Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Get truespace 4.3 for $20 and it's legal

Author
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2006 13:32
Just to let you know if you if you want good animation software go to google and type in "truespace openhouse" and you click on the first link. On this site you can get a full version of truespace 4.3 for $20, you also get

2. The "Spirit of the Interface" video course

3. A $20 discount on Caligari products and video training courses

4. Membership in the trueSpace Forums

5. Access to a community of your peers and Caligari staff

This is no joke and it is not illegal, it is a part of the caligari website. I would like to thank the person who posted this ages ago, I just thought I would make a new post telling other people about it because his/her post will probably have slipped down the list of posts by now.
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2006 14:10
It's a good deal for those getting into 3D, but that version of TS will not export .X animations (I'm not even sure if it exports .X meshes). As such, it's kind of useless for FPSC without a few other additional tools like Milkshape (for file conversions) and a UV mapper (I'm not sure if V4 had a UV Mapper).

I have no idea why they separated points 4 and 5, as they are the same thing. But for someone wishing to use this for content creation, you'd be better off spending the $20 on Milkshape. But, this is only my opinion; thanks for bringing it to everyone's attention.

-Keith

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2006 14:30
TrueSpace and .x aren't friends and never have been, I'm not sure if they ever will be.

You could use TS4.3 for static entity modeling, but you will have to export as .3ds and have a seperate uv mapping application aswell to map you texture correctly. You cannot use this for animated entities or characters.

TS4.3 is good for modeling (as is each version of TrueSpace), but for animation and UV mapping you need to look elsewhere.

http://www.gamefun4u.nl/index.html
GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2006 17:59
That is one of the reasons I bought Milkshape instead.
I have read a variety of threads (some on this forum) and without fail they have pointed out that Truespace and .x don't work well together.
Since FPSC uses .x models I chose Milkshape instead.
For $20 it is the best modeling program you can get.
Just my opinion.

transient
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2006 01:27 Edited at: 2nd Nov 2006 01:28
It depends on what version of truespace you are using.

Gamespace works well for me, but I have to put my models through Fragmotion first, which is no big deal.

Truespace 4 would be better if you were trying to learn how to do stills or animations imo.

You can get better modelling programs than Milkshape for free, like Wings or Blender, but Milkshape's simpler and still pretty decent.

I think Fragmotion is more powerful than MS, definitely for animations, but it's all personal preference in the end.

fik
Years of Service
User Offline
This offer finished yesterday
Quote: "
Remember that you must order by Tuesday 31st October, so don't miss your chance to get started in 3D for only $19.95. We look forward to welcoming you as our latest member of the Caligari community.
"

And please milkshape is $25 or 25 euro
Fragmotion http://www.fragmosoft.com/ is $20 and seems to be ok not as good as milkshape Imo but usable .x export
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2006 01:51
Does Fragmotion export to as many different file configurations as Milkshape? Even grabbing both MS and Fragmotion would still be a deal, considering you'd be spending more money anyways if you went with Truespace 4.

If anyone wants to get anything from Caligari for game-making; I suggest Gamespace 1.6, supplimented with MS or Fragmotion (as Transient suggested). If you don't have much money, I suggest you start with Milkshape and get the basics down. You'll be using MS even after you move to another application, if only for a file converter.

-Keith

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2006 09:39
Quote: "Gamespace works well for me, but I have to put my models through Fragmotion first, which is no big deal."

I love this statement.... Gamespace works well, but...... so gameSpace doesn't work well at all. If it would work well, you wouldn't need Fragmotion at all.

GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
transient
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2006 10:15
@Keith - No, Milkshape and Unwrap 3d are better in this regard. I like Fragmotion because it is the only app I've used that can export animated entities to FPSC. Milkshape and Unwrap 3d do this too, so I've heard.

@Benjamin - I don't mind that GS doesn't export directly into FPSC, as I've found a cheap way of resolving this issue. If you don't agree, that's fine, but being snide about it doesn't help anybody I don't think.
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2006 10:26
But the thing is, why spent $200 for gameSpace if it's not sufficient at all, then you be better of buying Milkshape/Fragmotion and TrueSpace 4.3, may works just as well.

Or even cheaper, get wings or anim8or with Milkshape/Fragmotion. I just don't see the point for people recommending gameSpace (with all it's broken features and import/eports not working as they should) if a free or cheap tool can do the job just as well.

transient
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2006 10:59
I recently argued this same point with regards to Lightwave, and on reflection I think I was wrong.

GS undeniably has it's frustrations, but then I've seen a lot of cool stuff created with it.

I like it, but then I haven't realy disliked any of the apps I've tried this year (Carrara, Lightwave, GS, Hexagon, Shade, Poser, Fragmo). They all have something going for them.

At the moment I'm using Hex for modelling and texturing, and I'm using Poser for animations, and blending them in Fragmo. Some people would hate doing this, but it doesn't faze me.

tyrano man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2006 18:23
@transient:y do u have to put the models through frag motion?

i just animate them in gamespace

gw:tyrano man-lvl 20 E/Mo
tyrano man kill-Lvl 8 W/Mo
rs:tyrano man 2-lvl 68
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2006 18:51
Have you exported the Gamespace animation for use with FPSC?

Lizblizz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2006 01:15 Edited at: 15th Nov 2006 01:16
Keith is right it dont export so sad

oh and keith just asking when u make a model and u want to save it as a 3ds.

dose it come out all jacked up?

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2006 01:20
Not that I'm aware of.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-08 19:30:17
Your offset time is: 2024-10-08 19:30:17