Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Text/ Story line problems

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2006 03:31
I've used the search but several times but nothing is helping me. I went to benjamin a's text/storyline thing but it's not a tutorial. all it says is use these scripts. Do i have to have photoshop? Do i save it as a .tga? How do i get the path to the image?

Help me please. I've only had fps for a few days... so i'm a NOOB!!!
Zaibatsu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2006 07:29
Calm down, take a few breaths and listen to Zaibatsu.

as for saving a TGA, that seems so basic the only way for me to explain it is bay saying save as a tga file. so find someone to help you with that.

for the story line thing- put the picture file in the Videobank folder under files. then put the Story Zone on the map. then right click it. set the visual to your image by clicking the browse button thing.

see picture for additional help.

NOTE: A jpg will work just fine.

"If it weren't for monsoor here, this town wouldn't be here, and that kid would never grow up to lie about texas!"

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2006 10:41
I've you've taken the time to read through the mentioned trhead, you would have gained all of the information needed.

Besides my talking nps scripts were never intended to be a tutorial, but if you would have taken the time to really read the thread, your question would have been answered.

http://www.gamefun4u.nl/index.html
GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2006 03:19
Thanks Zaibatsu! Actually that was a lot easier than i thought. i just didn't take enough time to figure it out.

I didn't read all of your thread benjamin because i didn't feel like reading it all due to sheer laziness
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2006 03:23
Quote: "I didn't read all of your thread benjamin because i didn't feel like reading it all due to sheer laziness "

And I don't feel like typing the same thing over and over again, so you're lucky Zaibatsu helped you

GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2006 03:50
But now i have another problem. Benjamin i read you thread but i don't get what you mean when you want more than one person talking. i only get the same text to pop up even if i put different scripts to different story zones.

I'm young so my vocabulary isn't extremely good. big words and lots of words get me confused real easy
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2006 05:50
Quote: "I didn't read all of your thread benjamin because i didn't feel like reading it all due to sheer laziness "

Great...
If you want to make a good game or even a game that is not too bad you are going to have to put some effort into it.
If you didn't bother reading the whole thread and then you post here for an answer that you could have found by reading that just screams the word "unprofessional".
I would have said "lazy" but you already covered it.
Now I would suggest you read through the thread Ben made again...the whole thread...the answer to your question is in there.

RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2006 06:32
FredP- if you look at the thread right above you it says that i just read the thread. another reason why i didn't read the entire thread because as i was reading it... it seemed to me like it was just telling you what the scripts do so i didn't bother reading the rest of it. Zaibatsu covered it anyways. i still don't understand the more than one person talking part though.
G4fan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2006 22:33 Edited at: 23rd Nov 2006 01:50
All right Jenkins. I think I can help you with your .tga problem.

First, Get Photoshop CS2 if you don't already have it. It's a great tool to use when dealing with images. Also look for photoshop Artist.

Second, .tga files are the best file type to use. In your case, .txt flie types work too, but they can flake out on you.

Third, I want you to follow my instructions.

I'll work with .tga images already made in FPSC to create a new one. I'll change the image that appears at he bottom of the screen when you pick up a weapon. I won't mess with the sound flie.

1= Open up FPSC.
2= Get any prefab and stick it in the grid.
3= Select a desk and place it anyware within the room.
4= Add an MP40 and keep it dynamic.
5= Press "enter" to put the entity on top of the desk.
6= Minimize FPSC and open up FPeye (if you don't have this program, get it. It lets you tamper with scripts. Find it at rockstevens.com).
7= Once in FPeye, go to FileOpen.
8= Now look for the script called "weapon.fpi". Double click on it to bring it up. Notice that on the first line of code it uses a .tga type. That's what we're going to change.
9= Minimize FPeye and Open up Photoshop.
10= Click on FileOpen. You should know how to get to the "Files" menu, but if you don't, I'll show you how.
10a= Get to "My Computer".
10b= From here is where you can get to FPSC stuff. My ComputerPrograms CProgram FilesThe Game CreatorsFPS CreatorFiles.
11= Now what you need to do is find a folder called "languagebank".
(You'll know you're in the right place when you see the files: audiobank, editor, etc.).
12= Click on "languagebank".
13= Once the folder is open, wait a minute. Here is where we break out of sequence. At the very bottom of the "Open" menu, look for File Type. Click on the down arrow. Once you've done that, a drop-down list should appear of avalible file types. Change the file type from what it previously was to "All Flies".
14= Click on english (or German if you want everything in another language).
15= From there click on "gamecore"

*NOTE*
DO NOT CONFUSE THIS GAMECORE WITH THE OTHER ONE AT THE "FILES" MENU. CHANGE THE NAME OF ONE OF THEM IF YOU NEED TO.

16= Click on "text".
17= A series of tga. and .dds file types should be coming up. Scince your interested in .tga files, we'll use that.
18= Click on "pickedupaweapon.tga". The image should appear on your workspace.
19= Let's save this. Click on FileSave as.
20= Type in: "Template"
21= Make sure we have .tga as the file type here. When your sure, click save.
22= Before we make our own image, we need to know some info about this image. Go to EditImage Size. This menu gives you all the dimensions for that image. In this case, "pickedupaweapon.tga".
23= Write this info down and keep it acsessable.
24= X out of the Image menu and click on FileNew.
25= The size options of our new image should come up. Plug in the dimensions we wrote down and make the resoulution 72.
26= Click on O.k. (or something like it).
27= An exact replica of the original should appear depicting the original image.
28= Before we do anything else, lets save this. Click on FileSave as.
29= Here is where things can get different. Instead of a .tga type to save as, we'll save this as a .dds type. .tga types won't let you type on them. You'll have to reformat everytime you want to mess with a .tga type.
30= Click save.
31= Let's do some typing!!!! Click on the big "T" on the left side of the screen.
32= Typing prefrences should appear. You can choose any font, size, or style you want. Anything'll work. For size, I recommend anything above 36 pt.
33= Place the cursor at where you want to start (don't worry about making it perfect).
34= Type in: "Picked up a Machine Gun".
35= Lets save this once again. Change the flie type from .dds to .tga and type in: "pickedupamachinegun".
36= Click save.
37= X out of Photoshop and go back to FPeye.
38= Change the pre-set .tga file and replace it with "pickedupamachinegun.tga" exactly as it's written without the quotes.
39= Click on FileSave as. Type in: "weaponrevised".
40= X out of FPeye and get back into FPSC.
41= Right click on the MP40 and under AI Scripts, change the script form "weapon.fpi" to our script, 'weaponrevised.fpi" by double clicking on the new script.
42= Hit Apply Changes.
43= It's finally time to test. In the drop down menu, click on 3rd button that has white castle thing on it (far right)

Did you like the results?

This is a great technique that can get people used to using .tga and .dds flie types.

I realized you don't care about .dds files, but when working with .tga types, they're kinda hard to miss.

Sean
G4fan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2006 00:19
Ops!!

I maybe messed up here on which product you should consider buying.

First, Photoshop CS2 costs around $600 .

There are other Photoshop products that cost much less .

Photoshop Artist (beware, I'm guessing here), costs much cheaper.

I'm sure there are other Photoshop products that cost around $60-70.
(Or so I've heared around the forum posts)

If you know of any other Photoshop stuff that cost less, get my attention. I would really like to know about it.

Sean
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2006 09:11
I really like Photoplus http://www.serif.com

G4fan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2006 21:05
The link was great. Thanks for the insite.

Sean
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2006 23:38
You're welcome.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-08 18:23:55
Your offset time is: 2024-10-08 18:23:55