Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / TGC/NVidia Game Dev Competition judging rule remark......

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2006 15:09 Edited at: 16th Oct 2006 15:11
I just have to get this off my chest.....

The competition is cool, the prizes are great, the rulses are well thought of, but one rule really seems to be out of place......

Quote: "Games will be judged against 7 criteria,

Best use of Physics "

That's seems kind of out of place for FPSC. We all know the FPSC physics system sucks and is a major game killer in FPSC, especially when it comes to speed. Also it's commonly know that the physics system is very limited. So the best use of physics really doesn't make sense at all. Sorry to say so, but you should have thought up of a better rule instead of this one, on that makes sense at least.

It's very obvious that with the competition, the lacks and problems of FPSC have been avoided, yet a major problem causer has been left in it, very strange.

Everyone knows the advice that is given to make sure the game runs smoothly.... avoid use of physics as much as possible or even avoid using it.

http://www.gamefun4u.nl/index.html
GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2006 15:25
It means be more creative with your puzzles than simply 'key - door'. Block an exit with crates, require a bridge to be built, make something need throwing through a high window, etc. Based on a number of well made FPSC games I've played, the rule is certainly fair if you know what you're doing with the scripts.

"Bite my shiny metal ass" (Futurama)
"Don't ping my cheese with your bandwidth" (Dilbert)
DJ Professor K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2006 15:58
When we talk about PHYSICS we aren't only refering to HL2 ragdolls and props physics, or from the ones seen in d3.

We can make really fun things with FPSC physic system.

My love is seperated in 2 parts, 1 of them is 3ds Max 7, the other; FPSC.
SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2006 17:22
Like richard just said, you could through a brick through a window and when it is destroyed, have a character spawn and a door opens. Thats one way to do it.

stormboy
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "We can make really fun things with FPSC physic system"

Absolutely, dissing the physics in fpsc is counter productive!

I'd love my gun back after I've hurled the table through the wall though.
SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2006 18:53
Well, I just tried making a hanging chain out of lots of hoop entities, but fpsc's collision detection sucks and they went flying all over the place.

DJ Professor K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2006 20:30
You like it or not, physics in FPSC are fun, evan if they are only worth for a laugh

But hey, like already said, we can make bridge or put boxes near a wal so we can jump it, but these are way basic things, with a little imagination, we can still use FPSC physics to make something... uhh... controctive... or somethin

My love is seperated in 2 parts, 1 of them is 3ds Max 7, the other; FPSC.
Belseth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2006 22:08
I agree with the others that the point is to be inventive with what you can do. The contest is to in part encourage pushing the limits. One of the first things I did in a test game was to push a series of columns around until I could jump across them. That's an obvious thing to do. If you want to score heavy points you need to be more inventive. I haven't played with the physics enough yet to know the limits. I'm curious to try a few things.
transient
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2006 12:41
Even something like the "volcano spawn" example would be a cut above the average FPSC level.

FPSC's physics don't ruin my creations.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-08 15:59:56
Your offset time is: 2024-10-08 15:59:56