Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / DGDK.Net ?? Comments and feedback

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2006 22:38
Hello All,

I am a C# .Net Developer and I have been watching DarkBasic for quite some time. I noticed that DGDK.Net is out now and I wanted to get some feedback from some people that have used it. I believe now is the time to finally start my game development studio (www.biblerama.com) and build it around the DGDK.Net has to offer. I also plan on using the 3D World Builder, to help speed up the creation of worlds for my games.

Of course the name implies the type of games I will be making, Christian based, Bible Based, etc. Anyway, I wanted to see if anyone has had a chance to make use of DGDK.Net to make a game with it, and what kind of feedback does everyone have to say about DGDK.Net?

thanks so much in advance, and God bless you!

- Software with a smile!
www.biblerama.com
Hypno Screen
Years of Service
User Offline
I use DGDK.Net with VB.Net and it's a real pleasure to use! Coding is really easy and I'm finally able to create the tabletop-like RPG I imagined so long (if you know Hero Quest you might get an idea what I want to do). Here's a sample code of DGDK.Net using C# and showing a spinning cube:

http://www.bitshade.org
biblerama
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2006 15:40

Well it's good to hear some solid feedback. I have been waiting for a while to, I did not want to buy DarkBASIC Pro and learn a new IDE, etc.

I was wondering, how far have you made it with your game? Since you both the GDK?

Anyway thanks for the feedback. I am just waiting to see what everyone thinks about the DGDK.Net. I am pretty sure this is the route I am going to take for my games, but it's really between this and Torque... (www.garagegames.com) and I am more and more liking this!

- Software with a smile!
www.biblerama.com
adr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2006 19:29 Edited at: 12th Nov 2006 19:30
I use the DGDK.NET with c# and it's a very interesting experience. I've moved up from DBPro and I'm in OO heaven! You've got the simplicity of DBPro (make object plain) but with the power of .NET. It's a very rewarding experience because development is much more modular.

I'm superfly TNT
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2006 20:57
Quote: "I'm in OO heaven! You've got the simplicity of DBPro...but with the power of .NET. It's a very rewarding experience because development is much more modular."

development is much better in every concievable way imho!
its what I have been waiting for

/me codes...

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2006 21:00
I really like working with it, except for the restrictive license. From what I know the original DGSDK does not have a limited license like the .NET version does.

jasuk70
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2006 10:50 Edited at: 13th Nov 2006 11:07
I'm working on a re-development of a game engine I was writing in DBPro. It's now in VB.net and it has been a very easy conversion so far. Being able to use an OO Language has made my life much much easier and the simplicity of DBPro with the power of .net behind it has made a great development environment.

Click Here for WIP Link

Hypno, looking forward to seeing you implementation of a Hero Quest like game.

Jas

----
"What is this talk of 'release'? Klingons do not'release' software. It escapes leaving a bloody trail of developers and quality assurance people in its wake!"
Miguel Melo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I really like working with it, except for the restrictive license."

What is this restrictive licence you talk about?

I have vague plans for World Domination
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2006 17:38
@Biblerama, I think since the dgdk.net has just been released you might be hard-pressed to find anyone with any completed games yet. There a few cool demos in the kit, and plenty of people are working on games currently. I guess I'd just say "stay tuned" and see what "develops" - pun intended

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2006 21:58
Quote: "What is this restrictive licence you talk about?"

I just don't like this separation between freeware and shareware/commercial licenses. I really can't blame TGC for this as it's a trend.

James Bondo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2006 18:12
Hey guys.

Just bought this a few days ago, and i like it.

I have a few sugestions.

- It would have been nice if a project template came along with the installation. So instead of making a new, lets say console application, and then doing all that stuff you need to do to get a compileable project, you could just select New Project -> DGDK.NET Application. ATM im working on making my own template.

- I would like to get a new version of the authenticator application that takes the path to your compiled exe as parameters. This way you could add it to the External Tools (atleast in C#.NET Express) for easy access.

- This is a bit hard to explain. I would have liked to see some documentation inside the IDE. Tho i dont know if its even possible to do on the actual commands due to the nature of this library. See screenshot to see what i mean.
http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1562/docexamplety0.jpg

Cheers

Proud member of The Unforgiven Warriors
http://www.tuwguild.com
James Bondo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2006 18:21
And heres the template. I made it for Visual C# 2005 Express Edition, but it might work with other IDE's. Heres how:

First download the zip attached to this post.

Save it to your
My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Templates\ProjectTemplates\*.zip

Dont extract it, but just start the IDE.

There should be a new project template called "DGDK Console Application".

All you have to do now is to edit the assembly information and compile with F6. Then authenticate using the
MyProject\bin\Release\*.exe
and paste the key into the Initializer.

Proud member of The Unforgiven Warriors
http://www.tuwguild.com

Attachments

Login to view attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 23:17:47
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 23:17:47