't HL2, it has physics, but way limited.

10. Yep but, it isn't like D3

hope it helps.

My love is seperated in 2 parts, 1 of them is 3ds Max 7, the other; FPSC.
Silent Thunder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2006 01:45
Quote: "3: What is the maximum texture resolution?"

whatever your computer can handle.

i usually make my guns 1024 x 1024.

Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2006 05:17 Edited at: 17th Oct 2006 05:18
Quote: "/code?"

Yes, with DBP and enough time and effort, you can do anything.
Quote: "Other then a FPS game"
Yes, several 'rpg' type games have been made and several ideas of other gametypes have been 'discussed' and 'contemplated' as do able with curent restraints. Not sure about a 2d scroller, as the engine is designed for 3d.
Quote: "What is the maximum texture resolution"

As said before, it is undefined (and will people learn to count in multiples of 2? it is 512 not 516)
Quote: "Does FPSC support optimization such as occluding parts of the level that do not need to be rendered until it is in the players view?"

There are two types of people in this world, people who think they know stuff and tell others polluting the world with pure unadulterated balloney, and those who actually know stuff. The 'engine' has bugs, but DBP automatically does not 'render' unviewable objects. That, is an immutable truth.

Wisemen are hard to find, they are tarnished by sayings and quotes that are not of their true nature.
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2006 09:16
Quote: "There are two types of people in this world, people who think they know stuff and tell others polluting the world with pure unadulterated balloney"

LOL...
To be honest,I think everyone has a certain amount of "pure unadulterated balloney"...some more than others.

It is possible to make a 3rd person game and it is possible to make an RPG.
To make your game a 3rd person game you would make a character with a weapon as the weapon then you would see the hole character instead of just the weapon.
The easiest way to make an RPG would be to make RPG models and simply give them the scripts that would match what the items would do in the present or future...for instance,make a loaf of bread and give it the pickuphealth.fpi script.
FPSC does have physics but nothing like HL2.
FPSC does support dynamic lighting and full lightmapping...if you are really patient.
I usually use static lighting and I get pretty good results.
I use dynamic lighting only if I absolutely need a light to switch on/off.
Multiplayer supports a maximum of 8 players at a time.

Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2006 09:59
Well, quite frankly, I am sick of the FPSC 'can't do this' rumors. Hell, in my scripting days I broke a bit of what Lee said FPSC can't do, or at least conceptually.

There are even mods for RPG Elements featured in the never read 'revial' (I probally should get you to update that to include a link to emptys mods...). And game design around RPG basis has been discussed multiple times. I really don't see how people can be so oblivious to that and think they know what they say they do. (I can understand 'rumor', but somethings are absurd. There was a guy asking for a JETPACK and someone suggested a TRIGGERZONE which 'lifts the player'... seriously. *sigh*

I just remembered why I left these forums in the first place. The constant fight to educate the uneducatable masses. Way too many of these threads all with the same responses, superioritistic fools.

On a lighter note, I just love the '2 type of people' puns. It is a great way to convey a message across in a package that says 'listen, I know'.

There are two types of people, people who believe that humanity can honestly be segregated into two opposing groups and be represented equally as such, and those who can't contemplate any fundemenal ties between people due to sheer ignorance. I am neither.

Wisemen are hard to find, they are tarnished by sayings and quotes that are not of their true nature.
DJ Professor K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2006 12:39
To those who never had a typo in their life, speak now or forever shut their *censured*.

Anyway, like i said, this is a app. for you to make FPS games, side scrolling isn't possible, unless heavely edit the source code, but lets face it, to edit the source code, you need DBp and DBp knoladge, it's way cheaper and easier to make a full game in DBp that buying FPSC, DBp and pehaps 1 of the 2 books, learn it, edit the FPSC source, and then make the game in FPSC (by the time you learned DBp, are you going to a app. wich is really limited... and edit, when you can now make a way better game already?).

But in FPSC you can make games like FPS-RPG, for exemple like Morrowind (levels not that big, but the gameplay like it).

You can evan make it like a strategy game with the feels of FPS, nothing stops you to make games in FPS + other genger (RPG/Strategy/Puzzle/etc.)

Simulation isn't also made to be part of FPSC, you can remove the gravity to make kinda a space flight, but the atritions and such won't look realistic, and like before, to tweak it, you need go to source.

FredP said that we can have a charater has a weapon (so its still basically a weapon), but there are some cons. 1 of those is that if a NPC shoots you, but shoots for exemple top-right and your "char" is in the middle-center, you will get hurt (exemple ingame: you're char is lowered behind a crate, but you have a small part of the screen not covered by the crate, the npc shoots that part, there you're hurt, this is something about "players hitbox"), there are otehr cons, but i won't much say it, since i'm a FPS fan, not a 3º person fan, that so, i still didn't try to make a 3º person char in my game.

Finaly, FPSC renders everything on the level, it's 1 of the reasons we are limited to use less objects becouse of the lag...

Textures, like i said, i think it's limit is 512x512 (i had a typo before), you can use bigger ones, but, i think the game when its copiled, it will "fix" the image size to that one, perhaps it's me, but i checked lots of times and i have every settings on max before copiling (building) the game, and every texture has a lower resolution ingame after the build game...

Anyway, we have the fossils (with this word i don't inted to insult anyone, i'm actually congrating them for being here so long) in this forum to correct me (and other forum members) if we're rong, i can be here for some time, but not for that long, and yeah, while i'm buisier with my Oblivion mod and making evan more models to my game, i'm not surfing FPSC code and 100% possibilities.

And Les Horribles, don't need to use "expensive words", they don't make you smarter for using them...... *evil laugh*

Peace

My love is seperated in 2 parts, 1 of them is 3ds Max 7, the other; FPSC.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-08 15:51:31
Your offset time is: 2024-10-08 15:51:31