Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / DGDK.net / VB.net Express / Impressed so far

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2006 10:38
I was lucky enough to have a couple of days this weekend to do some pre-released testing.

I managed to take the menu system and title screen +music over from DBPro by basically looking at the commands then looking at the DGDK.net help in around 2 1/2 hours. And I must admit it seems to be a lot more responsive and quicker than the DBPro route too. And it's OO to boot.

I've just spent the last few days creating the classes to hold all the data the game engine uses. Hopefully by this weekend I'll be working on the Character Generator code.

One thing I would say to people using this. Follow the initial tutorial as this will show you how to set up the security the DGSDK.net uses.

Jas

----
"What is this talk of 'release'? Klingons do not'release' software. It escapes leaving a bloody trail of developers and quality assurance people in its wake!"
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2006 00:12
Speaking of the security, it sure seems like a hassle just to get a program compiled and running on DGDK.NET (what with the authenticator, etc.)

And there weren't as many examples included in the software as I would have liked (just one or two). Although I could be looking in the wrong place.

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2006 00:41
I made a template for studio for dgdk.net which takes care of the first few steps (dgdk module, main module with dgdk init routine and standard generic commands for gui setup, Sub Main framework etc) then I just run Auth app and paste key, then add in the .dgdk file, set to embedded resource, and away I go.

Takes about 60 seconds to go from nothing to a ready to code-in project. Project template really is a big time saver.

APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2006 01:47
Jeku, the unfortunate thing is that the security aspect is essential because alot of developers will never obfuscate their .NET code. So any keys and such are easily available if their app was decompiled. Security and authentication is necessary to protect the product from misuse.

Paul.

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2006 04:55
@CR - Thanks for that good idea.

@Apex - Ahhh I see why you did that now. Thanks for clearing that up

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2006 14:40