Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Why does the game seem to be slow/lag?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Is there a way to make the game more smooth, as in a little quicker (walking/shooting response time/etc) and just making it smooth in general. I want to buy the software as I'm just doing the trial right now, but I would hate playing my game since it's choppy (mostly enemy characters) and just seems slow (shooting seems to happen a split second after). Be kind, I'm a noob
goter
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi

I've been having the same problem. I'm also using the trial. Did you try turning the speed up on the player start point options? I found it helped walking and running, but jumping, falling and response times were still slow.
DJ Professor K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2006 12:53
Hi and Welcome to TGC forums, i hope you enjoy your stay, evan if sometimes you get shouted/flamed, its a living :/

Ok, lets get started shall we?

Unfortunally by the way FPSC is built, we are limited to the number of objects we use in our games, also, don't forget, this engine isn't like HL2/Doom3/Quake4.

The only way to fix it, by now (don't forget that FPSC like all the other products are always under patches and upgradess), is to use less objects in rooms and in big open areas use way less objects. Don't place too many enemies in the same place, this will also help.

I still say you should buy FPSC, since with it you can still make really fun games

Details isn't everything.

Regards

DJ

My love is seperated in 2 parts, 1 of them is 3ds Max 7, the other; FPSC.
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2006 09:25
Quote: "Unfortunally by the way FPSC is built, we are limited to the number of objects we use in our games, also, don't forget, this engine isn't like HL2/Doom3/Quake4."

If you have the full version and the latest update there is no object limit...however some members have reported a decrease in speed.
There have been a bunch (and I mean a BUNCH) of threads that address the speed issues of FPSC.
While I won't go into the details as you can search and read about them in other threads I will give a few pointers.
1. Good level design helps.
Large open areas,super long hallways or areas with way to many dynamic entities can cause lag.
2. If you don't need an object to move or react then make it static.Just be aware that some objects are made dynamic to react properly to lightmapping so if you make a object static and it looks funny when you use different lighting try changing it back to dynamic.
3. You can have up to 50 levels in your game...although no one has ever released one with that many levels.This means that if you wish you can make smaller levels and make more levels as opposed to making huge levels if you find larger levels are causing a major lag.
I would advise that you search the forums and check out the threads on the speed issue.They are quite informative.

Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2006 09:46
Quote: "The only way to fix it, by now (don't forget that FPSC like all the other products are always under patches and upgradess), is to use less objects in rooms and in big open areas use way less objects. Don't place too many enemies in the same place, this will also help."

Enemy Scripts are the result of this. It would be relitivly easy to nit together an 'all seeing eye' type script which would reduce entity related lag by 70%, but you have to sacrifice AI quality to do that. The 'lag' command is the 'plrcanbeseen' as it runs though a hefty function (blah).

Phyisics is a popular blame for lag, even though it can be setup to hardly generate it, as well as multiple dynamic objects. You can have a plethora of dynamic objects (reasonably) and not receive lag from them. Ontop of that, you have umans load+un script.

Level design affects the lag a signifigant amount over anyother type of lag (excluding 'plrcanbeseen'). Although dynamic objects can be 'forced' to generate more lag then the level, I don't see it happening if you reasonably use them.

Quote: "Details isn't everything."

Detail is everything. Small changes can revolutionize the world.

Wisemen are hard to find, they are tarnished by sayings and quotes that are not of their true nature.
DJ Professor K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2006 15:45 Edited at: 17th Oct 2006 15:47
When i said we're limited with the number of objects, i ment that we're limited since bigger numbers will slowdown the gameplay, of course, this will change from pc to pc (diferent system specs).

And Horribres, Details is nothing compared to feactures.

Games that keep you entretained more time, are those with more feactures that details, some exemples are: Soldat, AQ2 (Action Q2, it's a mod wich still has more monthly players that for exemple UT2k4), mohaa, etc.

A game might lack in graphics or details in levels (generally), but it can really be funnier to play then a big game with uber 1337 graphics/detailed levels.

My love is seperated in 2 parts, 1 of them is 3ds Max 7, the other; FPSC.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-08 15:47:39
Your offset time is: 2024-10-08 15:47:39