Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / (Almost) found workaround for broken ghosting

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2006 03:52 Edited at: 24th Oct 2006 04:52
Hi all,

Because ghosting is currently broke in 1.6.2, I thought I'd have a go at playing with object data directly to see if it was possible to force DGDK to render an object ghosted, by directly modifying the parameters of an object structure stored internally.

It almost worked, but unfortunately there were side effects, but you can experiment further yourself to see if you can eventually get it to work. I'm just laying down the foundation.

This is in no way a solution of course, but it's an attempt and trying to figure if I can directly influence DX for rendering a Ghost object.

Also, if your dbGetObject function is commented out or wrong for whatever reason in the header file (DarkSDKBasic3D.h), the prototype is:

sObject* dbGetObject( int iID );

Also, you will need to #include <DBO Format/dbodata.h>
at the top of the header file as well, otherwise sObject will cause an error when building

I've tweaked and changed my headers to resolve problems so much, I can't remember if this is actually available in the originally installed header files.

Anyway, have fun.

Paul.

APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2006 04:11
I also found that the effect improved by turning off backdrop - dbBackdropOff() and turning on Alpha mapping using dbSetAlphaMappingOn. Unfortunately this isn't great, and really, at the end of the day... we need a new update of the libraries.

Paul.

APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2006 05:08 Edited at: 25th Oct 2006 00:54
Ok, I think I've found a usable workaround, the image shows what happens when I apply the following code to an object using 1.6.2. code, and the above suggestions:

And the result:

Hope this helps for the time being folks.

Paul.

[EDIT] BTW, I can only seem to get a good effect with Ghost mode 2 (I had said 1, but I meant mode 2) All other modes appear to have a black hue around the objects. So experiment with the code to see what you can get.

I've only just read in another thread, but is this a problem with primary objects and not cloned ones?

bigbrother 2000
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2006 01:17
I will give this a test tomorrow thanks APEXnow.

Apparently ghost object was working in earlier versions,

Would it be possible for those who really need this function to download a version that it was working in DarkBasic people?

Thanks

SNOW ISLAND : www.snowisland.co.uk
BEWARE THE MOON : www.bewarethemoon.co.uk
ALIEN INVASION : www.alien-invasion.co.uk

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-17 05:32:53
Your offset time is: 2024-06-17 05:32:53