Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I understand how the 15 x 15 works. But how do you get 5 units in height with only one layer? Thanks.

LIFE: "That thing that happens to us when we are too young to die"
~V.J.C. 2003
filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2006 20:09
I guess you are talking about the Nvidia contest.
5 layers can be made into 1 level. Get the difference?

Layers are the 'floors' in game.
Levels are the stages you need to cross (using Winzones)to go to another level.

-- n00b at playing games...and now at making em too :p --
Cruise McClarren
Years of Service
User Offline
That's what I thought. Thanks for the clarification. Time to get back to work (BLAH) lol

LIFE: "That thing that happens to us when we are too young to die"
~V.J.C. 2003
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2006 21:14
Man, they (TGC & NVIDIA) are going to be bombarded by entries in that contest.

Is there anyone that is NOT entering it?

I guess all of us need a new computer.

Don't forget to visit Conjured Entertainment
filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2006 22:20
lol ya Conjured

And its too long a deadline for anyone to pass up on

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2006 22:34
Quote: "Is there anyone that is NOT entering it?"

Me.
At least not at the moment.
Not that I don't need a new computer...thank God mine finally quit smoking...lol.
Just don't have the time.
But that's a nice deadline...I may change my mind before then.

filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2006 23:56
Yup, the deadline is what made me think about it.

Looking at the prizes, I was more discouraged than encouraged
I know one thing for sure - there is no substitute for experience; and looking at some of these guys here on the forums, I was not going to try.

But like I said, the deadline seemed far off, and I thought I may have time to give it a go along with the other stuff I do.

p.s: lol...is it really ok to 'chat' like this in the FPSC chat board on someone else's thread (although he already got his answer)?

Silent Thunder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2006 01:38
Quote: "I guess all of us need a new computer."

not me, just got one a month or two ago.

I don't think I'm entering because people like Butter Fingers will blow everyone else away, I'm just concentrating on this month's contest now.

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2006 01:57
I'm still debating my entry.

Not that the prices aren't good, I like a new pc also, but I really don't fancy a publishing contract with Mastertronic at all, especially not when they're funding it.

Quote: "That's right, you could see your game on store shelves. The winning game will get funding to be developed into a full title, and upon satisfactory completion it will be published worldwide by Mastertronic."

That may sound great, but it's also very tricky. For them to be satisfied one may end up loosing all creativity and creating a games others want, not what the creator had in mind.

There's second reason for not knowing for sure if I'm going to enter yet.

I've seen TGC openly comment on only a few games under development with FPSC. Those games weren't the best ones made with FPSC at all, yet they choose to support those for some reason. I'm not sure if TGC is open enough to truly let the best games win.

Because of this (and Nvidia and a publisher being involved also), my main concern is that the best game will not win at all. That may sound strange, but think about it..... They're going to look for a winner that will have the potential to be published. That doesn't have to be the best game at all, that's the game that will appeal to the general public the most and most of us indie developers know that those aren't always the best games at all.

I've seen this happen at a competition before sponsored in the same way and the best games didn't win at all.

Thirdly..... I really don't like this one:
Quote: "Entries remain the property of their authors, but full and free (non-exclusive) distribution rights are granted in perpetuity to TGC and NVIDIA (and their associated subsidiaries and partners)"

I'm putting lot's of work into it...... don't win a prize at all and yet TGC/Nvidia and whoever else may decide to use may game for who know what. I've seen this rule before and remember what happed. One of these associated subsidiaries/partners decided to release CD-Rom with a good number of the entries on it. Made good money of it and never ever had to pay anything to the creators at all. Who guarantees that this won't happen with our levels? We're putting lot's of work, effort and time into it and someone else making monay of it.

So due to these and other reasons I'm still debating if I'm going to enter or not.

http://www.gamefun4u.nl/index.html
GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
Candle_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2006 02:50
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2006 04:35
Quote: "p.s: lol...is it really ok to 'chat' like this in the FPSC chat board on someone else's thread (although he already got his answer)?"

I think it is as long as we are on topic, which the contest is a direct relation to the thread's topic.
So, I hope it is because I thought it was.

@ Benjamin A
Those are alot of good points.
I thought about all that a little bit too, but I figured it would be fun.
What else am I going to do with my spare time, but play with FPSC?
I was hoping I would get some exposure, especially if they marketed my game (winner or not).

Quote: "Entries remain the property of their authors, but full and free (non-exclusive) distribution rights are granted in perpetuity to TGC and NVIDIA (and their associated subsidiaries and partners)"

key phrase #1 = Entries remain the property of their authors
key phrase #2 = (non-exclusive) distribution rights

#1 I still own it, so I can still do whatever I want with it too, like sell it.
#2 non-exclusive means again that I can still sel it too if I want.

I guess what I am trying to say is, even if...
Quote: "One of these associated subsidiaries/partners decided to release CD-Rom with a good number of the entries on it. Made good money of it and never ever had to pay anything to the creators at all. "

I could still sell it for less than their bundled pack and make sales.
If your game is that good, then people who buy their pack will tell their friends and then they would just buy your game instead of the other stuff in the whole bundle. Kinda like, why buy the album when I only like one single song on it. Just buy the single. I don't see where I am giving away anything, or wasting any creation time.
This is helping to get the games recognized on a big scale since it is being published in magazines.
It's a good thing I think. For TGC, NVIDIA, , and all of us in the FPSC community.

Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2006 06:07
I guess I might as well step in.

-This...is my boomstick!
Support your local Riker 9 Chapter.
Michael S
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2006 06:09
Hey Cellbloc havent seen you in a wile how have you been?

Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2006 07:35
Great. I work at Cartoon Network now. Freaking great gig! Thought I'd try out this competition now.

-This...is my boomstick!
filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2006 07:58
@ ben...very good points there. And I am pretty much sure most of them might be true.
But you realise, a lot of us here are just newbs to this gaming industry. A lot of us take this only as a hobby, and out of the remaining, not many are really interested in actually making money off their games.
So other than that, I guess the exposure we would get (that is again only if we ARE good enough) through such CDs would only help us.

The only thing I hope is (and I hope real bad) that Nvidia or TGC, whoever does that 'distribution' atleast lists the game creator along with the game name.
A "Rise of the Blahs - A game by Blah Productions" would benefit the maker a lot (and wouldnt really hamper earnings!)

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2006 19:36 Edited at: 25th Oct 2006 19:40
Quote: "Great. I work at Cartoon Network now. Freaking great gig!"

"Lucky!"...Napoleon Dynamite

Quote: "Thought I'd try out this competition now."

Excellent Cellbloc, that steps it up a bit.
Nice to see the 'ol schoolers' coming back around for it.
Are you going to use a Modified engine (R9)?
Just curious.                                        

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2006 19:49
Yes please Cellbloc use your famous Riker 9 for the competition. I'm suprised you even came back, after we all found out that R9 is just a big lie.

Anyway good luck to all of you entering.

GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2006 00:32
Benjamin A:

Thanks! I'm looking forwards to it!

-This...is my boomstick!
transient
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2006 05:01
Quote: "I'm putting lot's of work into it...... don't win a prize at all and yet TGC/Nvidia and whoever else may decide to use may game for who know what. I've seen this rule before and remember what happed. One of these associated subsidiaries/partners decided to release CD-Rom with a good number of the entries on it. Made good money of it and never ever had to pay anything to the creators at all. Who guarantees that this won't happen with our levels? We're putting lot's of work, effort and time into it and someone else making monay of it.

So due to these and other reasons I'm still debating if I'm going to enter or not."

Rule 12:

Entries remain the property of their authors, but full and free (non-exclusive) distribution rights are granted in perpetuity to TGC and NVIDIA (and their associated subsidiaries and partners)

If your worried about this don't enter. Pretty simple, really.

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2006 03:08
Quote: "Hi all,

Today we released two new trial versions of DBPro and FPS Creator. These trials will last long enough for the competition + judging deadlines, where-as the ones currently on the DBPro/FPSC sites will not."

As a TGC customers, that feels a bit like a blow in the face..... I've paid for FPSC. I've invested a lot of money in it. I've put up with all kinds of bugs and so have many of us. But now I can see people who are just using this extended trial version winning the prize(s). Somehow that doesn't feel right.

We could see a number of 'experienced' game designers who have no interest in FPSC at all, just come in, use the trial version and walk a way with the prizes. Now even none TGC customers could win the competition. This would have been hard to with the regular trial version, but now it's easy to accomplish.

Once the word get's out that TGC has done this, most of us will not stand a chance anymore, if the experiences guys decide to enter using FPSC.

Anyway, the more I think about this competition, the more it starts to feel like one big advertising scheme. It looks to me like TGC is deperately looking for a number of good FPSC titles which have the potential of being distributed commercially by a well known publisher, so that TGC can say, hey look what you can do with FPSC and sell even more copies.... any current released titles aren't looked upon as good enough for that, so let's try getting these guys abandon their puny little projects and create something we like and can use for promotion

It's the game a game engine designer needs to play if he wants to play with the 'big boys' and TGC is for sure lacking these titles compared to the other game engines out there.

Not sure if I want to be part of that game though....... so this last move is one more reason against entering.

Doughboy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2006 04:04
"It looks to me like TGC is deperately looking for a number of good FPSC titles which have the potential of being distributed commercially by a well known publisher, so that TGC can say, hey look what you can do with FPSC and sell even more copies.... "

Well, yeah.
transient
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2006 04:43
TGC have always released demos for their comps.

As for the rest of this rant....well the aliens moved my navel as well, but I actually think it's an improvement.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-08 18:24:25
Your offset time is: 2024-10-08 18:24:25