Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Lua and C++

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello

Is it possible to use a combination of Lua script and C++ in Dark Game SDK ?

Alberto
Miguel Melo
Years of Service
User Offline
Of course. There are C++ wrappers for Lua if you want to go heavily object oriented (default lua binding is stack based C) and, obviously, you can wrap calls to dgdk with your own C++ game classes.

As a personal preference, can I suggest that you look into GameMonkey as a scripting language? Albeit similar, I find it easier to use than Lua.

I have vague plans for World Domination
AlbertoT
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks
It is really interesting

Alberto
AlbertoT
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello Miguel

Did you test GameMonkey on extensibe basis ?
Any problem ?

Thanks in advance

Alberto
Miguel Melo
Years of Service
User Offline
I wouldn't say "extensively" but I use it in the prototype I am making and it holds his own. I haven't used the included remote debugger in a while but I remember that it worked ok most of the time (if I recall it sometimes didn't break into the scripts) but other than that, pretty cool.

Here's an actual "location" script sample from my game. The location is comprised of 2 zones and you go from one to the other via walking into (one of two) hotspots. When you go into another zone, the game fades out, switches cameras and lights and fades in.
I also set up callback hooks for when the cursor hovers over walkable terrain or these hotspots. See if you can spot all this in the script:

I have vague plans for World Domination

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-17 06:17:05
Your offset time is: 2024-06-17 06:17:05