Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / DarkGDK with IronPython?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2006 02:31
Hi folks,

My apologies if these questions have been answered previously but I didn't have luck finding answers to them when searching.

After toying with FPSCreator for a day I'm considering DarkBasic as well. Personally I'd prefer to use Python, as 1) that is the common language between other apps I have and 2) I have fallen in love with the language.

Is there any reason you would not be able to use any .NET language with DarkGDK.NET? I would love to use IronPython (Python for .NET) or even JScript.NET, as second choice, with DarkBasic.

Also, according to this post the libraries in DarkGDK are COM libraries. Is it safe to say that any language with COM support could use them?

Also, why are there two versions of DarkGDK (Freeware License and Commercial License) and one of Dark Game SDK? In my limited understanding I would have thought the Dark Game SDK would have incurred a separate Commercial license before .NET.
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2006 03:04
Although the DGDK.NET toolkit is a COM based system, this technically means that if your language, even the likes of VB6, can call the functions of the COM interface. The problem is that DGDK.NET implements a security procedure to protect unauthorised use of the COM component. The default .NET implementations for each of the languages (VB.NET and C#.NET) have project inclusion files that setup this information automatically for a user's project. I have not implemented this modules for any other language except for VB.NET and C#. The files can be converted to work with Python or VB6 without too much trouble though.

The licensing issues for the products will need to be answered by the TGC guys themselves, but iirc, this is not the only product that implementes a two tier licensing system.

Paul.

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2006 03:26
Quote: "why are there two versions of DarkGDK (Freeware License and Commercial License) and one of Dark Game SDK?"

There isn't. There are two versions of both 'Dark Game SDK' and DarkGDK .NET. In each case there is a Freeware version and a Commercial version. Both versions are on the Order pages, with license upgrade options as well. DarkGDK .NET uses the same two-tier system as Dark Game SDK does, at the exact same price points.

"Bite my shiny metal ass" (Futurama)
"Don't ping my cheese with your bandwidth" (Dilbert)
Tony Edwards
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2006 03:43
Thank you both for the quick response.

I'll check into converting the files to work with Python and what that entails. Worst case scenario guess I'll have to breakdown and learn C#.

Sorry, I should have worded that last question, differently. I have no problems with the the fact there are two license options. I was just curious as to why the for .NET and not C++. Turns out it was irrelevant anyway.

@Richard Davey - Thanks! As I don't know C++, I didn't make it to the Order page. I landed on what I thought was the DarkGDK .NET's equivalent info for Dark Game SDK and didn't see it there as I did with DarkGDK made the wrong assumption. Thanks for clarifying.
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2006 03:53
No worries, was just clarifying for you (and anyone else reading this)

"Bite my shiny metal ass" (Futurama)
"Don't ping my cheese with your bandwidth" (Dilbert)
Miguel Melo
Years of Service
User Offline
Sooooo... Richard... any word on the discount C++ GDK users have when buying the .Net version?

I have vague plans for World Domination
Hypno Screen
Years of Service
User Offline
Just a little hint for everyone who wants scripting for their games/apps made with DGDK.NET: search the help for "ICodeCompiler"

You can even make your own .Net compiler but I prefer to use it for scripting purposes. This way you'll be able to code the core of the game and then extend it using C#/VB.Net.

http://www.bitshade.org
Tony Edwards
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2006 23:52
Cool tip.

Turns out XSI 6 will have C# integration as well as support for other .NET compliant languages. So the path of least resistance may be for me to just learn C#.

Quote: "XSI 6 offers integrated C#, an object-oriented programming language popular with next-gen 3D game developers, and support for Python v.2.5 and .NET compliant languages."

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 09:46:08
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 09:46:08