Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Dark GDK.NET / C# / OOP / random questions

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2006 23:26
Hi all,

Haven't touched any TGC products in a while now but continue to read the newsletter. In the last one, I see about Dark GDK.NET. I searched for a bit more info about this new product but didn't find much. I'm really interrested in it as I'm a C# coder and currently working on a project with XNA beta.

I'm looking for answers to these questions, thanks for your help :

1. What is it exactly ? A dll offering the DBPro methods ?

2. Is anybody using it with C# (1.1 or 2.0) ? What are the current issues, limitations, etc... ?

3. Having this for .NET, does it mean you can now use OOP AND the ease of use of DBPro ?

Anything else you may tell me to convince me to try it over XNA ?

There are only 10 kinds of programmers - those who understand binary, and those who don't.
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2006 01:24
Quote: "1. What is it exactly ? A dll offering the DBPro methods ?"

A COM dll useable from .NET (1.1 or 2.0) offering methods in-line with the lib dgdk

Quote: "2. Is anybody using it with C# (1.1 or 2.0) ? What are the current issues, limitations, etc... ? "

My tests have included VB.NET in framework 1.1 and 2.0, in VS Enterprise 2003, and VS Pro 2005. Others like the author, Paul(Apexnow), have tested both vb.net and c# in many other dev platforms which the dgdk.net supports, like Sharpdev for example. Apex can explain more about any possible limitations.

Quote: "3. Having this for .NET, does it mean you can now use OOP AND the ease of use of DBPro ? "

yes exactly. this was the constant theme of my prodding of Apex

Quote: "Anything else you may tell me to convince me to try it over XNA ?"

I havent used XNA and its a bit early to compare this new product to anything else imho. I know currently xna is only for c#, not sure if later versions of xna will support vb.net, which may be a concern to a lot of developers. With .NET there is never a good reason to have something available to one language, and not the other - especially since .NET 2.0/2005

MrBlack
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2006 09:46
Thank you for these answers. I will then give it a try... I liked the idea behind DBP back when it went out but I'm an OOP fan so never used it much.

Quote: "I know currently xna is only for c#, not sure if later versions of xna will support vb.net"

Yes, Other .NET languages will be useable with XNA. At the moment, there are some compatibility issues between VB.NET and C#.NET regarding XNA and as it is a beta, MS is concentrating on the core libs rather than on language implementation.

Anyway, I'm off to go buy a freeware license for DGDK.NET

There are only 10 kinds of programmers - those who understand binary, and those who don't.
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2006 14:41
nice. enjoy.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-06-17 04:50:46
Your offset time is: 2024-06-17 04:50:46