Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Level Collision

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2006 00:56 Edited at: 4th Nov 2006 00:57
I was wondering if its best to break up a level Iam working on in 3D MAX, and make the parts into segments, or will it work just the same if I add it as a whole?

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2006 02:29
Segments of course, otherwise you'll get the infamous collision problems.

People tried importing complete levels before, but always failed due to collision problems. Once an imported item (whatever it may be) get's to large, FPSC can't calculate the collision data correctly anymore.

http://www.gamefun4u.nl/index.html
GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
Silent Thunder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2006 02:47
How do you import fpsc levels into 3ds max?

(i did do a search for everything that i could think of)

SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2006 13:08
Silent Thunder, Iam making my level in 3D Max and then exporting it as an x file. Iam not making it in fpsc then importing to Max.

So Benjamin, if I keep my level in small parts, small enough for what they are, I shouldnt get collision problems?

Silent Thunder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2006 17:35
Quote: "Silent Thunder, Iam making my level in 3D Max and then exporting it as an x file. Iam not making it in fpsc then importing to Max."

oooohhhh!! Sorry.

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2006 18:53
In theory not, but my guess would be that you can't make them larger then 3x3x1. At least when making terrains larger like those, the lag and collision problems start to appear.

If you're going to work that small, you may as well turn everything into segments, that's going to build you levels much faster.

GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2006 01:50
Well every thing I have built so far can be grouped into 3x3x1 parts. I just wish fpsc wasnt so fussy with collision, it would be better if it was more like half life 2, but hey, fpsc doesnt use havoc.

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2006 01:59 Edited at: 5th Nov 2006 02:01
FPSC wasn't build to take levels from different applications. TGC only had to worry about relatively small items for collisions, until we came along. The collisions are more or less based on one segment size only, ot was never intended to be stretched beyond that. Items & segments larger then the 1 fpsc square are a potential problem in regards to collsions.

Using larger collision schemes, means a larger demand on your system, means FPSC will even run slower on your system. Keeping the collision for small areas only is very fast. TGC couldn't even add it if they wanted too, it would slow down FPSC even more, create more angry customers and so on.

I'm pretty sure in the future TGC will sort this problem out, since the demand for this is great, as well as the demand for outside levels. So one day they'll have to do something about it. But it will not be before the speed issues have been dealt with and perhaps now even in v1.x.

SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2006 03:11
I cant understand why half life 2 runs better than fpsc. Did tgc program fpsc badly?

If I get problems, I may just build crappy box rooms...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-08 18:22:20
Your offset time is: 2024-10-08 18:22:20