Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Would FPSC satisfy the needs of my next Game idea?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Guys, I know that FPSC is more restricted in what you can do when compared to DarkBasic or Torque. But I had a game idea and and I was wondering if FPSC would be able to suit my needs. The game I'm going to do is a First Person Adventure game with some light RPG elements. The following are the components that I wanted to have in my game.

1)I know huge open-ended worlds are not possible with FPSC, but would it be possible to have a 2D world-map and let the player move the cursor to select what location they want to go to (i.e. I would structure these as individual levels).

2)What kind of support does FPSC have for "friendy" npc characters. Like would I be able to make a village with people that I would not be able to attack (i.e. if you try to shoot at them, nothing happens) and can I have them talk back to the main character and have semi-descent text-driven conversation.

3)How difficult would it be to implement a leveling system? For example, could the main player have an "experience" score and every time he kills an enemy, he gets experience points, and at certain designated levels, the main characters defensive or attack power goes up?

4)I need a program that works well with a 3rd party programs and formats. How easy is it to import 3D models into FPSC?

5)How difficult would it be implement a fetch-type of game style in FPSC? For example, a player goes to a level which has a door. However the door is in another part of the world, so he leaves, goes to the world map, and selects the level that the key is in. After the player obtains the key, he exits that level and goes back to the original level.

I think that is it for now, do you have any general advice for me. Thanks!
Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2006 06:09
1)I know huge open-ended worlds are not possible with FPSC, but would it be possible to have a 2D world-map and let the player move the cursor to select what location they want to go to (i.e. I would structure these as individual levels).

Level Selection? Debatable. Use of mouse is also debatable (You DO have menu capabilities... but few have shown the use of them). But use of keyboard for selection is totally allowed, and use of commands to teleport the player to a location is also allowed.

2)What kind of support does FPSC have for "friendy" npc characters. Like would I be able to make a village with people that I would not be able to attack (i.e. if you try to shoot at them, nothing happens) and can I have them talk back to the main character and have semi-descent text-driven conversation.

Search Talk in the scripts section.

3)How difficult would it be to implement a leveling system? For example, could the main player have an "experience" score and every time he kills an enemy, he gets experience points, and at certain designated levels, the main characters defensive or attack power goes up?
As far as I know, you can't edit player damage, HOWEVER, there is an old V1.0 mod for RPG Elements (Revial: Teh FAQ)

4)I need a program that works well with a 3rd party programs and formats. How easy is it to import 3D models into FPSC?

Easy.

5)How difficult would it be implement a fetch-type of game style in FPSC? For example, a player goes to a level which has a door. However the door is in another part of the world, so he leaves, goes to the world map, and selects the level that the key is in. After the player obtains the key, he exits that level and goes back to the original level.

What? Rereference to original question? Depending on how the 'level selection' gig turns out.

Wisemen are hard to find, they are tarnished by sayings and quotes that are not of their true nature.
Doughboy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2006 06:15 Edited at: 14th Nov 2006 06:17
You're very very limited in what you can do in FPSC.

You'll want to use TGE. You can use elements from the RPG & FPS sample programs to get you started.

Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2006 03:49 Edited at: 16th Nov 2006 03:51
Quote: "You'll want to use TGE"

Not really... i got suckered in by the (at the time) $100 price tag and excellent demo... I have started numerous projects and never finished anything as the TGE itself also has limits but you don't know about these until you try and get it to do something it doesn't like...

My brother in law and I found it wanting in many areas... I know many people like it but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone...

Once I've finished Dawn of the Fallen Angel, I might upgrade to Darkbasic Pro...

In answer to the original question.. I don't believe FPSC is capable of doing what you want in this case...

'Dawn of the Fallen Angel' coming soon(ish)...
Silent Thunder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2006 06:30
Doughboy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2006 13:31
TGE = Torque Game Engine

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-08 19:29:20
Your offset time is: 2024-10-08 19:29:20