Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / The contest and file locking

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2006 02:31
If Nvidia is hosting this contest i would like to lock my files because i'm never in a mood for someone ripping me off so any one got any fps file lockings because i don't want to make a game with free to take files. uh help plz
Silent Thunder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2006 03:13
Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2006 04:03
While FPSPack is good, I wouldn't rely on it to protect your files... Well not the current release anyway... I think the only way to truly protect your files would be to edit the source code and enable encryption of some type... I have no idea if this is possible or even where you would start

'Dawn of the Fallen Angel' coming soon(ish)...
filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2006 04:46
Most such file packing utilities simply extract the files to a TEMP directory and run the exe.

For a layman, maybe its tough to get the files he wants, but a simple search in the Temp files can get you the complete extracted folder.

So I wouldnt really say it protects your work. Like thraxas said, it would be better if you can modify the exe or something.

-- n00b at playing games...and now at making em too :p --
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2006 05:26
Red another thing to do is like geeks at summer camp and sewing my name in my underware. I've started welding in a 28 poly tag that has my name imbedded in it. If they wanna delete the tag they better wanna re-uvmap and retexture. Yet another way to make it harder on thieves.
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2006 05:47
Quote: "Yet another way to make it harder on thieves. "

That's just it...
You can make it harder but you will never stop them.
Locks are for honest people, because a thief will break them. No method is "hackproof".
If they want it, and they have the knowledge, then they will get it.

So, what's the point?
It's all in vain.

I plan on using an installer for the compo, but it installs everything just like TGC's FPSC and most of the off-the-shelf pc games do, in folders you can open and browse through. The license agreement is your only real protection, and that ain't much.

Have a good license agreement, and that takes care of the honest ones.
And if you're that worried about it, then have a good lawyer for the dishonest ones.

Don't forget to visit Conjured Entertainment
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2006 06:18
CE, your a "glass half empty" kinda guy arent ya? The point is to have the licence..Have the tag..all the goodies...I figure if a modeler is good enough to remove my tags and re map and retexture the item....he'd of done it for himself in the first place. There is no all incompasing way to deal with butt holes. The point is to make it as hard as you can. and at 28 polys it's an easy mask to throw on an object.

Quote: "So, what's the point?
It's all in vain."

Point is to not make it easy on people. Its really easy for me to click File>import>!!LocTag, then attach/weld verts. Most pubs won't even know it's there. And those that open up a model in a modeling prog prior to using it in a game would also be able to model it themselves more then likely. And regaurdless they have to re-uvmap and re-texture and re-animate to get rid of it....So? Is it going to be worth it when you have the knowledge of how to do it? Probably not. These tacics only save you from the noobs, cause the pros don't need your media anyways. Not saying anything about a licencing, but first you gotta prove its yours...
I email my self each model I make to an account I never use. This copyrights it and dates it, which is all thats needed in a court of law. Same deal with music and mailing yourself a song you did. Companies like to tell you it takes hundreds of dollars to copyright but this is all you need......Long as you can prove you have it dated before they did you'll win. I'll pass on letting all my media be exposed in a folder kk thx.
Silent Thunder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2006 06:27 Edited at: 30th Oct 2006 06:28
Quote: "No method is "hackproof"."

hehehe, you got that right i know from my high school experience, i changed the administrator password and locked them out.

filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2006 06:32
lol..that IS a nice idea Locrian! You know what, I am going to do the same thing now on (hope you dont have a copyright on that idea )

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2006 07:02 Edited at: 30th Oct 2006 07:07
With the model packs as cheap as they are...who would want to steal a model anyway?

Some kid ripping you, and Unreal, GTA, etc, for a fan game?

It's not like they will be releasing a commercial game in Wal-Mart using your media.
Like you said...
Quote: "These tacics only save you from the noobs, cause the pros don't need your media anyways."

I think everybody worries about this too much.
How many times have you had someone steal your models?
And if a noob does take them from here, won't we all know who's model it really is?

Quote: "CE, your a "glass half empty" kinda guy arent ya? "

Half empty , half full, there is no difference except our perception.
If I am filling it then its half full.
If I am emptying it then its half empty.

Its level is halfway regardless, so to me the only difference is the direction of change.

Don't forget to visit Conjured Entertainment
Red Raven Media
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2006 03:24
well i make a bunch of my own stuff, modded and from scratch. but i want to keep my ones from scratch the safest. so i really don't know what to do so thats why im learning code next summer to do some thing about the fps loose files, it will probaly take a while though
BULLSHOCK 2
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2006 05:21
only distributing DBO models with your game will stop stealing from everyone exept DBp'ers, but i dont know about textures.

and i also wouldent totally rely on FPSpack to stop all theft, it only works with people that have minimum computer knowledge...

http://www.seqoiagames.com/seqoiacorp/
filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2006 06:16
Quote: "only distributing DBO models with your game will stop stealing from everyone exept DBp'ers"

could you elaborate a little Bullshock? I didnt get you.

transient
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2006 07:10 Edited at: 3rd Nov 2006 07:11
You can't use alternate installers for the nVidia competition anyway.

Also realise that by entering the competition, you have to give TGC non-exclusive permission to use your game as they see fit. This doesn't bother me, but others have raised concerns.

In my opinion, the best defence against people stealing your assets is the indi community itself.

Chances are that if you steal something off someone, you'll be busted. The best defence therefore would be to properly identify the stuff being yours in the first place, on forums like this.

My 2c.

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2006 08:57
Quote: "It's not like they will be releasing a commercial game in Wal-Mart using your media."

Actually they will.... at least they will considerer doing so, it's part of the prices.

http://www.gamefun4u.nl/index.html
GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
Red Raven Media
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2006 02:52
oh well i'll just not use any of my soon to be good stuff

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-08 19:27:21
Your offset time is: 2024-10-08 19:27:21